Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 290022 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Here in Sanny Sarfend we have had almost no wind since about 5pm yesterday.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Drizzle in leafy GU22 earlier but nothing resembling Proper Rain since dog knows when.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Clare

• Is in NZ
So far its been OK, we slept through the worst of it last night but there’s supposed to be stronger winds later today. I think the eye is passing over us at the moment, hardly any wind but a load of rain.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Saw video from Coromandel coast. Wow.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
How are you doing, Clare?

Clare

• Is in NZ
It's still raining and a bit windy, it has calmed down a lot from last night. We've not had any damage as far as we can tell but I'm not going outside to check the roof until God stops pissing on us.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
 :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
It's still raining and a bit windy, it has calmed down a lot from last night. We've not had any damage as far as we can tell but I'm not going outside to check the roof until God stops pissing on us.

Which bits of Auckland are worst affected, Clare? We've heard buggerall from our daughter, which is reasonably par for the course, but she lives in the Ellerslie suburb, if that's any help. Can't help but feeling a tad concerned...

Clare

• Is in NZ
TBH we're not sure, as far as we can tell it is the western areas that have been affected most and also low lying and coastal areas. We've not heard any bad news regarding Ellerslie itself.

Clare

• Is in NZ
The wind is picking up again, Gabrielle is like that really annoying guest at a party who is in your face all night then fails to leave when everybody else has taken the hint.

Clare

• Is in NZ
Wow, there is a section of Ellerslie that has an unplanned power outage at the moment but that's all I can find. Look here for more info if you have her address.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Thanks. Have heard from daughter now with a “We’re OK”. They have only been at that address since early December.

Clare

• Is in NZ
Thats good to hear.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
NZ's weather event has even made C4 News :jurek:

Clare

• Is in NZ
The sun is now shining, the rain is no longer raining and the wind is being a lot less windy.

We've been lucky, no damage here that we can see, still got power and all pretty much back to normal here on the North Shore. Other areas have not been so lucky.

The sun is now shining, the rain is no longer raining and the wind is being a lot less windy.

We've been lucky, no damage here that we can see, still got power and all pretty much back to normal here on the North Shore. Other areas have not been so lucky.
Are your cherry-red DMs ok?

Clare

• Is in NZ
All my DMs are safe in the shoe cupboard*, there has been no water leakage into the house so they are all OK.

*First place I checked  :-[

Hah!  ;D

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Gadzooks!  It's actually raining!

Clare

• Is in NZ
What? It can't be, I'm not in the country!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Temperature forecast for 9 am: 2.5°C.  Actual temperature: -2° + fog beginning to form.  That buggers up my plans for today quite nicely.  Not riding on ice.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
There are rumblings of SNO in March.  March SNO never lasts long, though.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

Sorry, my fault: I removed the studded tyres.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
It seems to have rained overnight.  Finally 
Must been reasonably heavy as one of our daffs has done a complete faceplant onto the lawn.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper

It did in 1947. The early March blizzard is down as one of the worst in the entire 20th century. To quote my dad "There was a train stuck at Bargoed for a month!" (He may have been exaggerating, but he always maintained that 1947 was snowier than 1962-63).

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_of_1946%E2%80%9347_in_the_United_Kingdom:

On 4–5 March came heavy snow which left drifts across much of the country with some lying 7 metres (23 ft) deep in the Scottish Highlands.[6] On 5 March one of the worst British blizzards of the 20th century occurred.[9] Food supplies were again affected by the snow-bound roads and in some places the police requested permission to break into delivery lorries stranded by the snow.[9]

On 10 March milder air of 7–10 °C (45–50 °F) began to move north across the country from the south-west, rapidly thawing the snow lying on low ground.[6] However, after such a long frost the ground stayed frozen. The frozen ground caused much surface run off which resulted in widespread flooding. Further heavy snowfalls occurred as the milder air pushed northwards. On 14 March the deepest ever recorded depth of snow lying in an inhabited location of the UK was measured at Forest-in-Teesdale in County Durham at 83 inches (210 cm).[13] On 15 March a deepening depression moved in from the Atlantic, bringing heavy rain and gales.[6] It was the start of the wettest March for 300 years.[12] By 16 March winds reached 50 knots (90 km/h) with 90-knot (170 km/h) gusts, causing breaches in dykes in East Anglia that resulted in the flooding of 100 square miles (260 km2) of land,[6][9] and blowing many trees down. The rivers Thames and Lea flooded in London, causing the Windsor borough engineer Geoffrey Baker to remark: "We could only cope if we had a spare Thames, or two."[11]