Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 291982 times)

Mama Mia. Bone dry here and could do with some rain asap, with lots of it.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Mama Mia. Bone dry here and could do with some rain asap, with lots of it.

Likewise. We were promised some rain on Sunday, but instead had wall-to-wall sunshine and a high of 30.3ºC. Now looking maybe at some on Thursday, but each time I check the forecast, there's less probability of it and the period gets shorter!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Mizzle all day here. Not proper rain, so not really doing much good.  Gloomy and only 18°. Bit of a crap day, really.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

We did have a reasonable (6mm or so) amount of rain overnight Wednesday, and today it’s much much cooler, but once again bone dry.

And today (Friday) is the first day in probably 6 weeks we’ve had both lunch and afternoon tea in the house, and haven’t sat outside at all. 17C, breezy and spitting.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

What's with the weather?
I've just run a bath and all of the mirrors (ie: all the walls upwards from about elbow height) in the bathroom are steamed up.
Just like in winter.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
TV weatherbod has just said the wind is coming from the general direction of Greenland.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jul/03/fears-of-further-fish-deaths-after-hottest-june-in-uk-history

Hottest June on record in the UK, it seems. Didn't seem like that down here, particularly in the first half of the month. My weather station claims that the mean temperature in Saarfend was 18.4°C . but I'm not sure how they calculate that. I think it's supposed to be done on an hourly-reading basis. I don't know that the Davis station, or the Weewx software, does that.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Well Wimbledon has started, and it’s properly pissing it down here in the Lee of the Chilterns, and set to do so for a several of hours yetawhile.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
To judge from the dripping noises coming from outside the Great Hall it's been raining in East Londonton too.  It was certainly dark enough.

To judge from the dripping noises coming from outside the Great Hall it's been raining in East Londonton too.  It was certainly dark enough.
Work is currently located about 8 miles north of your abode.
It got sufficiently dark for the street lights in the car park to switch on.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
WE in Saarfend are getting proper rain. 8.8mm today so far, according to the device on the roof.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
And in E14, the pond and two waterbutts are now full.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
The last rain we had, 3mm, 3/4 filled one water butt. The one that drains the garage is much less full. There's one that benefits from about half the water that drains off the house roof. Before we had the extension built in 2000, all the roof water went into the drains now less than half of it does.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Chucking it down out there. My butts will be full.

Our water gauge - a plastic “true” left out in the garden - registers close to 25mm of rain overnight.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
17.5mm for us.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Don't know how much fell in the region of Wayland's Smithy but it was enough to make me walk down the hill and catch a bus into Swindon rather than spend another night under canvas, or even sil-nylon. Shame, as Monday night was blissful and Tuesday morning had been pretty gorgeous too. I was lucky to catch the last of the five buses a day though (a good service in comparison to many places, I know).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

There was the feeling of rain to come this morning - the sort of morning that when you go down to the beach the sea is a glassy calm. We duly had our 10 minute thunderstorm. We are now sitting outside in what feels like warm soup. Accuweather claims 72% humidity. I’d argue that’s an underestimate.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Weather app says rain imminent.  Sun is shining.  So natch it will start to rain as soon as I depart Larrington Towers wearing the wrong glasses for the prevailing conditions.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Barakta and I spent last night loitering within tent (and what's more, en velo).  It was Too Hot, and the Wet Office kept promising us a soaking at inconsistent times this morning.  Fortunately it had the good manners to wait until we were under 10km from home.  The temperature has now crept back up bringing the humidity with it...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Rather a lot of rain just arrived...

Say hello for me. It gave Liverpool a good soaking earlier.  Now it’s just hot & humid again.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

After torrential overnight rain with early evening thunder and lightning it is pleasantly cool this morning.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
We've got 35° forecast for this afternoon. Bah.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
I just went out for a 4K run - 32 degrees here at 9am. Off out for breakfast cake in the convertible, then we will hide inside this afternoon/evening.

Since living in Germany, I have had to get used to the fact it is warmer here between three and six then it is at midday.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk