Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 292019 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
The strong wind due on Sunday is named ‘Isha’.

Bless you!
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

;D
Move Faster and Bake Things

The BBC have woken up:

A dramatic change of weather is in store from this weekend, with weather warnings for strong winds and a new storm named by the Met Office.
Storm Isha - the ninth named storm of the season - will bring heavy rain and strong winds following the ice and snow of the past week.
The strongest winds are expected on Sunday night and into Monday morning, with two amber warnings issued.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-68029897.amp

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Finnish son tells me that his partner reckons she has never seen as much snow as they currently have - and there is more forecast for the coming days. We spoke to him this evening whilst he was bearing logs into the hall. -14.6°C and the possibility of the temperature dropping much lower.

Where they live, it seems that most of the houses belong to rich Helsinki types who use them as summer residences. They are amongst the very few who use their house as their only residence. G was telling me that their snow plough driver is really crap. He cleared their road the other day, and then cleared the road it leads to, leaving a big mount of snow blocking the exit of their road. G & C are the only people who live along that stretch all winter, so they had to go out and clear the mound by hand.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
-24°C forecast for Helsinki at 8am tomorrow.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
-9.6°C this morning.

Tomorrow a week in double figures starts.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Considering it ent supposed to start winding in earnest until tomorrow arvo it’s sounding a bit blowy out there chiz.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Warm here today and most of the snow is melting already.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Son reported -20° at breakfast time this morning.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Only windy in the treetops so far, dead calm (but raining heavily) at ground level. Nevertheless, I've upside-downed the decking table rather than have to fetch it from goodness knows where in the morning. It's very light and I've had to fetch it back in the past, like an errant dog or adventurous toddler, though I've never known it blow over the garden wall. If it did, it wouldn't be coming back – glass-topped table and it's a drop of 4m or so onto a concrete paved yard.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Loud bang just now wasn’t a Motorised Moron driving into the side of a bus outside Larrington Towers but merely one of the BIIINNNSSS being blown over.  It can stay over too; it’s not as if it can fall any further.

Stolen from Twitter (now X)

Peter Smith
@Redpeter99
A timely reminder from the Met Office not to creosote your shed tomorrow.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
It's pretty wild out there.  I walked a couple of miles in it to feed SO's cats.  Cheap waterproof trousers - great.  Cheap nylon cagoule - useless.  Should have worn the waxed jacket and waxed hat.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Up next is Storm Jocelyn, due tomorrow.

Cudzoziemiec

Only windy in the treetops so far, dead calm (but raining heavily) at ground level. Nevertheless, I've upside-downed the decking table rather than have to fetch it from goodness knows where in the morning. It's very light and I've had to fetch it back in the past, like an errant dog or adventurous toddler, though I've never known it blow over the garden wall. If it did, it wouldn't be coming back – glass-topped table and it's a drop of 4m or so onto a concrete paved yard.
It's been relatively calm today, so I re-upside-upped the table. This of course precipitated a great precipitation, accompanied by howling houlie, and one of the chairs blew away so I had to go out and re-antipodeanize everything. Nevertheless, the empty kitchen food bin, which I put outside to destinkerize, is still exactly where I left it.

Hailstorm outside..

Cudzoziemiec

I can't remember where I read it, but someone recently suggested that storms should be named after companies involved in fossil fuel extraction, exploration, etc, as a sort of "name and shame" global warming idea. It turns out the actual name sources are completely the opposite:
In previous years, storms have alternated between male and female names.

However, for the 2023-24 season, the Met Office has altered this, naming a number of storms after prominent scientists, meteorologists and others "who work to keep people safe in times of severe weather".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67135325
Read on if you want to find out who Isha, Jocelyn and so on are.

I can't remember where I read it, but someone recently suggested that storms should be named after companies involved in fossil fuel extraction, exploration, etc, as a sort of "name and shame" global warming idea. It turns out the actual name sources are completely the opposite:

However, for the 2023-24 season, the Met Office has altered this, naming a number of storms after prominent scientists, meteorologists and others "who work to keep people safe in times of severe weather".

Storms should be named after fossil fuel companies

Unfortunately I now have a feeling they would think that there is no publicity that is bad publicity.

T42

• Apprentice geezer

Storms should be named after fossil fuel companies

Unfortunately I now have a feeling they would think that there is no publicity that is bad publicity.

And the weather map would be encrusted with corporate logos.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Blimey. They promised us 13° in the south east yesterday, but the highest I recorded was 7.8°C. I went out on the bike at max heating time (13-1400) and my Garmin confirmed that the ride started at z7° and ended at 5°. Today was forecast to be sunny and 14°, but the latest forecast is overcast and 12°. I’m not sure our forecasting-fu is improving…

The weather warning for York was right: it’s <raining rather heavily> and they say it won’t stop today.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Sun is finally making a bit of an effort in the mattress-haunted* steppes of E17.

* A feral mattress has taken up residence against the wall on the opposite side of Larrington Gardens Road