Author Topic: BM Luxos problem  (Read 5777 times)

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
BM Luxos problem
« on: December 12, 2014, 12:27:26 pm »
Pretty new Luxos for PAP - all went well with feed to USB -- but now back in UK and although lights and light control on stem thingy  are working - damned if the feed to the USB and the red charging light is.

I suspect a problem in the stem control units wiring - ( but i am no electrical wizard ) - anyone got any useful info - or is it back to seller ( who the heck was that) - saying --bust - please sort or replace
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

Re: BM Luxos problem
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 08:20:38 pm »
For what it's worth, my Luxos went wonkey and I swiftly returned to seller. Replaced same with Exposure equivalent and have been more than happy with same.
I dunno why anybody's doing this!

Euan Uzami

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 09:17:51 pm »
Pretty new Luxos for PAP - all went well with feed to USB -- but now back in UK and although lights and light control on stem thingy  are working - damned if the feed to the USB and the red charging light is.

I suspect a problem in the stem control units wiring - ( but i am no electrical wizard ) - anyone got any useful info - or is it back to seller ( who the heck was that) - saying --bust - please sort or replace

Assuming it's a genuine B&M one (no reason to think it's not - but check) then I would concur that the USB cable seems to be the weakest part of it.
Mine works fine but I have noticed the black outer sheathing is slightly coming away where it goes into the USB socket/switch thing, leaving the inner wires visible. Still housed, not bare metal wire, but even so.
As well as that it's far too long even with my fairly long headtube and I have to wrap it round the bracket a few times. I think if I was buying again I'd go for the luxos B, rather than the U, given that I don't actually use the USB function very much.

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 11:06:35 pm »
Thought that I wanted the USB to charge mobile using followmee tracker during PAP - but "rural" Oz had negligible  mobile coverage ....so not much use there. But having paid for it - i would like it to work !!

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 01:18:53 am »
The B lacks some of the clever speed-dependent lighting modes of the U, AFAIK, which might give a reason to go for the U even if you don't feel you need the USB charging.

FB, sounds to me like a return to vendor's in order - I assume it's still in warranty. I believe B&M will accept warranty returns direct from the end-user but say they make a charge if the vendor avoiding its responsibility to act as a middleman.

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 08:25:53 pm »
Not wanting to start A new thread I thought I would post here , My Luxos U arrived this morning from bike-discounts.de so decided to fit it this afternoon and so far I have had no joy what so ever from the thing,not a glimmer of light , now before I send the thing back am I missing some thing blindingly obvious ? I have checked and cleaned all connections , checked that I have the polarity correct at each end,put a meter across the connections and confirmed theirs power coming from the dynamo,connected the old light and one other light to visually confirm power from the dynamo and took the bike out for a ride to make sure the cache battery was charged and still nothing from the light , anything else I can do ?

A quick thought , will the lamp operate with a flat cache battery (surely yes? ) and if not how long a ride to charge said battery .

Paul

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 08:11:10 am »
Decided that I'm clutching at straws here so light is going back as it's obviously not working.

Paul

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 08:50:16 pm »
You have pressed & held down the handlebar remote switch?

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 11:14:38 pm »
Yes both the handlebar switch and the switch on the lamp body ,pretty sure it's dead but just wanted to make sure I  hadn't missed something due to brain fade .

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 02:04:43 pm »
Quick bit here just in case it helps anyone else.

I fitted the Luxos u and a toplight brake tec, supplied new by rose last week. First problem I had, no power for the tail light. Totally distracted by this I didn't actually notice that my edge 810 wasn't getting charged, I will cut the long ragey story very short. Was on the verge of sending the whole show back to Germany, I had removed the back light from my bike, the ok from rose to return and then out of the blue and after nearly 100 km of riding, at speed , with an S,O,N 28, the little red indicator light sprang into life.

So, I refitted the tail light. Guess what all working fine now, just needed lots of distance at speed with a top quality hub dynamo also just a week old.

So just a tip, if you're having problems with this light, get angry and take it out on your pedals in daylight hours

Kim

• An appetite for the epic, but no real stamina
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 02:12:44 pm »
Hmm, I suppose that would be consistent with a deeply discharged lithium battery needing to be trickle-charged until the voltage is high enough for the constant-current charging cycle to begin.  Bit like a phone with a completely flat battery needing to spend some quality time on the charger before showing signs of life.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 09:22:07 am »
Strange, mine arrived fully charged.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 08:14:58 pm »
I have one on order now so this thread is of interest
Audaxing Blog follow @vorsprungbike on

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 03:12:20 pm »
I had continuing disaster with my original purchase ( I suspect that supplier tried to palm me off with an original model hoping to get away with it -this model had a crap control /USB connection system ). returned -- load of cobblers about back to manufacturer for a report - which I do not think happened and then I  had to chase very hard - and finally a replacement arrived ( with no communication ) which had  the new tail connector for the USB.

Keep an eye on what you get -- those foreigners will hope to give you old stock and if you do not ride much ( and not in testing conditions ) you may not have cause to complain -- -- new model seems OK so far.

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 05:13:48 pm »
those foreigners will hope to give you old stock

Care to name and shame which foreigners?

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2015, 05:27:23 pm »
rather belated response to that query

H&S Bike-Discount GmbH

BUT do remember that I have no PROOF for my "guess" - just that after a long time and several chases a replacement arrived out of the blue.

Minor follow up tip -- do NOT drop / mislay /lose the USB connector - or it is back to B & M for spares -- waiting for their response -- so I will be able to tell you the price for my carelessness.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2015, 07:55:49 pm »
I got my Luxos from the german shop bike24.  It has a USB charger as a "tail" and not as shown in the leaflet.  It works/continued to work after a very wet Brevet Cymru
Audaxing Blog follow @vorsprungbike on

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2015, 09:21:54 pm »
FB sings praises of YACF -- got a personal message that here is a supplier of my lost connector

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/busch-and-muller-e-werk-power-cable-circular-plug-to-usb-prod30408/

I will keep you informed of B & Ms reply to my request for 2 new cables - be interesting to see their price

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2015, 07:09:36 am »
FB sings praises of YACF -- got a personal message that here is a supplier of my lost connector

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/busch-and-muller-e-werk-power-cable-circular-plug-to-usb-prod30408/

B&M confirmed that this is the same cable.

For reference, the B&M item number is: E-Werk 461KUSBB
Yes, it's the same cable that the E-Werk uses.

Tal.

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 01:02:34 pm »
B+M 12v bottle system. got Wet. packed up
Exchanged, then took off bike before it got wet

old Cyo ??   works OK

Luxos IQ2. Seemed like a good idea at the time. DEAD on delivery. replaced

Replacemnt recently out in the rain, GOT WET. no back light indicator or light.
returned for repair last week
Got a credit note today for full 2013 price incl vat
Translated some of the 1* reviews
Stuff B+M

Think the replacement will be an Edelux2
Should be ok with shimano n80 dynohub, yes???

sad thing is I have had no bother with B+M rear lights
Until I just jinxed them ;D

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2016, 01:06:04 pm »
Think the replacement will be an Edelux2
Should be ok with shimano n80 dynohub, yes???

Any (modern) light ought to be fine with any (modern) hub dynamo.

(Still happy with my Luxos, until *I* jinx it. Bought s/h on here though, so it's already had one unsatisfied owner - I'm hoping that's enough!)

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2016, 09:47:34 am »
Had problems with my Luxos on the Mere 200 , basically it constantly turned on no matter how many times I turned it off , indicated I had spare charge available then decided it didn't when I hooked up the Garmin resulting in external power lost pop up every 10 seconds then whilst passing Redmere in the dark hit the button for boost and the lights went out and refused to come back on  resulting in a very slow dark climb up to the next control  until it suddenly burst back into life  :-\ Think I may just go back to the Cyo and the usb-werks .

Paul

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2016, 04:40:21 pm »
well that's bu*gered that idea up
just had e mail that a new B+M Luxos IQ2 is merrily winging its way to me from Bocholt
Must cost them a fortune in replacements or do b+m just foot the bill and send them out after a refurbish ?
So NEXT time, does a one legged duck swim in circles? , I will ask for an Edelux 2 first
Cant fault the suppliers customer service though
wonder if they wear ROSE tinted glasses  ;D

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2016, 07:43:55 pm »
replacement arrived today
fitted on bike, now festooned with cables

B+M have done a few mods
Permanently wired now between light and h/bar switch
No usb on the switch
switch now has a main cable and 1 short cable with socket and cover
separate usb plug on another short cable to plug in at 1 if you want to use usb charge function
will give it a go, without usb, sometime in the coming months
If it gives bother then its going in the bits box and an edelux2 will get its chance
I see that there is yet another B+M light (100lux ot there abouts) doing the rounds
No thanks, I am not doing the development for them again, thrice bitten thrice shy

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2016, 09:03:40 pm »
Had problems with my Luxos on the Mere 200 , basically it constantly turned on no matter how many times I turned it off , indicated I had spare charge available then decided it didn't when I hooked up the Garmin resulting in external power lost pop up every 10 seconds then whilst passing Redmere in the dark hit the button for boost and the lights went out and refused to come back on  resulting in a very slow dark climb up to the next control  until it suddenly burst back into life  :-\ Think I may just go back to the Cyo and the usb-werks .

Paul

Hi Paul, My previous Luxos had a similar problem - wouldn't turn off, even when I removed the lamp from the bike & left it overnight it was still "flashing" the following morning ! - I returned it under warranty & it was replaced with a new one which has been working fine since. ( I heard B&M have been making tweaks to the Luxos headlamps since the launch to rectify faults that have occured with the early production runs.)