Author Topic: Chili Plants  (Read 2720 times)

Chili Plants
« on: 25 September, 2008, 10:19:28 pm »
We have a chili plant in a small pot outside our back door. There are about twenty chilis on it. Today I pulled a couple off (well, maybe it was five  :D ) and put them in the bean-and-peanut stew. Yummy  - fresh, fragrant and fiery in equal measure!

Questions:
i) How long have we got before the chilis start to shrivel on the plant? All but one are red. Is it better to pluck them off now?
ii) Are chili plants perennial? If so, how do we best care for the plant during the winter months?

Si

Re: Chili Plants
« Reply #1 on: 26 September, 2008, 12:11:49 pm »
Can't answer as something ate all mine.  You'd think that if there was one thing that didn't need protecting from the wildlife it'd be Guatemalan Psycho-Death Chilis  ::-)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 26 September, 2008, 12:21:53 pm »
My internet research said to pick when they were red and firm & glossy. Anything I didn't use I just popped in the freezer. My poor plant is now in the bin through a combination of me being on holiday and it getting sucked dry by pesky whitefly. :(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 02 October, 2008, 10:22:17 am »
I used to have a windowsill chili plant.  I think we only ever ate one or two of the lovely little fruits, but they were luvli.
Getting there...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4 on: 02 October, 2008, 04:30:05 pm »
If you bring them in about now and put them on a sunny windowsill you should be able to keep them going, and fruiting until next year.

However past Xmas you are best nipping any flowers off and allowing the plant to rest, feeding and watering until the risk of frost has passed them put it back out side.

Don't feed them whilst they are fruiting as the chilis will be weak and flavourless.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State