Author Topic: Compact digital recommendations  (Read 16302 times)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Compact digital recommendations
« Reply #50 on: 29 September, 2008, 11:29:44 pm »
I've been reading the reviews for that kind of "in-between" product too. It seems, in general, that the G9 is the pick of the bunch.

I've got a 'poor mans G9' - the A650, same sensor, lens and processor, and plus a twist'n'flip LCD screen.  I must say the image quality seems very good indeed from both lens and sensor, I like it enough that I'll probably be selling my DSLR kit.
If you like the idea of the G9 I wouldn't hesitate (or look at the new G10 if you prefer a wider lens).
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #51 on: 30 September, 2008, 02:56:29 am »
Now here is an odd thing. The top of the range, recently produced multi megapixel Panasonic Lumix FX500 vs the camera I have at the moment, the Fuji F30 from a few years ago.

To me the F30 has clearly produced the better shots - take a look at the "outdoor" and "real life noise" comparisons:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_FX500_FX520/outdoor_results.shtml

It's not clear to me because the different number of megapixels on the cameras confuses the issue when comparing 100% crops.  A 100% view reveals how much detail can be captured, but for a real-world comparison of sharpness and noise, the images should be cropped differently to equalise the size of the subjects.  The way CameraLabs have done it is not "real world", IMO.   A reduction in size effectively sharpens an image.  You won't generally blow up your pictures larger just because you have a higher-resolution camera.  You might do sometimes, but not normally, I suggest.

However, the higher-resolution camera may be worse in terms of noise, after all, because more pixels are being crammed onto the same (or similarly) sized sensor.  Technology improves, but not necessarily by enough to make up for the such smaller size of each pixel.

It's mad to have more than about 5 million pixels on such a tiny sensor, but manufacturers have to do it because "megapixels" sell.  The result is more noise, or less sharpness or detail if the camera is applying lots of noise reduction to disguise the noise.  Having a RAW option helps because you can bypass much of this.  Good shake reduction will help as well as it will mean you can use low ISO settings more often.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Rob S

« Reply #52 on: 30 September, 2008, 09:17:20 pm »
I'd love the manufacturers to start addressing soft corners and chromatic aberations rather than constantly pack yet another million pixels in the ccd. I look at the pics from my rides and I don't think I have ever thought 'I wish that was a 10MP picture instead of only 4MP'.

« Reply #53 on: 01 October, 2008, 02:15:23 pm »
I've got a 'poor mans G9' - the A650

Looks like a good camera. Sometimes I wish I'd hung on to my Canon G5 from 3 or 4 years ago. However, it was a fairly hefty lump and so was left at home a lot. I think the same might apply to the A650; the 4AA power source indicates it might stretch my jersey back pocket a bit...

« Reply #54 on: 01 October, 2008, 02:21:57 pm »

Rob S

« Reply #55 on: 02 October, 2008, 10:47:57 pm »
Quite interested in the Panasonic LX3

Interesting review of the LX3 here:

http://www.lawrenceripsher.com/blog/2008/08/panasonic-lx3-review---conclusion-part-4.html

Having read various reviews, including the one above, plus the one in Amateur Photographer and viewed loads of unprocessed sample pics.....I've just ordered one from UK Digital Cameras....for £299.99 :thumbsup: ....it's £399 at Jessops!! :o 

« Reply #56 on: 02 October, 2008, 10:52:01 pm »
You'll find it a thing of loveliness to hold in the hand  :)

I'm leaning towards it too

One think that is interesting to do is to search on Flickr by "camera type". It soon makes you realise that almost any camera is capable of a good shot in the right hands. But check out the LX3 ones.

« Reply #57 on: 03 October, 2008, 06:59:51 pm »
I look forward to hearing about whatever you get anyway

After taking everything into account including its limitations, I went for the LX3.

Although to begin with I had been thinking of something smaller (although the LX3 is itself very neat) I found that when I handled these cameras they were simply too small for my hands especially for quick-ish one handed shots. I prefer a little more weight and a better grip. That effectively ruled out the fx35 and fx37 on those grounds alone.

I found the TZ5 and the FX500 better to handle (especially the TZ of course) but after reading the reviews and comments available, and considering the sort of photos I like to take - street scenes, landscapes, buildings, objects rather than portraiture or social snaps (sociopath, moi?) - I decided that the LX3 might work to my advantage.

We shall see...

Rob S

« Reply #58 on: 03 October, 2008, 08:43:46 pm »
I look forward to hearing about whatever you get anyway

After taking everything into account including its limitations, I went for the LX3.

Bloody copycats!!! ;D

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #59 on: 03 October, 2008, 08:54:51 pm »
Absolutely! :)   Sergent Pluck has done such an incredible amount of research that I'll just copy him :)  Seriously, I think I would enjoy an LX3, too.

The 60mm limit and the price would be the only major concerns for me at the moment.  It is nice to pick out quirky details in street scenes, etc.  Optical zooming is generally better than cropping, but maybe cropping would be good enough in a lot of cases with the LX3.

....Off to search for more junk in my house to sell to raise funds!  Or I might just settle on an LX2.

« Reply #60 on: 03 October, 2008, 09:04:57 pm »
I don't think I have done that much research. And it could be said that I have taken a gamble in not going for the established TZ5 with its broad range of ability. I'm hoping that going for a faster lens may pay off in the sort of lighting situations I often find myself. Another reason I went for the LX3 is that there is a degree of expansion available - decent flash, seriously wide angle lens, others. Plus I really like how it looks! Has yours arrived yet Rob S?

One thing my research did show me was that the technology is changing and improving fast - anything that you buy right now is sure to be outmoded in no time. It might be worth looking at the Micro 4/3 thing and what that might bring along soon.

As for me, I'm happy that I have made a good choice. I no longer care  ;D and I am bored shitless with the whole thing.

Onwards...

Rob S

« Reply #61 on: 03 October, 2008, 10:39:00 pm »
My order has been dispatched today and according to the guy that rang me up they upgraded the postage so it should arrive by 1pm tomorrow...but now I have told you this it will probably be late!!

This camera is for cycle ride use....I take pics of landscapes and old buildings in streets so a very wide angle lens will be a real bonus as my current Ixus is rather annoying at about 35mm at the widest setting. Looking at the EXIF data on the gallery pics here Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Review - PhotographyBLOG many pics have been taken at the 24mm setting and don't suffer from a load of barrelling distortion :thumbsup: or soft corners :thumbsup: :thumbsup: something that would no doubt be introduced if it was the usual 3-4x zoom you usually get on such compacts. And they appear to have addressed the noise and aggressive noise reduction of the LX2 and most of there other cameras...the slightly larger sensor used has the pixel density not seen seen since the 6MP days.

The one thing it lacks that I still miss from my Oly C40Z is an IR remote.

Rob S

« Reply #62 on: 04 October, 2008, 08:12:58 am »
IT'S HERE!!!!! :thumbsup:

« Reply #63 on: 04 October, 2008, 08:21:16 am »
 ;D

Well...?

Rob S

« Reply #64 on: 04 October, 2008, 09:21:42 am »
I'm charging the battery now and just about to browse the maual during breakfast.

Initial thoughts....what a large screen!!....the lens doubles the width of the camera but it still fits in the loose fitting neoprene pouch that I carried my Ixus in :thumbsup: It uses an even smaller version of the mini-USB socket What a large screen!! The lenscap has a little loop on the side to tether it to the camera so it won't get lost like the one on my old Oly 3030!

« Reply #65 on: 04 October, 2008, 09:29:24 am »
Yes, the main body of the camera is very slim and it is only the lens that takes up a bit of room. I liked the fact that it feels solid and well put together without being as heavy as, say, the canon G9 which is too heavy for bike jersey pocket duties.

Enjoy!  :)

Another thing: I've never really taken to the idea of in-camera "effects" but the LX3's "B&W" and the "1970's Polaroid" sort of muted effect seem to produce some good shots.  :)

Rob S

« Reply #66 on: 04 October, 2008, 10:32:55 am »

Another thing: I've never really taken to the idea of in-camera "effects" but the LX3's "B&W" and the "1970's Polaroid" sort of muted effect seem to produce some good shots.  :)

Yeah I've seen lots of users wax lyrical about this camera's Dynamic B&W but as far as I can tell it doesn't store an ordinary colour version of the pic alongside it so it seems a bad idea to restrict a pic to B&W when you have PC software to apply all manner of colour changing options and then cancel when you decide colour was better for that shot. Pleased to see you can take a pic at all three aspect ratios with one press of the shutter though :thumbsup:

Rob S

« Reply #67 on: 04 October, 2008, 11:27:41 am »
Ok...it CAN take up to 3 pics in different film modes (eg Dynamic B&W, Nostalgic, Standard etc) with one press of the shutter.

The battery is charged and I'm having a go at it now!! :thumbsup: It's great... my first camera with image stabilisation..., 1/3 of a sceond and it's pinsharp!!!! :thumbsup:   

« Reply #68 on: 04 October, 2008, 01:46:47 pm »
And presumably a RAW version?

Rob S

« Reply #69 on: 04 October, 2008, 01:56:25 pm »
You can take a RAW on it's own, or RAW with a Fine JPG, or a RAW with a Standard JPG.

« Reply #70 on: 04 October, 2008, 02:51:09 pm »
Not that I'm likely to be doing much with RAW anyway  :P

I fancy that the exposure bracketing etc lends itself well to a bit of HDR / tone mapping fiddlage.

Rob S

« Reply #71 on: 04 October, 2008, 03:01:47 pm »
One way of doing it....though if you use RAW you can tweak the exposure levels of that a couple of stops in either direction using the software and then you have several different exposed pics avaiable all at exactly the same viewpoint.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #72 on: 04 October, 2008, 03:20:10 pm »
You need to take more than one RAW shot if you want proper HDR or lots of scope for alternative "exposures".

RAW does have more dynamic range than JPEG, but it's still small compared to what you get with your eyes and brain.

If you get a good RAW converter like Silkypix and get to enjoy using it, and if your camera shoots RAW fast enough, you'll find yourself using RAW for everything anyway.

Rob S

« Reply #73 on: 05 October, 2008, 08:22:01 pm »
You need to take more than one RAW shot if you want proper HDR or lots of scope for alternative "exposures".

RAW does have more dynamic range than JPEG, but it's still small compared to what you get with your eyes and brain.

True, though compared to using the auto bracketing feature of a camera that will take 3 or 5 pics upto a stop or two in either direction I think using a RAW pic is for such things is quite good...so long as the pic you use doesn't have any blown highhlights. If the DR is too H the results look fake.

Sgt P...I used my LX3 for the first time proper today out on a ride and I'm already completely chuffed with the results....handholding 1/30 of a sec for a waterfall pic using OIS and it was pinsharp, the corners were sharp in normal pics...the movie quality was quite good but then it perhaps should be with a file size of about 60MB for a  20 second clip!!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #74 on: 06 October, 2008, 02:11:07 pm »
It's here  ;D  :thumbsup: