Author Topic: Novice running  (Read 10134 times)

Re: Novice running
« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2019, 04:55:54 pm »
I'm thinking of getting a Garmin Forerunner or similar.

Do any of these watches / activity trackers allow you to run the couch to 5k app? Do they have an OS as such?

I have a 735XT and I simply do a custom training session for C25K.  Having seen Greenbank's post I have downloaded the app and will play with it.

I had to stop running due to a failed experiment with Inov8 Parkclaws and have just restarted having had eight months recovery.  I'm running with a novice runner and no-so-novice guide so we're doing C25K together except that we are doing two sessions per week but doing four of each week, not three as per the schedule. 

Now, off to tinker with this app ...

Cudzoziemiec

• Dormant but requires tea
« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2019, 05:15:23 pm »
*In my head camels run inefficiently, limbs flailing - like Phoebe.
I was wondering why the daughter of Uranus and Gaea would run with flailing limbs. Then I googled "phoebe running" and discovered this refers to a character from Friends. So let's just pretend that Wowbagger's hijacked my account.  :D

But running is great fun. In a similar way to sprinting as hard as you can on a bike. Not that I can run for 5km, 500m would be my utmost limit.
At some point in the ride, you might find yourself in Osaka with Spanish speakers where you had expected Edinburgh talking Greek. This does not mean you are lost, or even off route.

« Reply #102 on: November 01, 2019, 03:59:58 pm »
Thanks all. Now to choose which Garmin to get. Some of them are much more expensive than I had realised - into Apple watch territory really.

Do the Garmin Forerunners have good vibrating alerts, for those who don't hear so well? 

« Reply #103 on: November 01, 2019, 04:22:58 pm »
IMO the c25k app is rubbish.  It works as a data field only on your device and is very inflexible.  I'll be sticking to creating and updating my own c25k workouts.

I also use a QuadLock case and armband so that I can carry my phone if I wish.  It has proven to be an excellent bit of kit.  They sell many other mounts for car, motorbike and bicycle use too as well as a tripod mount and a desk mount.  Pricey but well thought out.

Oscar's dad

• Cheers!
« Reply #104 on: November 01, 2019, 06:27:58 pm »
IMO the c25k app is rubbish.  It works as a data field only on your device and is very inflexible.  I'll be sticking to creating and updating my own c25k workouts.

I also use a QuadLock case and armband so that I can carry my phone if I wish.  It has proven to be an excellent bit of kit.  They sell many other mounts for car, motorbike and bicycle use too as well as a tripod mount and a desk mount.  Pricey but well thought out.

I use the BBC Get Inspired C25k app. All it does is get Sarah Millican to tell me when to walk and when to run and on that basis it’s excellent - I require nothing more.

I have much QuadLock stuff: arm band, car mount and bike mount plus poncho waterproof cover - all excellent. The phone case itself is brill and provide a good deal of protection.

« Reply #105 on: November 05, 2019, 08:08:04 am »
I've started jogging again (can't really call it running, I'm too slow).
The cardio fitness is there, from my kayaking, but my legs just don't have the toughness.
Jog to the nearest train station to get in to work - about 4.4km. Did that once last week. Jog to riverbank carrying kayak and back (post paddle) - 800m each way, twice this weekend. Well, saturday wasn't a jog, it was in a gale, I could hardly stay upright.

Ran in this morning, I'll have to run home tonight, so that will be nearly 9km in the day. I hope my legs forgive me.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #106 on: November 06, 2019, 07:40:34 am »

I use the BBC Get Inspired C25k app. All it does is get Sarah Millican to tell me when to walk and when to run and on that basis it’s excellent - I require nothing more.

I have much QuadLock stuff: arm band, car mount and bike mount plus poncho waterproof cover - all excellent. The phone case itself is brill and provide a good deal of protection.

I too have the C25K app on my phone and listen to Laura but it requires me to carry the phone.  Yes, the Quadlock adjustable armband is a superior beast but I'd like the app on my watch if at all possible.

I record my 'workouts' with the Garmin Forerunner 735XT watch so it would be convenient if nothing else to have the app on the watch.

Thanks all. Now to choose which Garmin to get. Some of them are much more expensive than I had realised - into Apple watch territory really.

Do the Garmin Forerunners have good vibrating alerts, for those who don't hear so well? 

Garmin Forerunners have a very good vibrating alert ime.  Almost too good.

« Reply #107 on: November 06, 2019, 09:41:10 am »
You crazy kids with your crazy gizmos.

I used a watch, and remembered when to start/stop.
L'enfer, c'est les autos.