Author Topic: You know you're middle aged when  (Read 84641 times)

Re: You know you're middle aged when
« Reply #500 on: January 24, 2018, 08:55:20 am »
apparently the number of phones handed into lost property eclipsed the number of umbrellas sometime in the 1990s
Sorting my life out, one shed at a time.

« Reply #501 on: February 08, 2018, 10:17:32 am »
All my computers have just reminded me that my little girl is 30 at the weekend and that I should buy her presents!

Middle aged? I feel positively old!
Sorting my life out, one shed at a time.

Cudzoziemiec

• Dormant but requires tea
« Reply #502 on: February 08, 2018, 11:15:59 am »
apparently the number of phones handed into lost property eclipsed the number of umbrellas sometime in the 1990s
I think this is a two-way thing. More phones to be lost, and fewer people carrying umbrellas, due to fashion or improvements in waterproof clothing or warmer workplaces or something.
The unwilling rider and the one who leaves each control in turn without reluctance, with no desire to come back, obviously cannot be making the same journey, even though their brevets are identical.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #503 on: February 08, 2018, 11:34:55 am »
All my computers have just reminded me that my little girl is 30 at the weekend and that I should buy her presents!

Middle aged? I feel positively old!

Yeah, having children over 30 definitely marks you as being officially "old", or at least, an early starter.

My eldest will not be 30 till December...

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #504 on: February 08, 2018, 01:38:44 pm »
Mine's pushing 45. :(
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

fuzzy (retd.) AAGE

• SWMBO's Toy Boy.
  • Apprentice Leathery Old Git
    • The Secret Cyclist blog
« Reply #505 on: February 08, 2018, 02:16:25 pm »
.... offspring get involved in the househunting game.

No.2 Son and his girlfriend have had an offer accepted on a flat.

Current occupants are now amending the conditions under which the offer was made and accepted ::-)
Quote from: tatanab
The mark of a true cyclist - prepared to try anything on offer

If it ain't bad for you it ain't worth doing

« Reply #506 on: February 27, 2018, 02:37:46 pm »
... your son asks when the film you're watching (Groundhog Day) was made, you start to respond "Nineteen..." and he interrupts "There was a nineteen?"
L'enfer, c'est les autos.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #507 on: February 28, 2018, 08:28:44 pm »
A colleague asked me what Spitting Image was  :'(
Tandem Stoker, CX bike abuser (slicks and tarmac) and owner of a sadly neglected MTB.

spesh

• It's starting to look a lot like Cthulhumas!
« Reply #508 on: February 28, 2018, 08:32:41 pm »
Did you stick a deck chair up his nose for that display of cultural ignorance? ;)
"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #509 on: February 28, 2018, 11:41:23 pm »
No. Bought a jumbo jet and then buried all his clothes, before having tea with a nice Sarth Effrikken . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #510 on: March 01, 2018, 07:03:51 am »
You know you are middle-aged when...

...you spend an hour listening to Mussorgsky in your kitchen with the Dyno-Rod man who has just jetblasted a behemoth down your drain

T42

• Tea tank
Re: You know you're decrepit when
« Reply #511 on: March 06, 2018, 11:21:36 am »
48 km at 23 kph leaves you knackered the next day.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #512 on: March 06, 2018, 12:10:47 pm »
Went around to a friend's place for dinner on Saturday.  I was at least 20 years older than the host and the other four people there.

OK, perhaps not specifically a 'middle aged' thing, but definitely made me feel old no longer young.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

• Cheers!
« Reply #513 on: March 06, 2018, 12:32:08 pm »
Went around to a friend's place for dinner on Saturday.  I was at least 20 years older than the host and the other four people there.

OK, perhaps not specifically a 'middle aged' thing, but definitely made me feel old no longer young.

Were the young people able to use their cutlery properly?

It seems a sign of my middle age is being judgemental of young people who clearly find this simple skill challenging  >:(

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #514 on: March 06, 2018, 12:41:15 pm »

It seems a sign of my middle age is being judgemental of young people who clearly find this simple skill challenging  >:(

Yes, they did.  There were even chopsticks in use!
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #515 on: March 06, 2018, 01:09:06 pm »
That's just showing off...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Oscar's dad

• Cheers!
« Reply #516 on: March 06, 2018, 03:03:00 pm »

Yes, they did.  There were even chopsticks in use!

Blimey, like Tors says, that's showing off.

I hope you've been in the UK long enough to shed any colonial cutlery habits you picked up from our American cousins  ;D :-*

« Reply #517 on: March 06, 2018, 03:15:33 pm »
And post-Brexit we can make the cutting of potatoes with a fork, as the Germans do, illegal. :demon:

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #518 on: March 06, 2018, 03:16:55 pm »

It's not a simple skill, that's why it's challenging.

Being judgemental about it is a traditional sign of middle age, thobut.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Oscar's dad

• Cheers!
« Reply #519 on: March 06, 2018, 03:48:36 pm »
^^^   ;D

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #520 on: March 06, 2018, 04:11:17 pm »
Maybe it's because that's how long it takes to mistake something that you've had decades of practice at for something that's easy (compare: writing, walking, playing a musical instrument, speaking, using chopsticks, welding, knitting, reading etc.), but I suspect it's more to do with middle-aged curmudgeonlyness.

I'm all for a bit of tongue-in-cheek ranting about how Young People's trousers are all wrong, that USAnians don't know how to grammar, or that the internet is full of illiterate n00bs who wouldn't know RFC1855 if an avian carrier dropped it on their heads.  But there's a fine line between satirising generational culture shifts and classism or disablism, and complaints about other people's cutlery use are too often on the wrong side of that.

</humourless_feminist>

Oscar's dad

• Cheers!
« Reply #521 on: March 06, 2018, 04:28:38 pm »
Wow!

Is another sign of middle age being able to cause offence (I think) without intending to?  If so I offer the humblest of apologies!

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #522 on: March 06, 2018, 04:42:38 pm »
I'm not offended (though I accept I may be overly sensitive about it, as it's something people occasionally sneer at barakta for), just aware that most people who don't use cutlery in the 'proper' way are likely to be doing it because that's how they've been brought up, or because they lack the required dexterity.  Neither of which is their fault.

And because this sort of stuff *is* hard, and I try not to take it for granted.  Look at how long it's taken to make a bipedal robot that isn't embarrassingly shit, when most humans can walk across an uneven surface without really thinking about it.  I wrote that whole paragraph without looking at the keyboard.  Magic!

Oscar's dad

• Cheers!
« Reply #523 on: March 06, 2018, 05:03:14 pm »
OK, fair enough  ;D  Despite turning 54 last week I will try not to go completely Victor Meldrew just yet - but its going to be hard!

road-runner

• is in Slovakia.
« Reply #524 on: March 06, 2018, 05:40:37 pm »
... the internet is full of illiterate n00bs who wouldn't know RFC1855 if an avian carrier dropped it on their heads ...

I have long been very impressed at the breadth and depth of your knowledge on so many topics, Kim.

Having no idea (without searching) what a RFC1855 is (a capacitor, perhaps?) nor an avian carrier (a ship that carries aircraft or a means of passing on influenza?) I can now be identified as an illiterate n00b!