Author Topic: You know you're middle aged when  (Read 84478 times)

T42

• Tea tank
Re: You know you're middle aged when
« Reply #976 on: October 15, 2019, 12:25:01 pm »
Ctrl-Alt-Del is thataway==============> (region of your numeric keypad). This topic is about decrepitude.  Oh, wait... OK, go on talking about Windows 10.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

The Movers

• We just work here
« Reply #977 on: October 15, 2019, 02:33:27 pm »
Win 10 matters have been split off and moved to Ctrl-Alt-Del.

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #978 on: October 15, 2019, 02:47:06 pm »
 :thumbsup:

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #979 on: October 15, 2019, 02:49:31 pm »
Surely you're middle-aged if you remember Windows 3.1.
!nataS pihsroW

« Reply #980 on: October 15, 2019, 02:55:14 pm »
I remember when people got excited about Windows 3.0
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
« Reply #981 on: October 15, 2019, 03:05:33 pm »
I wrote my PhD thesis on a Windows 3.1 machine (I think, whatever Windows for Workgroups was). I found an entire IBM PS 3/2 in a skip and set it up in the basement of our building, making myself a nice space to play solitaire contemplate molecules.

Everyone was really impressed that I had my own computer and an office space that didn't smell like radioactivity. I never did tell anyone that I put the computer in the skip in the first place so I could 'find' it, and I never actually asked about the basement space, I just annexed it. Anything done with enough confidence is indistinguishable from being officially authorized.
!nataS pihsroW

Guy

• You can trust me - I work for the government
« Reply #982 on: October 15, 2019, 03:53:18 pm »
I don't know what the OS was, but when I started using computers at work I was writing documents in WordPerfect 3.1.
What duck?

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #983 on: October 15, 2019, 04:04:29 pm »

I remember being underwhelmed by Windows 2.0, having had previous experience of Amiga Workbench and GEM.  That machine had the first colour inkjet printer I ever saw attached to it, which was somewhat more impressive.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Tim Hall

• I want to eat the fleeting shade of your lashes
« Reply #984 on: October 15, 2019, 04:20:11 pm »
I don't know what the OS was, but when I started using computers at work I was writing documents in WordPerfect 3.1.
I'll see your WordPerfect 3.1 and raise you WordStar on a CP/M terminal connected to the Magic Box using RS232 electric string.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #985 on: October 15, 2019, 04:22:21 pm »
Pah!  Amateurs...  @Wowbagger wrote his dissertation in cuneiform on a clay tablet.    ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • . . cyclist, Cytech accredited
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #986 on: October 15, 2019, 04:26:06 pm »
Does Wordwise on BBC micro score any points?? - that's where I started writing stuff.    IIRC the prog was on a plug-in chip.

Rob

road-runner

• is in Slovakia.
« Reply #987 on: October 15, 2019, 04:41:19 pm »
You know you're middle aged when you reminisce about old computer programs you used to use.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #988 on: October 15, 2019, 04:42:12 pm »
You know you're middle aged when you reminisce about old computer programs you used to use.

Nahh, I've been doing that since I was about 17.

Cudzoziemiec

• Dormant but requires tea
« Reply #989 on: October 15, 2019, 09:07:53 pm »

Nahh, I've been doing that since I was about 17.
I think you've just proved roadrunner's point.  :D
The unwilling rider and the one who leaves each control in turn without reluctance, with no desire to come back, obviously cannot be making the same journey, even though their brevets are identical.

« Reply #990 on: October 15, 2019, 10:17:04 pm »
I remember agonising with my wife whether we bought a spectrum or BBC Micro. We bought the BBC and colleagues gave me blown EPROMs of view as the worprocessor and a couple of games.

We made 35mm slides for lectures on the computer and photographed the screen before we bought for the department  a special projector thing to which we attached a camera. Then the film was sent for processing score we got it back and mounted the slides. Fastest we could do a lecture in was 48 hours with overnight delivery.

Now I write the lecture whilst the previous speaker is talking.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #991 on: October 15, 2019, 10:29:55 pm »
We made 35mm slides for lectures on the computer and photographed the screen before we bought for the department  a special projector thing to which we attached a camera. Then the film was sent for processing score we got it back and mounted the slides. Fastest we could do a lecture in was 48 hours with overnight delivery.

In the early 90s, I used to make 35mm lecture slides for my father using a variation on this process[1], on account of my naturally superior Young Person computer skills[2].  One of the computer programs I would have been reminiscing about when I was 17 was Harvard Graphics 3.0 for DOS.  A package which - although limited in countless respects - Microsoft Office has yet to beat in terms of actual graph-drawing ability.  Imagine a user-friendly version of gnuplot, with rudimentary PowerPoint-style presentation features.

I still get nostalgic for the colours that worked well on 35mm slides.  Medium yellow text on dark blue backgrounds was much easier on the eye than the harsh contrast that you need on the underpowered video projectors of the early 2000s (and today's low-end projectors of equivalent spec).

[1] I *think* the hospital or the MRC or someone had a machine that would expose film directly with EPS-style vector graphics, possibly using lasers or an oscilloscope-style vector CRT or something.  The image quality (in the early days of XGA displays) was phenomenal.
[2] Gen-Z-ers: Ask your parents.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #992 on: October 15, 2019, 10:36:03 pm »
OMG. I thought I was odd creating graphs and stuff on a QL, then photographing the screen for use in a presentation.
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
« Reply #993 on: October 15, 2019, 10:51:20 pm »
Blimey Harvard Graphics, that’s a blast from the past. I recall Word 2 on the diddy Mac being awesomely WYSIWYG after years of colour-coded, function key-hammering WordPerfect.

Cantankerous lab equipment (hplc, capillary electrophoresis, and the giant first generation DNA sequencers that graced the age) always seemed to run on OS/2 Warp.
!nataS pihsroW

fuzzy (retd.) AAGE

• SWMBO's Toy Boy.
  • Apprentice Leathery Old Git
    • The Secret Cyclist blog
« Reply #994 on: October 16, 2019, 01:36:57 am »
People you work with were born after you got your first mobile phone.
Quote from: tatanab
The mark of a true cyclist - prepared to try anything on offer

If it ain't bad for you it ain't worth doing

« Reply #995 on: October 16, 2019, 09:42:16 am »
Does reaching for the smallest adjustable spanner in your tool kit which you inherited from your father on his death who got it from his father count.

Even if it doesn't, it was a really strange feeling taking up a tool which is quite possibly 100years old.  Almost a Star Wars moment.  "I am a self taught tinkerer and mechanic like my father (and my grandfather)".

I have two sons, one of whom is also a tinkerer/mechanic and all being well he will inherit the spanner as well  which will make the tool an heirloom through 4 generations.  I just have to make sure one of my granddaughters has a STEM interest :D

My other son will inherit the walking stick made from the propeller of the Sopwith my grandfather flew in WW1.

Cudzoziemiec

• Dormant but requires tea
« Reply #996 on: October 16, 2019, 10:01:39 am »
My other son will inherit the walking stick made from the propeller of the Sopwith my grandfather flew in WW1.
Wow. Quite an heirloom.  :thumbsup:

Only two objects survive from my grandfather's WWI experiences: a photo of him, looking ridiculously young and impish, in his brand new 1915 uniform (complete with SWORD) and his partially forged Red Cross release papers six years later. I expect he'd be prouder of the latter.
The unwilling rider and the one who leaves each control in turn without reluctance, with no desire to come back, obviously cannot be making the same journey, even though their brevets are identical.

« Reply #997 on: October 16, 2019, 10:47:09 am »
One heck of an heirloom.

I have a sweater I treasure. It is a hairy brown thing.

My mother knitted it for my father when he was about the age my son is now.

I think that definitely qualifies me as middle aged.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #998 on: October 16, 2019, 12:57:39 pm »
Does reaching for the smallest adjustable spanner in your tool kit which you inherited from your father on his death who got it from his father count.

Even if it doesn't, it was a really strange feeling taking up a tool which is quite possibly 100years old.  Almost a Star Wars moment.  "I am a self taught tinkerer and mechanic like my father (and my grandfather)".

I have tools that go back that far, a mix from both sides of the family.  I don't know where they'll go after me, though, since neither of my kids are makers: one's a musician, the other's a consumer.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #999 on: October 16, 2019, 09:20:37 pm »
I have a bunch of woodworking tools that came from my father through my granddad. Sadly I'm not much of a woodworker myself, more mechanically biased.  On that front I have a beautiful micrometer in it's original case, probabaly 50's/60's when my dad was starting out as an engineering apprentice.  I did have a lovely steel rule that had metric and imperial, including down to 1/16th inch, though how you could use it accurately I don't know.

“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens