Author Topic: Another go .. TG??  (Read 102821 times)

LMT

Re: Another go .. TG??
« Reply #1025 on: April 15, 2018, 11:23:47 am »
Back to AC... I don't think she did it because she wanted to loop a circuit for 12+ hours a day for 365 consecutive days... clearly she did it because she wanted that record. Why people want records? You can find a million reasons, but ultimately they all boil down to fame and notoriety, which on occasions can be turned into cash, on others less so.
What I said earlier is that the return on investment for that particular effort is pretty poor. A greater level of notoriety (and more money?) can be achieved without the need to invest so much time. This is a fact, I don't think you can realistically argue with that.

What utter bollox - seriously. Why the hell does there need to be something tangible in terms of a ROI.

Think Mastercard advert from back in the day...

« Reply #1026 on: April 16, 2018, 10:46:30 am »
Why people want records? You can find a million reasons, but ultimately they all boil down to fame and notoriety, which on occasions can be turned into cash, on others less so.

Nope.

Polar Bear

• aka Michael
« Reply #1027 on: April 16, 2018, 11:07:06 am »
"Why do you want to climb Mount Everest?"

"Because it is there."

« Reply #1028 on: April 16, 2018, 11:11:10 am »
"Why do you want to climb Mount Everest?"

"Because it is there."

Sure,
Why do you want your climb to be officially recognised, so that everybody is aware? If there was no official or indeed unofficial record of who has climbed which mountain and by which route, how many would climb mountains?

I take for granted that the challenge is a very personal thing, but ultimately the desire to make the challenge "official" is down to the desire to see it recognised by others... public, peers... others

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that

Polar Bear

• aka Michael
« Reply #1029 on: April 16, 2018, 11:12:57 am »
You really don't understand.  The overwhelming majority of those who 'climb mountains' literally do it for the personal challenge and not for fame, glory nor wealth.

« Reply #1030 on: April 16, 2018, 11:16:05 am »
You really don't understand.  The overwhelming majority of those who 'climb mountains' literally do it for the personal challenge and not for fame, glory nor wealth.
I do understand that people do things for passion.
With that in mind, when someone attempts to climb the Eiger in under 2 hours, he does so to set a new record and all of the above applies

« Reply #1031 on: April 16, 2018, 12:15:28 pm »
Going for a record and having it recognised is as much about maintaining a record as it is about breaking it. Records are just that, recordings of events. If Kurt and Amanda kept their efforts quiet, everyone would think that I rode the 2nd greatest distance in a year. I'd rather be a more honest 4th than a dishonorable 2nd. I went for the record because I wanted to be the person who had cycled the most miles in a year. Any other gains are a bonus and I will capitalise and benefit from them as much as I can and that extends beyond financial gain. I think I'd be a fool not to.
Publicity isn't just for record attempts. Sports Relief is a good example.