Author Topic: Bob Jackson End to End Frame  (Read 11708 times)

Otto

• Biking Bad
Bob Jackson End to End Frame
« on: February 17, 2015, 09:35:02 pm »
Well It finally arrived actually it took a week less than I expected.
Bob Jackson Addax End to End, 24'' French Biege and ivory Enamel....
I must say it looks good enough to eat. The buying process was easy and fairly painless, emails from Donald as has ben said elsewhere are short factual and to the point, don't expect matey chit chat. I'll and some more pics and impressions when I've built it up over the next couple of weeks. Here's a kit list... just waiting for the wheels to arrive.

Front and rear mech Sunxcd
Chainset campag Centaur NOS
Wheels H Son Plus TB14 on novice hubs (polished)
Bars Velo Orange Rando
Stem Nitto Dynamic 2
Shifters Dura Ace Bar ends
Bottom Bracket Tiffosi carbon ISO taper
Headset Stronglight A9
Cables Velo Orange Stainless braided
Brakes Tektro 737
Levers Tektro 340 (brown hoods)
Casette Shimano 11-34
Chain Ultegra
Tyres Durano's 25mm
Saddle either B17 or Spoon
Mudguards Kinoko cycles hammered alloy

Re: Bob Jackson End to End Frame
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 09:43:13 pm »
Very nice, and should look good with that parts list too. Did you consider 28mm tyres? I thought the end to end had clearance for those with guards.

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 09:45:10 pm »
Yes I did and probably will but I had an unused set of 25s, and I'm Mean northern git ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 12:16:52 am »
Beautiful.
Getting there...

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 08:12:37 am »
Lovely frame, looking forward to more pics of finished bike and a ride report?

I'm now green with envy, enjoy.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 08:19:58 am »
As Guy Martin would say...." That's  spot on ,is that"

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 09:45:04 am »
As Guy Martin would say...." That's  spot on ,is that"

Créme Brülée

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 09:52:01 am »
… more like: "thasspotonizthart!" says an over excited Guy.

Lovely frame and colour way. Put it on the wall instead!!!!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 10:55:44 am »
Nice frame.

I thought it was only me that Donald short with.  ;)
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 12:53:20 pm »
Bob Jackson Addax End to End, 24'' French Beige and ivory Enamel....

FTFY

Very nice frame, Otto, and I'm glad to see that you choose the cheaper option, with a decal on the head tube, instead of their big metal badge.  IMHO, the metal badge is way too bulky!

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 01:00:06 pm »
Bob Jackson Addax End to End, 24'' French Beige and ivory Enamel....

FTFY

Very nice frame, Otto, and I'm glad to see that you choose the cheaper option, with a decal on the head tube, instead of their big metal badge.  IMHO, the metal badge is way too bulky!

I did fancy the badge to be honest but then I saw one and it did indeed looka bit big.. plus expensive

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 02:11:01 pm »
Really nice looking frame - good colour choice! Many happy miles on it.

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 04:44:21 pm »
That really is very very pretty indeed.

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 08:55:03 pm »
Nice frame.

I thought it was only me that Donald short with.  ;)

I had the fortune to be visiting to discuss a new frame for Mrs S when a chap came in with an inexpensive alloy frame enquiring after the cost of a respray. Donald had quickly sussed out that there wasn't going to be a transaction and didn't have much to say to the poor fellow. He was brilliant with me though.

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 05:41:35 pm »
Very elegant.
Oh, Bach without any doubt. Bach every time for me.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2015, 10:57:45 am »
Gorgeous.  One day I may borrow that colour scheme.

I'm thinking Honey colour Brooks and matching leather bar tape, green Barley saddlebag.

The best BJ you'll get all week.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2015, 08:14:51 pm »
Received wisdom, and a bit of personal experience, about BJ is that the finish is great but the framebuilding is a bit hit or miss.  I had a set of forks from them where the dropout separation was about 85mm  :o * and some people have had custom frames where the geometry was only suitable for another member of the ape family, not humans.  Do check it all carefully before building it up - if it's good, fine, but it will save a bit of work if it has to go back.

*fixing this required another set of blades brazing in' they forgot the 531 transfer the second time and I never really trusted the forks after the crown had felt the brazing torch three times (once at Thorn when originally built, once to replace the steerer at BJ and a third time to fix the last attempt).
Never tell me the odds.

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2015, 08:43:39 pm »
Received wisdom, and a bit of personal experience, about BJ is that the finish is great but the framebuilding is a bit hit or miss.  I had a set of forks from them where the dropout separation was about 85mm  :o * and some people have had custom frames where the geometry was only suitable for another member of the ape family, not humans.  Do check it all carefully before building it up - if it's good, fine, but it will save a bit of work if it has to go back.

*fixing this required another set of blades brazing in' they forgot the 531 transfer the second time and I never really trusted the forks after the crown had felt the brazing torch three times (once at Thorn when originally built, once to replace the steerer at BJ and a third time to fix the last attempt).

Lol don't freak me out I've just attacked my frame with the digital calipers. everything is spot on  :thumbsup:

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2015, 12:21:37 pm »
some people have had custom frames where the geometry was only suitable for another member of the ape family, not humans. 

Custom fit by BJ, or built to a customers instructions?

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2015, 03:32:51 pm »
Just being curious, why did you go for a threaded steerer  (1" I assume) rather than the more modern threadless?
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2015, 04:41:37 pm »
Just being curious, why did you go for a threaded steerer  (1" I assume) rather than the more modern threadless?

The old traditional threaded I am a fosil

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2015, 09:58:10 am »
Fair enough. I see on the BJ website that 1" threaded appears to be the default option for all but their most expensive OTP frames. Their "Vulcan" frame looks interesting. Inspired by (I won't say copied from) Hetchins, I presume.

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2015, 10:03:34 am »
Fair enough. I see on the BJ website that 1" threaded appears to be the default option for all but their most expensive OTP frames. Their "Vulcan" frame looks interesting. Inspired by (I won't say copied from) Hetchins, I presume.

For all intents the Vulcan is a Hetchins as BJ produced Hetchins in the past.... my budget couldn't quite stretch the Vulcan

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2015, 11:35:47 am »
I would also advocate checking out the dimensions of your previous frame (if applicable) against the new frame especially if it isn't a Bob Jackson.

I had naively taken off the seat post/saddle off the Mercian, sticking it on the BJ and thinking "that'll do" however I found out today that for the 25" BJ frame, whilst matching the seat tube measurement against my former steed (the Hummercian) was over 1 inch longer on the top tube. It might have been the shorter top tube was a 'feature' of the Mercian but either way, it was a lot different.

I think this explains a number of odd but persistent bio-mechanical pains picked up since riding the BJ (related to knees and hips) and hopefully why I have been running out of steam on lumpy rides. Well, that and being about a stone heavier than last year  ;D

In all seriousness, it is worth checking it out.

H

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2015, 02:04:13 pm »
Looking at the frames on the BJ website has re-kindled my appetite for steel frames though whether I can justify a 5th is another question. [nostalgia]When I first got into cycling 40 years ago, I asked the club coach which frame should I get and he said to get either a Bob Jackson or a Woodrup. Bear in mind, this was in London with plenty of good frame builders around at that time. In the end I bought a Woodrup which I cherished until it got stolen about 10 years later. [/nostalgia]. Maybe its time to acquaint myself with a Bob Jackson?