Author Topic: Bob Jackson End to End Frame  (Read 11709 times)

Re: Bob Jackson End to End Frame
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2015, 04:11:20 pm »
Check that your seatpost fits.  Mine didn't and the frame had to go back for another reaming.

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2015, 04:26:15 pm »
Check that your seatpost fits.  Mine didn't and the frame had to go back for another reaming.

Yup mine is quite tight but it is correct (27.2) I've had the digi calipers on it .. I'm going to attack the inside with some abrasive paper

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2015, 07:53:07 pm »
Generally I think Bob Jackson, for their off-the-shelf frames, tend to have be a little long in the top tube. I certainly think it is the case for the Vigorelli. Not much, but enough to make a significant difference if you are position-critical.

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2015, 09:52:07 pm »
Looking at the frames on the BJ website has re-kindled my appetite for steel frames though whether I can justify a 5th is another question. [nostalgia]When I first got into cycling 40 years ago, I asked the club coach which frame should I get and he said to get either a Bob Jackson or a Woodrup. Bear in mind, this was in London with plenty of good frame builders around at that time. In the end I bought a Woodrup which I cherished until it got stolen about 10 years later. [/nostalgia]. Maybe its time to acquaint myself with a Bob Jackson?

This thread has a high risk of increasing your N+1 rate.
I certainly am tempted to order another BJ frame. But I still have a Woodrup frame to finish, bought it some 5 years ago and it's still sitting around while I collect the parts.

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2015, 11:09:52 pm »
I think Bob Jackson make some lovely factory frames. I woul very hapily build an Olympus Road and a Vigorelli. The Vulcan is a Hetchins, which they were the builder for back in the day. They're all also good value for a UK handbuilt frame.

For custom in Leeds, Kevin Sayle at Woodrup is turning out some lovely work. There are other builders around the UK of course...

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2015, 06:09:12 pm »
Generally I think Bob Jackson, for their off-the-shelf frames, tend to have be a little long in the top tube. I certainly think it is the case for the Vigorelli. Not much, but enough to make a significant difference if you are position-critical.

interesting, as Blodwyn's top tube, (thats Blodwyn, the world tour, and I believe that the WT and E2E use the same frame) was about 1/2" shorter than the Pearson it replaced, but ironically I was never comfy on the Pearson as it was set up, but Blodwyn is supreemly comfy, and now the resurected Pearson is set up the  same ; that too is comfy.
With reguards to the 1" quill stem, now having both bikes set up the same, the BJ is A LOT more comfy with its slightly flex quill stem, than the pearson with its ahead stem.
Are we going to be blessed with photos of the HUMJACKSON.

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2015, 07:39:13 pm »
Well first ride out yesterday and it rides just as well as expected really smooth, may need a shorter stem but we shall see. I went to Evans Head office to buy a new pump and while it was in the shop someone tried to buy it! Must say the wheels a lovely hand built from The Cycle Clinic

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2015, 10:51:50 pm »
Very  beautiful. Love the Cebtaur chainset and overall look. VO Randonneur bars are nice too - I liked the set I had.

I would be inclined to go for a shorter and more level stem, although that might spoil your set up and lower the bars too much.

Are the rims TB14?

Cheers

Mike

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2015, 10:08:35 am »
Very  beautiful. Love the Cebtaur chainset and overall look. VO Randonneur bars are nice too - I liked the set I had.

I would be inclined to go for a shorter and more level stem, although that might spoil your set up and lower the bars too much.

Are the rims TB14?

Cheers

Mike

Here you go mike is that better  ;)

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2015, 10:22:34 am »
Move the tyres round about 100 so the valves line up with the tyre labels and it's about perfect.  :thumbsup:

Oh, and don't forget to clear that dog muck off your drive.  :demon:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2015, 10:29:49 am »
That look's much better now, and i see you've fettled the front mudguard too. Very nice indeed.

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2015, 10:31:14 am »
Move the tyres round about 100 so the valves line up with the tyre labels and it's about perfect.  :thumbsup:

Oh, and don't forget to clear that dog muck off your drive.  :demon:

LMAO

It's moss from the roof !!!... well at least it smells like moss... there are some very fragrant dogs around here

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2015, 11:15:52 pm »

Are the rims TB14?

Cheers

Mike

Here you go mike is that better  ;)

Perfect. Hope it rides.as well as it looks.

Mike

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2015, 07:17:41 pm »
The more i look at that frameset the more i think its exactly like my Raleigh 753.if it ride like my Raleigh it  sure a sweet ride.
great job on the build pure class enjoy.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2015, 11:26:49 am »
I love Bob Jacksons.  So pleased that I do now own one, thanks to John's Bikes. :)
Getting there...

arkle

• Mr Full Value...
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2015, 06:38:20 pm »
That's a very nice bicycle. I'm pleased to see that they are still going. When I was a kid in Yorkshire in the early 70's a BJ was the bike to have. Of course, I could never afford one then. Three or four years ago I managed to buy a decent second-hand one (the first owner had it custom-built for himself and owned it for 25 years). After a good fettling I still use it when the weather is kind and it is probably my favourite bike. 5-speed block and down-tube shifters make me think some modern bike technology has got a bit too complicated...

As has been said, they do look quite good value. I sometimes think of ordering another frame from them to build up but the home fleet is a bit over strength at present....