Author Topic: seal skin Belgium hat  (Read 956 times)

seal skin Belgium hat
« on: February 08, 2015, 12:12:00 pm »
Lost my Belgium hat out my back pocket . which i found 5 years a go in a puddle. Its a bit cold on my head  to go searching the lanes for a replacement. So i will have to do mail order . The L,B,S, gave me a strange look when i asked for one . Any one got one . Any other suggestions .
Volkswagen ~ Reliable German engineering  My arse !!!

windy

• Sitting on a bog in the North Atlantic
    • My Instagram
Re: seal skin Belgium hat
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 01:14:26 pm »
Google shows a few sellers. I still have my old 'Miko' belgian hat from the 70s. Is the sealskinz one thin enought to go under a helmet?

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 01:45:04 pm »
My lost one was campag traditional wool one  / saggy when wet . seal skin looks to be improved i.e water proof /breathable. I don't wear a plastic hat.
Volkswagen ~ Reliable German engineering  My arse !!!

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 01:51:32 pm »
I just bought one from Wiggle ... and sent it back as too tight ... and quite bulky. 
Will get a Prendas black one if they ever come back in stock (supposedly next week).

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 03:41:15 pm »
Just bought one from Evans £19.59 plus postage if that's any help.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 11:59:32 pm »
Sealskinz one is VERY bulky and warm, for worst conditions only.

It fits under my helmet on its loosest setting...just.
When it's freezing cold AND raining then nothing comes close otherwise it's a bit extreme.

My Rapha equivalent is more flexible.  It's thinner and suits a wider range of temperatures (but isn't 100% waterproof).  Having said that, it was 6degC today so I didn't wear the Rapha, below that fine, above that too warm and I'll wear my BUFF over my head.

The Rapha is a superb bit of kit to have in your back pocket in February for when the sun sets and the temp plummets to near zero or worse. Since I almost always wear a Buff anyway I can put on the Rapha and pull up the Buff over my chin...toasty.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 01:49:44 pm »
I got one because of my big head, "one size fits all" hats/caps rarely fit me. It's not quite an ideal fit, the tips of my ear lobes get a vague breeze, but I suspect that's because my glasses' arms disrupt the ear flaps. I can't attest to how well it fits under a helmet as I don't wear one. It's warm, fine for down to 0C or thereabouts for my heavily receded hairline, and the ability to lift the ear/neck flap up gives it a bit more versatility. I haven't had much of an opportunity to test its waterproofness although it's been fine in the rain and snow it *has* been in. One downside is that when washed it takes so long to dry that it gets a hint of that "wet clothes" smell. Finally, the peak is a good shape and size, IMO, big enough to block out the sun/rain/headlights but not too big to dominate your vision.