Author Topic: Sidi Dominator shoes  (Read 1174 times)

Sidi Dominator shoes
« on: February 26, 2015, 09:29:53 pm »
Long term review.  Very long term review indeed.  I bought a pair of original Dominators in 1999, along with a Thorn Nomad.  They have been my most-used shoe ever since, mainly for commuting.  Nothing ever broke, including the click-lock buckles.  They are vaguely waterproof although your feet will still get squelchy in a downpour.  After 15 years the velcro has finally given up so I had to buy some new ones - now Dominator 5, which shows you how old the originals were.  The new ones look almost identical, except they're still black and not a weathered sort of grey!

Pros: look good, very tough, worked out at about £7 a year although they weren't all that cheap when new (about £90; replacements were £125 after shopping around, RRP is over £200)

Cons: the little pin axle for the buckle wriggles out of its holes after a few months and needs pushing back with something hard, the SPD cleat tends to contact the floor at the front slightly (even the new shoes are like this - it's not really a sole wear problem).

Not a great touring shoe. as they are stiff as anything and hopeless for walking on hard surfaces except in a pinch, but great for riding.
Never tell me the odds.

Re: Sidi Dominator shoes
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 09:02:38 am »
I had some Dominators and liked them for Audax, but eventually both shoes had the upper part company with the sole at the toe area. I saw no benefit to having the ratchet thing. Velcro feels as good, is simpler and is smoother under an overshoe.

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 08:26:18 pm »
I have heard of such problems.  The ide of the ratchet, originally on their road shoes, is to retighten the shoe after a few miles because the heat from your foot can cause the Lorica material to stretch a little.
Never tell me the odds.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 12:22:05 am »
I have heard of such problems.  The ide of the ratchet, originally on their road shoes, is to retighten the shoe after a few miles because the heat from your foot can cause the Lorica material to stretch a little.

Since my Shimano shoes rub against my little toe (the stitching is in precisely the wrong place) I was looking at the Dominator because it seemed free of stitching in that area.

Stretch seems like a good thing.

Comments?
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 08:08:19 am »
I have worn my way through 3 pairs of Dominators since buying my first pair in something like 1995.  They probably were not totally worn out, just well past their best.  They were used daily, everything from commuting to time trials to touring.  I did not find them too stiff for short walks when desired (probably only a mile or so), and all of mine survived without the sole detaching.  Certainly mine had screws through from the inner at the heel and I think at the front too.  I can only remember my last pair which were retired last year.  I would certainly recommend Dominators especially for those who need the Mega wide fitting range.  One thing I've been told about recent Dominators models is that there are models for different markets - one with all Lorica uppers which are the only ones I've had, and a model with mesh areas.

Lorica stretching?  Many places on the internet will tell you that Lorica does not stretch like leather; so whereas leather will stretch/change shape to suit your foot over time Lorica will not do that so a shoe that pinches will always pinch.  Heat from your foot might cause a miniscule amount of expansion but I doubt it would be noticeable.

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 02:25:00 pm »
Every pair of cycling shoes I've ever had has felt looser once I've been riding for an hour or two, and benefited from being tightened up a little. I'd always put this down to the foot moving slightly, especially back into the heel, and maximising the slack, rather than expansion or stretch in the fabric of the shoe.

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 09:04:20 am »
Purely on the subject of ratchets for tightening shoes on the go, I have wondered in the past whether some people with knee problems have their shoes too tight, not allowing the extra bit of "float" that a slight amount of foot movement within the shoe allows. I make a point of not tightening my shoes too much.