Author Topic: Marmalade  (Read 30566 times)

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
Re: Marmalade
« Reply #175 on: January 26, 2019, 02:19:05 pm »
Sevilles have been in a week! I've just bought two dozen which should mean a triple batch of ~40lbs as long as I don't stuff it up.

Now, to find the correct blade for the magimix....it should be in the garage _somewhere_
Tandem Stoker, CX bike abuser (slicks and tarmac) and owner of a sadly neglected MTB.

« Reply #176 on: January 26, 2019, 02:47:26 pm »
The marmalade I make is the predecessor of the Keiller invention of the nineteenth century. He worked out you could make it thin enough to spread whereas before it was cooked for longer to make sweets you could pick up with your fingers and eat. We use this sweetmeat marmalade as part of our re-enacting display. So, seeing the Seville oranges are about, MrsC buys 2kg before we check on stocks. Last year's marmalade is pretty well untouched, so we don't need any more of that.
However, we also make 'suckets' (a generic seventeenth century term for sweetmeats) and one recipe is for a wet-sucket of orange pills (C16 spelling is wonderful). These are pieces of orange or lemon peel cooked in syrup, much like stem ginger. So I will be doing some of those later. At the moment I'm in the process of making some candied peel, also with the Sevilles. This is a first time, so I've no idea how it will turn out.
It's all oranges and sugar though.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #177 on: January 27, 2019, 07:27:29 am »

Now, to find the correct blade for the magimix....it should be in the garage _somewhere_

There's a thing - people's options for cutting the peel. I'd not use the magimix myself as it would result in too thin, too much hacked to pieces peel. My preferred method is to do it one orange-worth at a time. I scrape out any of the skin, leaving pith as I like it bitter (and with the magimix juicer doing a better job reaming than by hand, that was much easier this year). I cut the halves into quarters and stack them up, four together.   I then use a kitchen knife to chop them, along the "rugby ball" shape starting at the pointy bit. Any alternatives?

Another small discovery was that Laphroaig Quarter Cask (which I picked up half price in Waitrose, along with a number of other slightly recherche malts like Talisker Storm, lord knows why but I wasn't complaining) is absolutely perfect for marmalade and will be reserved for it in future. I wasn't that impressed with it as a whisky, like Laphroaig only more so, but the combination is nigh on divine.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #178 on: February 02, 2019, 03:40:02 pm »
I applaud your attention to detail but I don't have a patience to cut it by hand. I did find the blade and it's a very wide spaced one because I also like chunky peel. You're right though, you do end up with quite a few small pieces in each jar as well as the segments but I can live with it.

I've got a new Jam thermometer. The rather funky Lakeland digital thermometer/spatula one took a trip through the dishwasher by mistake so it has been replaced by a bare bones Kilner branded analogue dial type thing. It doesn't seem to move very smoothly but it does the job. It seems to correlate pretty well with the results here:
https://www.kitchenhealssoul.com/making-marmalade-cooking-temperatures-the-jam-setting-point/

I went to 220F which turned out slightly lighter than last year's batch but nicely fruity.
Tandem Stoker, CX bike abuser (slicks and tarmac) and owner of a sadly neglected MTB.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #179 on: February 02, 2019, 05:10:07 pm »
Just made mine, think it might be overcooked :(

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #180 on: February 02, 2019, 05:47:08 pm »
Cut it into cubes...

« Reply #181 on: February 02, 2019, 07:56:16 pm »
Cut it into cubes...
See my post further up!

(But if it's overcooked, so burnt rather than just overset, I can't help, I'm afraid)
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
Marmalade
« Reply #182 on: February 03, 2019, 11:19:06 am »
Was in Morrisons the other day and they had Seville oranges so on an impulse I bought two kilos. Made a batch of marmalade yesterday. Didn’t have enough preserving sugar so made it up with muscovado. Added the juice of three lemons and decided I didn’t want to waste the skins so chopped them up and added them to the oranges.

Very happy with the results. The muscovado gives it a rich, dark colour and slightly treacly flavour, and the lemons add a nice tanginess.

Using the thermapen is a good way to avoid overcooking - off the heat at exactly 105°C, perfect set.

Filled 12 jars, which should keep me going for a while, though I’ve already made good inroads into the first jar this morning for testing purposes.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #183 on: February 03, 2019, 12:02:47 pm »
Just made mine, think it might be overcooked :(

Well it ended up OKish. Tastes fine, the peel perhaps a bit too chewy but quite thick to spread.

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #184 on: February 04, 2019, 10:55:02 am »
It is wet, cold and miserable today, so a good day for making marmalade. It's a shame that there's no rugby to watch.

I have discovered that we possess a plastic measuring jug with gradations on it which claim that a quart is 32 flozzes. This, of course, is bollocks, but it is exacerbated by the fact that 32 flozzes of water, when weighed, demonstrate that this jug isn't even fit to measure inferior US quarts.
Oh, Bach without any doubt. Bach every time for me.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #185 on: February 04, 2019, 12:18:44 pm »
The gradations on our Pyrex 'measuring' jug seem to be in different places on its opposite sides.

Matters little for custard and gravy mix but...

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #186 on: February 04, 2019, 12:40:55 pm »
One of the reasons I tend to use the scales for measuring liquids.* It may not be perfectly accurate but it's likely to be more accurate than the graded measuring jug.

*especially when the recipe calls for alcoholic liquids ;)

« Reply #187 on: February 04, 2019, 12:54:58 pm »
Meh, I can't think any recipe, especially for jams, is going to be that sensitive to small variations in quantities.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #188 on: February 04, 2019, 01:04:29 pm »
Pastry.

Oh, and I did discover why I've been having such problems setting in years gone by, by dint of pressing my digital thermometer into service. Both. Yes, both my jam making thermometers over read by about 3 degrees. When will I see jam again, ooo-ooo?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #189 on: February 04, 2019, 02:52:16 pm »
Meh, I can't think any recipe, especially for jams, is going to be that sensitive to small variations in quantities.

I think water content is fairly critical but I don't add any and just microwave till jammy...