Author Topic: Marmalade  (Read 36404 times)

fboab

• It's a fecking serious business, riding a bike
Re: Marmalade
« Reply #200 on: July 04, 2020, 12:07:39 pm »
Lemons the third fruit? My sister had grapefruit and lemon trees in her last Sydney house.
TSS is not Total Sex Score, Chris!

Tim Hall

• I want to eat the fleeting shade of your lashes
« Reply #201 on: July 04, 2020, 01:00:34 pm »
Yes. Jeanette Winterson Marmalade.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #202 on: July 04, 2020, 01:26:24 pm »
If Waitrose don't sell Kumquat Marmalade they're missing a big opportunity ;)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #203 on: July 08, 2020, 10:08:39 am »
I just searched the WR site for "kumquat" and it suggested a whole variety of things from quail's eggs to crumpets... but no kumquat marmalade.
Eating's a serious business. Don't bollocks around wagging your tail.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • . . cyclist, Cytech accredited
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #204 on: July 23, 2020, 07:59:08 am »
I wonder if the massed ranks of yacf marmalade makers may have any ideas ....

Mrs robgul made copious quantities back at the start of the year - using oranges from Waitrose, Aldi and Abel & Cole (veg box people) to a couple of different recipes.   All went to plan, it set, loaded ito normal sized jars etc. - made enough to, usually, last the year of toast and marmalade (one slice) for breakfast every day.

BUT when we come to use it the set has gone - it's still perfectly edible but is quite watery/syrupy.  Storage is in a cool pantry.

Any thoughts on the reason?

Thanks

Rob

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
« Reply #205 on: July 23, 2020, 09:11:54 am »
Have you managed to seal the jars?

I use "Bonne Maman" style jars as I find them the easiest to fill as their tops are wide. When the marmalade is hot, I make a point of tightening the lids as much as possible. You will need to wear rubber gloves as the jars are too hot to handle. Then the marmalade will vacuum-seal itself as it cools and moisture can't get in. As the jars are cooling you hear a series of satisfying "dink" noises as the vacuum button gets pushed down by air pressure. I reckon to get something like 80% success in the jars sealing themselves in this way.

robgul

« Reply #206 on: July 23, 2020, 09:30:03 am »
Have you managed to seal the jars?

I use "Bonne Maman" style jars as I find them the easiest to fill as their tops are wide. When the marmalade is hot, I make a point of tightening the lids as much as possible. You will need to wear rubber gloves as the jars are too hot to handle. Then the marmalade will vacuum-seal itself as it cools and moisture can't get in. As the jars are cooling you hear a series of satisfying "dink" noises as the vacuum button gets pushed down by air pressure. I reckon to get something like 80% success in the jars sealing themselves in this way.

Cook (!) also uses Bonne Maman jars - some have been in use for 10+ years - and yes the lids do get a good tighten down. Not noticed the "pop" setting itself.   Some of the jars appear set when they are opened for consumption but "un-set" quite quickly ... we've tried keeping the current jar in the fridge or not in the fridge ... no real difference.

Rob

« Reply #207 on: July 23, 2020, 09:31:34 am »
Bonne Maman deliberately make their jars reusable. Its been part of their company sales speel for years.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

fboab

• It's a fecking serious business, riding a bike
« Reply #208 on: July 23, 2020, 09:32:16 am »
I still use old school cellophane circles and elastic bands. Partly because I know you need new lids each time and I resent the cost. I also have a jam funnel so any jar will do.

Watery usually means that it wasn't really set properly in the first place, assuming you did have a clean seal.

TSS is not Total Sex Score, Chris!

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
« Reply #209 on: July 23, 2020, 09:53:31 am »
I have never noticed my marmalade going runny, whether the jar seals itself or not. I've noticed that the BM brand raspberry jam in our fridge tends to deliquesce quite rapidly - a jar of that stuff rarely lasts a week in our house and by the end of the week there's a little fluid around the jelly. I wonder whether there's something in the recipe which is causing it? All I put in my marmalade is 3lb Seville oranges, 2 lemons, 6lb sugar and 4 pints water.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #210 on: July 23, 2020, 05:21:26 pm »
If anything, my old jams (I don't do marmalade) are rock solid.

This seems like a lot of water to me. I'm no food scientist but my understanding is that preserves need an acidic pH, a VERY high sugar content and pectin to set.

I don't know if the pectin can somehow fail.

(My own microwave jams have no added water & are jus equal weights of jam sugar and fruit, microwaved in Pyrex till jammy.)

« Reply #211 on: July 23, 2020, 06:58:48 pm »
I've noticed that the BM brand raspberry jam in our fridge tends to deliquesce quite rapidly - a jar of that stuff rarely lasts a week in our house and by the end of the week there's a little fluid around the jelly. I wonder whether there's something in the recipe which is causing it?

French "jam" typically doesn't have as much sugar in it as British jam. The really solid jelly like set is a British thing.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #212 on: July 23, 2020, 07:05:59 pm »
I think the preserves that set solid are around 65-70% sugar by weight.

Preserves with less sugar tend to be runny and get mouldy.

Sugar crystallises out if there's too much.

robgul

« Reply #213 on: July 23, 2020, 07:46:06 pm »
Jury still seems undecided - cook says she's going to add separate pectin next year (in the past she's relied on the fruit having it??)

Rob

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #214 on: July 23, 2020, 07:57:21 pm »
I would have thought there was a lot in citrus peel but need to check this.

Jam sugar contains added pectin but is quite pricy.

I never finished the Certo I bought.

robgul

« Reply #215 on: July 23, 2020, 08:01:18 pm »
I would have thought there was a lot in citrus peel but need to check this.

Jam sugar contains added pectin but is quite pricy.

I never finished the Certo I bought.

. . . . the key may well be the pectin content in the peel - I understand you can buy it and add it as another ingredient, presumably to supplement the fruit's contribution.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #216 on: July 23, 2020, 08:15:26 pm »
Reading the Wikipedia article on pectin, it seems orange peel is 30% pectin, which is pretty huge. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pectin
I suspect too much water/not enough sugar/boiling.

Preserves need to be acidic to set but you've added lemon juice.

robgul

« Reply #217 on: July 24, 2020, 07:50:47 am »
UPDATE:  New jar was opened yesterday - pretty much set - decided to keep it in the fridge rather than the pantry (we had thought that refrigeration had been causing the un-setting?) - still pretty firm this morning.   

BUT of course it could just be another making batch, the labelling and coding system is a bit vague  "Maramalade 2020" doesn't reveal much detail!

Rob