Author Topic: Spa Cycles Nidd saddle (4,000 miles on)  (Read 5488 times)

Spa Cycles Nidd saddle (4,000 miles on)
« on: March 17, 2015, 05:20:20 pm »
Just a brief review of my Spa Cycles Nidd saddle after something over 4,000 miles.

Its firmness is almost legendary and, 4,000 miles on, it hardly seems to have lost any of its firmness. Perhaps there's a little more flex to it but not that you'd really notice. It has retained its shape and has no sign of "dimples" yet.

I've grown to like it after a bit of experimentation to get it at exactly the right angle. I use a lace to prevent it from "bowing" too much when riding. I find the saddle's rigidity suits me quite well now that I've got the thing in a position which suits me; I don't want too much flex and the lace helps with that.

A couple of photos to show how it looks now.

Re: Spa Cycles Nidd saddle (4,000 miles on)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 09:56:58 pm »
Very useful feedback. It suggests that I should stop faffing about trying to break in my Nidd using short local rides and just use it for Audax and see how it goes. I'm finding my Cambium is a bit too damp and sweaty once I get past 100km so I'll have a bash at using my Nidd on next week's 200k.

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 10:46:06 am »
Nice looking saddle. My Gilles Berthoud has done similar mileage with similar results. Still firm and in shape, but a bit more flex in the sit bone areas. If a leather saddle breaks in too quickly I think it is on the way to going out of shape, so slow breaking in is a good thing. GB and (I suspect) Spa use thicker leather than Brooks, leading to a potentially longer life for the saddle.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 12:56:17 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.
I too, have recently bought a Nidd - its the closest Spa saddle to the B17, I believe. I have a B17 shape....
Nidd experience positive so far though mileage saddle hours still low.
Pieter

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 01:30:05 pm »
Another Nidd fan here. I have one in each colour (!) on my bikes.
I bought a black one first and has seen me through about 6,000 miles. Its got the dimples and is almost as flexible as a B17 now after a couple of very wet rides and riding for a while without a boot lace (didn't notice it missing for quite some time!). It started off with a matt finish but with a bit of proofhide and generous polish with lycra it does get quite shiny.
Second came the honey version. No dimples after a couple of thousand miles and still feels as though its not broken in. Had a mat finish also. Has faded badly with a mixture of moisture and sunlight so looks pretty tatty although not worn in.
Just put a dark brown one on my new summer special audax bike. Out of the box the finish is superior to the other two. Polished finish a la Brooks and the bonded material on the underside has a floral pattern. Looks fantastic. Only time will tell how we get on together.....

Edi : forgot to say this is the most comfortable saddle  have ever owned. Longest ride 668km with absolutely no issues whatsoever.

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 01:33:18 pm »
Aren't these laminated to a backing so distortion is going to take MEGA miles?

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 08:22:07 pm »
Must confess to giving up on mine after it still looked ( and felt ) new after 1400 miles.   Maybe I should persevere.

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 11:17:48 am »
Must confess to giving up on mine after it still looked ( and felt ) new after 1400 miles.   Maybe I should persevere.

Try completely loosening the cord and reducing the tension using the bolt. This will allow more flex during the breaking-in process although one shouldn't expect large depressions in the sit-bones area as the leather is too thick for that to happen.

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 06:19:21 pm »
I'm finding my Cambium is a bit too damp and sweaty once I get past 100km so I'll have a bash at using my Nidd on next week's 200k.

How was the 200K?

It sometimes seems to me that people expect miracles from leather saddles. They, too, get wet after all when the sweat soaks in.

With my Nidd I find on longer rides that sweat penetrates and soaks the saddle in the area where the surface of the leather is visibly cracked (around the "sit bones"). Good wicking undershorts a must.

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 06:35:40 pm »
I put the Nidd on for Thursday nights ride and decided the angle needed tweaking but didn't get around to doing this until the 65k point in the 200k.  The Nidd was find upto 100k but from then on increasingly uncomfortable but not disastrously so.  Towards the end of the ride I had hot foot and sore hands which for me indicated my saddle was too far forward.  This means that the sitting point of the saddle is different with respect to the middle of the saddle compared to my Cambium.  I've only got about 1cm to move the saddle further back so will explore this change during the week.

During the ride is was possible to feel how comfortable the saddle might become once broken in a bit more.

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 11:07:26 am »
My Gilles Berthoud saddle, which, like the Spa Nidd, has thick leather and seems to need a lot of breaking in, is starting to feel a lot better. On last year's Cheltenham New Flyer 200 it was okay upto about 120k, then my sit bone area began to feel uncomfortable. This year, on the same ride, I got round without thinking about my bum. Success!

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 08:11:09 pm »
I'm tempted by the Nidd, very reasonably priced compared to a Brooks.

Wondering though how folk have got on with this saddle? Any updates on comfort or otherwise over distance?
Embrace your inner Fred.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 09:57:00 pm »
I haven't done a 200km on it yet.  Been on a bike since March 2012

I have used it for a few 100km including the Dartmoor Devil and it seems ok,  I don't have an exact comparision with a Brooks B17 to make.  I have 2 bikes with B17 on and one has a customized hole carved in it and the other is 10 years old.  Compared with these the Nidd seems hard.  It's not uncomfortable but I guess my bottom suits the B17/Nidd shape

It is wearing in slightly now, dunno how many miles it's done
Audaxing Blog follow @vorsprungbike on

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2015, 08:07:09 pm »
Mine's comfy - I guess I've done maybe 1400-1600K on it. It's never been really uncomfortable - I loosened the lacing for the first couple of hundred K, and I guess it seemed to break in a bit around the 1000K mark. I've mainly done short rides of 30-50K on it, but had no problems doing 150K on it.

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2015, 08:15:34 pm »
Still on mine. My well broken in one in black is as comfy as any saddle I've ever owned. Currently commuting 60k a day on it without padded shorts and feels just as comfy with or wihout padding.
My dark brown one is proving a bit more difficult to break in. Done a couple of thousand K on it this summer and still feels quite hard. Not really uncomfortable but noticeable after about 200k. Might try taking the lace out for a bit to see if it helps the process.
Still a bargain iin my eyes. Definitely a long term investment.

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2015, 10:56:05 am »
I've one of these that appears to have a 2003 date on it and I have never used it :-[

Maybe I will give it a go after reading these +ve reviews.  I've a saggy B17 I could replace.
Sic transit and all that..

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2016, 09:23:36 pm »
I've been using a black Nidd since last Easter. It's really quite comfortable but rock hard. I've probably done about 3000km on it and treated it with the included carnuba wax maybe 3 times. I'm sure that stuff does the saddle good but I just find that it makes it rather slippery.

I'd recommend the saddle, but on the basis that it's 50% the saddle getting used to an individual arse, and 50% your arse getting used to the saddle.

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2016, 01:28:51 pm »
Update

Original black one still going strong after 3 years. Well comfy, misshapen and starting to sag.

Light brown one looks badly faded and not had enough miles on it so not broken in.

Dark brown one not even broken in after 18 months. Did a 400 on it last week and was like sitting on a brick. I'm afraid I've had enough of this one and have  bought a Br**ks to replace for longer distance.

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2016, 11:16:05 am »
Slightly off topic - I have a Spa Aire which was like riding on a perfect saddle shaped piece of wood for the first 5000k. It suddenly transformed shortly afterwards into a very comfortable but supportive seat.

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2016, 11:06:30 pm »
Fair play to you for persevering. My Aire was beneath me when I developed a grade 2 pressure sore. It was taken off when I'd done the last 700km of LEL after it ruptured. Never ridden on it since.

The memory of the pain every time I stood and the lycra came away from the sticky exudate is still quite fresh 3 years later.

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2016, 08:34:25 pm »
Well my Br**ks experiment didn't last long. 370km in and it looks like this

Finish has been totally trashed, leather soft and rivets are rusting after TWO rides. Photos sent to Spa and they are going to send back to Brooks, Very disappointing for the price
Going to persevere with the Nidd. It's fine for up to 250km but not broken in enough for longer. Realistically I only do more than that a couple of times a year so will keep on with it. My original black Nidd is perfect.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2016, 08:42:29 pm »
more quality British workmanship?

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2016, 08:48:45 pm »
more quality British workmanship?

Shame really. Friends I've shared the photos with say Brooks quality is very hit and miss. Read on an American forum that Brooks is now owned by Selle Italia anyway so not even British. Leather saddles still made in UK but apparently if you buy a cambium from abroad they are shipped straight from Italy.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2016, 09:53:11 pm »
Keep up at the back; the Italians (Selle Royal) bought Brooks in 2002.

http://www.brooksengland.com/en_eu/timeline
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2016, 09:05:23 am »
Keep up at the back; the Italians (Selle Royal) bought Brooks in 2002.

http://www.brooksengland.com/en_eu/timeline

Apologies. Not quite up with the state of British manufacturing. That explains it. If it's an Italian company my new saddle was probably made on a Monday or Friday.