Author Topic: A Pair of Kirtons  (Read 40755 times)

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
Re: A Pair of Kirtons
« Reply #125 on: 03 June, 2015, 05:37:04 pm »
I do not think we will get there much before 9.30 maybe nearer 10.  Three of us in the car but limited to not leaving until later.  Les
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #126 on: 03 June, 2015, 08:05:18 pm »
Well that would have made things easier - my spangly new photoID driving license has arrived in time for me to no longer need to hire a car  ;D
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #127 on: 03 June, 2015, 08:11:47 pm »
Regarding parades in Askern.

I look forward to joining them as a memorable entrant riding along regally on the Pashley.

:)
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Cycling Daddy

« Reply #128 on: 03 June, 2015, 08:52:04 pm »

I look forward to joining them as a memorable entrant riding along regally on the Pashley.

Have you the full quota of gears this time?  If I remember correctly in the National 400 last year some were missing.
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #129 on: 03 June, 2015, 09:25:41 pm »
Anyone need a bed for the Sunday night?  I have a double room in the Adlington Travel Lodge.  It gets mighty lonely after a hard 2-days riding

caerau

« Reply #130 on: 03 June, 2015, 10:04:12 pm »
Sorry to be obtuse but where *exactly* is the methodist church hall in Poynton?  I'm looking at google streetview and it beats me.  I can see an osteopathic clinic next to the supermarket but just a bunch of private houses elsewhere.

I don't fancy hunting about for it and then getting there late and disturbing people.  Sorry if it's obvious and I've missed it somehow.

« Reply #131 on: 03 June, 2015, 10:11:29 pm »
Park at the far end of the car park behind Waitrose (long stay part and away from supermarket) and face supermarket rear and you will see it is on the left.

Or at least that how I remember it during a chat with Mike on the 400 event weekend.

caerau

« Reply #132 on: 03 June, 2015, 10:13:16 pm »
Cool, I'll be on my bike, but I guess I can put it there ;)

Thanks - so it's actually behind the supermarket then.

« Reply #133 on: 03 June, 2015, 10:20:46 pm »
Google 'waitrose poynton' and then look on maps and you will see it highlightrd.

Answer is always on the internet!

« Reply #134 on: 03 June, 2015, 10:28:41 pm »
Thanks - so it's actually behind the supermarket then.

Yes.  Look for the AUK banners

caerau

« Reply #135 on: 03 June, 2015, 10:32:56 pm »
Will do, thanks both  :thumbsup:

caerau

« Reply #136 on: 03 June, 2015, 10:34:22 pm »
Google 'waitrose poynton' and then look on maps and you will see it highlightrd.

Yes, the supermarket is easy, the Church Hall, not so much.  You can see where the Church is on the map too - I'd guessed the Hall was by the Church but was just making sure  :thumbsup:

« Reply #137 on: 03 June, 2015, 10:35:16 pm »
I'm getting a sudden flurry of interest from Scottish riders which has got me re-checking our weather forecast.  We seem to have it fairly benign.  I have 16 spare brevet cards ... 

« Reply #138 on: 03 June, 2015, 10:42:12 pm »

Have you the full quota of gears this time?  If I remember correctly in the National 400 last year some were missing.

Gears are now totally sorted thanks to some truly exceptional help and customer service from the very chaps that made my Roadster Sovereign at Pashley HQ. Bless them.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #139 on: 03 June, 2015, 10:48:24 pm »
I'm getting a sudden flurry of interest from Scottish riders which has got me re-checking our weather forecast.  We seem to have it fairly benign.  I have 16 spare brevet cards ...

Somewhat less clement north of the border - or so I'm told.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #140 on: 04 June, 2015, 12:09:13 am »

Yes, the supermarket is easy, the Church Hall, not so much.  You can see where the Church is on the map too - I'd guessed the Hall was by the Church but was just making sure  :thumbsup:

Poynton has a clear crossroads in the town centre (with a distinct cobbled "shared access" road junction).  You are 300 metres away from Waitrose at this point.  The Church Hall is behind Waitrose.

So don't panic, if you are on a cobbled-ish crossroads, you are almost there.

I'll be at my Father-in-law's from Friday afternoon, in Stockport.  I'll try to pop up there (although the Vernon Arms sounds like a horrendous "Chain-pub"). The Robinson's pub opposite Waitrose, The Farmers arms, seems a better bet (I never drank there) and, if it's still a Robinson's Pub, you'll at least be sampling local Beer.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #141 on: 04 June, 2015, 12:23:54 am »

I think that might be me and the boys.. . Looking forward to this ride after Scottish 600 was blown out. Four of us staying at Premier Inn up the road. See you early on Saturday am. Gav, Steve, ian and Russ.
Keep on keeping on.

Cycling Daddy

« Reply #142 on: 04 June, 2015, 05:36:41 am »

« Reply #143 on: 04 June, 2015, 10:02:43 am »

I think that might be me and the boys.. . Looking forward to this ride after Scottish 600 was blown out. Four of us staying at Premier Inn up the road. See you early on Saturday am. Gav, Steve, ian and Russ.

Glad to get a place on this ride at the last minute.

I've just printed out the route sheet.  Its slightly longer than I'm use to.  I better remember my reading glasses!
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #144 on: 04 June, 2015, 10:04:03 am »
I am no longer riding this event and have a room for Friday night at Travelodge for sale very near the start point.  (Macclesfield Adlington).

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Travelodge+Macclesfield+Adlington+Hotel/@53.3330233,-2.1322853,17z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x487a4b77a74536d7:0x11529c33e0beb8a3

PM if interested.

Edit: Double room.

« Reply #145 on: 04 June, 2015, 10:24:43 am »
I've just printed out the route sheet.  Its slightly longer than I'm use to.  I better remember my reading glasses!

It's only 600km!

« Reply #147 on: 04 June, 2015, 10:33:42 am »

It's only 600km!

It was the length of the route sheet I was referring to, not the length of the ride ;)
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #148 on: 04 June, 2015, 10:40:31 am »

It's only 600km!

It was the length of the route sheet I was referring to, not the length of the ride ;)

You could try ignoring every third line

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #149 on: 04 June, 2015, 10:45:44 am »
This ride comes back to Poynton via Alderley Edge.  Anyone new to the area may like to try this:

It's actually possible to walk from Alderley Edge to Poynton using Porsche Cayennes as stepping stones.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.