Author Topic: Altura NightVision Gilet  (Read 605 times)

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
Altura NightVision Gilet
« on: March 24, 2015, 01:13:33 pm »
http://www.altura.co.uk/products/detail/AL20NVS9

Fit
- Roomy. Will easily take a S/S or L/S jersey or jumper underneath it, and will go over the top of my winter coat at a push.
- Long enough at the back and short enough at the front to sit nicely when on the bike.
- Good collar with enough room for me, so I'd expect it to be a baggy collar on someone with a normal size neck.

Practicality
- No pockets. :(
- Hardshell windproof chest, sides and lower back, with a mesh upper back for ventilation.
- Is extremely light and folds up incredibly small, easily fitting in a jersey rear pouch with room to spare.

Performance
- I haven't been rained on wearing this, so can't say. Also, I've never had a hardshell windproof before, so can't assume from experience.
- Temperature-wise, you heat up fast inside it. The windproof panel that wraps around the lower back keeps the kidneys nice and warm.
- I wouldn't want to wear this by itself, it needs something between it and your skin.
- Very good for taking the sting out of a cold ride. I'd say it's optimal for chugging along at cruising speed around 5-10o when worn over the top of a L/S jersey. If you are putting in a lot of work, you'll overheat in it PDQ.
- It provides absolutely no residual warmth when you stop.

Value For Money
- Meh, I think it's something designed for riders who don't heat up as much as I do, or who don't have luggage and need something compact to stuff in a pocket. If you take a long time to warm, or suffer from the cold, I can see this being really good.

Fit: 5/5
Practicality: 3/5
Performance: 4/5
VFM: 2/5
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
Re: Altura NightVision Gilet
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 10:53:56 am »
Update: I've now been rained on whilst wearing it, and it's brilliant. It is showerproof, and my top underneath it was vaguely damp after 35mins in the rain this morning. :thumbsup:
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart