General Category > On The Road

Stolen

<< < (2/13) > >>

Basil:
In 1977 or 8, I had my first decent bike stolen.  A Dawes, that  I'd had converted from 5 to 10 speed at Tommy Godwin's shop in Kings Heath (the other Tommy Godwin).  The bike I did my first 200 on (dressed in trainers and jeans).
My housemates were both amazed and embarrassed as I sobbed that evening.

I still look out for it.

rogerzilla:

--- Quote from: hellymedic on August 02, 2015, 01:12:39 am ---Martin 'Cycling Silk's Brompton was stolen from a train at Twickenham at 23.45 1/8/2015.

--- End quote ---
I imagine a lot go missing from trains.  The TOCs forbid you from locking bikes to the rack so it's just asking to be taken at an intermediate station.  Thinking like a thief, provided you ensured you left the train with the stolen bike after everyone else, just before a station attendant came to close the still-open door, you'd be home free.  Wear a hoodie or cap as an anti-CCTV measure.

I think it might be best to use a flimsy cable lock and attach the bike to the rack unless you can actually see the rack from your seat.  It's unlikely anyone will really complain.

Or only get direct trains with no stops  ;D

fruitcake:
Carlton Reid has tweeted this photo showing how he locks his Brompton to his other luggage onboard a train.

https://twitter.com/carltonreid/status/628516103531184129

asterix:
Full marks to the Spanish copper who spotted this bike:

Vuelta a Espana: Stolen €12,000 bike 'on sale for €120'

--- Quote ---Police were inspecting the shop for suspected stolen goods when they spotted the bicycle's "exceptional technical characteristics".

A police statement (in Spanish) said the team had not yet had time to lodge a complaint for theft.

We are going to offer a jersey with stripes on to the person scum who stole the Orica Greenedge bike,'' police said on their official Twitter account (in Spanish). "His race ends in jail."
--- End quote ---

Kim:

--- Quote from: rogerzilla on August 04, 2015, 06:26:47 pm ---I imagine a lot go missing from trains.  The TOCs forbid you from locking bikes to the rack so it's just asking to be taken at an intermediate station.

--- End quote ---

The IEP prototype dangly bike space had a loop for locking bikes to, which could be un-looped using a carriage key if staff needed to remove the locked bike for whatever reason.  Not a bad idea, except that its presence further restricted the bike geometries that could be stowed, and limits the second cyclist's ability to play tetris.  The consensus amongst our group of testers was that we'd rather that cycle reservations automatically gave you a reservation for the seats overlooking the bike spaces.

--- Quote ---I think it might be best to use a flimsy cable lock and attach the bike to the rack unless you can actually see the rack from your seat.  It's unlikely anyone will really complain.

--- End quote ---

I generally strap bikes down with a ratchet strap, and apply the rear brake to improve stability, which probably helps deter opportunistic wandering-off by increasing the faff factor.  Obviously the recumbent is unlikely to be opportunistically stolen anyway, but it's the Brompton that I really worry about, and tend to keep it within sight.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version