Author Topic: the food rant thread  (Read 236308 times)

Re: the food rant thread
« Reply #1000 on: 02 March, 2016, 11:31:32 am »
There's a lot more than 84 minerals.
Rust never sleeps

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1001 on: 02 March, 2016, 11:42:59 am »
I just read this website about the Himalayan stuff and it indeed sounds really fantastic!1

Himalayan salt’s unique cellular structure allows it to store vibrational energy. Its minerals exist in a colloidal form, meaning that they are tiny enough for our cells to easily absorb.

Much better than the poisonous stuffs we have in our kitchen:

The table and cooking salt found in most homes, restaurants, and processed foods is void of nutritional value, lacking beneficial trace minerals. Processing salt turns it into sodium chloride, an unnatural salt the human body actually sees as a toxic invader!

Wow.  It must be true:  have you *seen* the letters after the author's name?

by Dr. Edward Group DC, NP, DACBN, DCBCN, DABFM

1. For values of "fantastic" close to "a huge steaming pile of pseudo-scientific claptrap"
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1002 on: 02 March, 2016, 12:14:46 pm »
Weirdly, I have a big grinder full of Himalayan rock salt. I saw weird because I have no idea where it came from. OK, the Himalayas, obvs.

Doesn't make any other claims on the label though. Seems to be from Lidl. I've never been to a Lidl or the Himalayas.
It was left behind by a visiting Sherpa.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1003 on: 02 March, 2016, 12:23:38 pm »
Weirdly, I have a big grinder full of Himalayan rock salt. I saw weird because I have no idea where it came from. OK, the Himalayas, obvs.

Doesn't make any other claims on the label though. Seems to be from Lidl. I've never been to a Lidl or the Himalayas.

Check the shed to see whether a yeti has taken up residence.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #1004 on: 02 March, 2016, 12:31:00 pm »
I was actually musing Kitchen Yetis. I've yet to explore the crytozoology of my local environs, when you're regularly trafficking between Heaven and Hell it's hard to focus on Surrey.

I do have a vertiginous garden out the back of The Asbestos Palace, where it rises to the dramatic eyrie of the summer house (not a shed at all, it has a veranda). Occasionally the pampas grass in front rustles ominously.

« Reply #1005 on: 02 March, 2016, 12:32:02 pm »
I just read this website about the Himalayan stuff and it indeed sounds really fantastic!1

Himalayan salt’s unique cellular structure allows it to store vibrational energy. Its minerals exist in a colloidal form, meaning that they are tiny enough for our cells to easily absorb.

The table and cooking salt found in most homes, restaurants, and processed foods is void of nutritional value, lacking beneficial trace minerals. Processing salt turns it into sodium chloride, an unnatural salt the human body actually sees as a toxic invader!

1. For values of "fantastic" close to "a huge steaming pile of pseudo-scientific claptrap"

We just don't realise what a Superfood it is! According to Hemsley and Hemsley* because it is dried naturally by the sun and the wind, the enzymes in it are preserved!!!!!!!!

I'm going to give up so-called food, and live on salt.

*Hemsley and Hemsley, discuss.

There, I've lit the blue touchpaper, and will now retire to a safe distance to enjoy the fireworks.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1006 on: 02 March, 2016, 01:04:40 pm »

Himalayan salt’s unique cellular structure allows it to store vibrational energy...

And that's where I stop reading this sort of stuff.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #1007 on: 02 March, 2016, 04:31:11 pm »
Have you discovered Himalayan Rock Salt yet? It's magic! It contains 84 essential minerals and elements that are essential to health!

I can't be arsed to count, but of the 94 naturally occuring elements in the Periodic Table are there not some that are not found on their own, are not "bioavailable", are toxic, are radioactive or are inert?

…or am I missing something? ;)

Minerals and elements, not just elements. So perhaps given we can safely assume it contains salt, it also contains sodium and chlorine. So if you want to count in the style of a marketing person you can count "sodium chloride, sodium, chlorine, potassium chloride, potassium" and get "five minerals and elements" out of just sodium and potassium chloride.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

contango

« Reply #1008 on: 02 March, 2016, 04:34:49 pm »

Wow, processing sodium chloride turns it into sodium chloride. Who would have thought that? In related news, peanut butter may contain peanuts and Toyota salesmen don't recommend Honda vehicles.

I wonder if putting the Himalayan salt into a grinder breaks up the cellular structure and releases all that vibrational energy. It could make a chicken vindaloo even more explosive if that's the case.

Never seen so many letters so the guy must know what he's talking about. Maybe.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1009 on: 02 March, 2016, 05:44:00 pm »
Sodium chloride crystals do not have a cellular structure.
Salt is truly inorganic.
No hocus-pocus will change this.

But don't let HARD SCIENCE and FACTS get in the way of sales drivel.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1010 on: 02 March, 2016, 06:30:20 pm »
I do have a vertiginous garden out the back of The Asbestos Palace, where it rises to the dramatic eyrie of the summer house (not a shed at all, it has a veranda). Occasionally the pampas grass in front rustles ominously.

Yeti for sure.  Not sure whether the council's Pest Control bods do yetis.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1011 on: 02 March, 2016, 06:48:12 pm »
but

This form of salt has also been maturing over the past 250 million years under intense tectonic pressure

whereas:-

Common salt is dried at more than 1,200° Fahrenheit, a process which zaps many of the natural chemical structures.

That's got to be a real downer when it comes to vibrational wossnames.  1200F sounds a lot harsher than 250 million years under intense tectonic pressure.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

contango

« Reply #1012 on: 03 March, 2016, 04:13:19 am »
Salt is truly inorganic.

True, I must admit I saw those words and my brain translated it into "molecular structure", more or less.

Either way it's a load of drivel. But I do rather like the pink Himalayan salt. A friend of mine sells his own derivative product where he mixes it with garlic, onion and Carolina Reaper powder. It's pretty fiery.

essexian

« Reply #1013 on: 03 March, 2016, 08:13:17 am »
First World Problem.....First World Problem....First World Problem......

Virgin Trains have stopped doing the Veggie Breakfast on the 8.43am out of Stafford in First Class.

Its just not good enough. I'll be writing to Richard once I can find the green ink!

First World Problem....First World Problem.....First World Problem.....

« Reply #1014 on: 03 March, 2016, 10:19:44 am »
Salt is truly inorganic.

True, I must admit I saw those words and my brain translated it into "molecular structure", more or less.

Either way it's a load of drivel. But I do rather like the pink Himalayan salt. A friend of mine sells his own derivative product where he mixes it with garlic, onion and Carolina Reaper powder. It's pretty fiery.

I've never tried the pink stuff, but I do like sea salt. I prefer the flavour to that of straight NaCl. It's the impurities that do it!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1015 on: 03 March, 2016, 06:10:09 pm »
Salt is truly inorganic.

I've never tried the pink stuff, but I do like sea salt. I prefer the flavour to that of straight NaCl. It's the impurities that do it!

Suspect that's true if you are tasting salt straight from its container.
Suspect when pure NaCl is added to Real FoodTM, the minerals therein will combine with it to have a richer taste.

Would need a blind tasting of (eg) vegetable soup seasoned with sea salt v Saxa to see if there is any difference in practice, which I doubt.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1016 on: 04 March, 2016, 09:04:29 am »

Suspect that's true if you are tasting salt straight from its container.
Suspect when pure NaCl is added to Real FoodTM, the minerals therein will combine with it to have a richer taste.

Would need a blind tasting of (eg) vegetable soup seasoned with sea salt v Saxa to see if there is any difference in practice, which I doubt.

Presumably Saxa et al use salt that, once upon a time, was in the sea.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1017 on: 04 March, 2016, 09:26:26 am »
I've never tried the pink stuff, but I do like sea salt. I prefer the flavour to that of straight NaCl. It's the impurities that do fish poo that does it!

FTFY :demon:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1018 on: 04 March, 2016, 09:49:53 am »
 ^^^Not to mention the odd passing gull.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #1019 on: 04 March, 2016, 05:55:43 pm »
Quote from: some charlatan
Himalayan salt’s unique cellular structure allows it to store vibrational energy.

So you're supposed to go "Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmnomnomnom mani padme hum..." as you grind it then?  ???

Yeah, that's my coat... the saffron-coloured one with the yak hair stuffing. ;D

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #1020 on: 04 March, 2016, 08:44:06 pm »
I've never tried the pink stuff, but I do like sea salt. I prefer the flavour to that of straight NaCl. It's the impurities that do fish poo that does it!

FTFY :demon:

It's even worse than that!

Do you know why W C Fields never drank water?

(click to show/hide)

contango

« Reply #1021 on: 06 March, 2016, 04:45:15 am »
Quote from: some charlatan
Himalayan salt’s unique cellular structure allows it to store vibrational energy.

So you're supposed to go "Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmnomnomnom mani padme hum..." as you grind it then?  ???

Yeah, that's my coat... the saffron-coloured one with the yak hair stuffing. ;D

I think you need something more like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4q6eaLn2mY

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1022 on: 07 March, 2016, 11:06:34 pm »
Carrot in a chicken dish?  No.  Wrong!
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

ian

« Reply #1023 on: 11 March, 2016, 11:58:30 am »
Hold on, I had carrot in a chicken tagine the other day. Carrot and chickens can be friends.

Today is a horrible day. I just looked in the cupboard for a post-swimming snack. No pecans. NO PECANS! And I don't have time to whiz to Holland & Barrett, my favoured supplier of 'perky pecans'. I know #firstworldproblems

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1024 on: 11 March, 2016, 12:30:05 pm »
Carrot in a chicken dish,
Swimming like a fish,
It's time to make a wish.
No? Oh, pish!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.