Author Topic: the food rant thread  (Read 236254 times)

Re: the food rant thread
« Reply #1850 on: 10 May, 2023, 02:16:20 pm »
Can you put that coleslaw on a ham and pineapple pizza?
Not something I would ever consider doing, but if that's to your taste I won't be judgmental.
Not publicly, anyway.

sam

« Reply #1851 on: 10 May, 2023, 02:29:16 pm »
...I won't be judgmental.
Not publicly, anyway.

It has to be public or people don't learn.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1852 on: 21 May, 2023, 05:44:38 pm »
They've posted my review in full!

390g carton was 40p when I ordered it last night and 60p when I got it today...

And now it's on Special Offer for 20p!

I've ordered 3 cartons.

Tinned tomatoes have sudden got rather pricy...

rr

« Reply #1853 on: 22 May, 2023, 08:55:26 am »

It'll be a bargain at 10p off next week.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 using Tapatalk
I was nearly right.

« Reply #1854 on: 22 May, 2023, 09:24:48 am »
A packet of sliced Garlic sausage at Lidl was 75p not that long ago. I think it was Polish. Today in new packaging so probably a new supplier, £1.49. Camembert has now doubled in price also.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1855 on: 22 May, 2023, 03:12:21 pm »
It'll be a bargain at 10p off next week.
I was nearly right.

…Except that it's NOT AVAILABLE today...

« Reply #1856 on: 22 May, 2023, 03:39:20 pm »
A packet of sliced Garlic sausage at Lidl was 75p not that long ago. I think it was Polish. Today in new packaging so probably a new supplier, £1.49. Camembert has now doubled in price also.
Lidl define the packaging- that doesn't mean anything other than range change. Could be the same recipe from the same factory. It might mean the factory could no longer afford to produce to the 75p price point- it's not always retailer gouging. Just usually.

ian

« Reply #1857 on: 19 June, 2023, 08:27:52 pm »
Mr Kipling, of the exceedingly good cakes fame, not the other one.

I don't often eat cake, but in the mood during a hike, I spied a box of almond slices in a convenience store as we stopped for drinks. Admittedly, Mr Kipling brings some mixed memories, not because he was a bad sort (please don't tell me, so much of my childhood has already been sown with salt), but because I always ended up with the pink French Fancy, which was universally acknowledged as the worst.

Anyway, off we wandered with our sugary prize back into the wilds of, erm, Bromley, seeking a suitable spot for our impromptu patisserie picnic (which turned out to be a soggy bench hosting a revealing glimpse of that palace of debauchery, Chevening).

Firstly, let me take issue with size. Size is sometimes important. This was an entire box of cake slices, right? It was ~50% packaging – a fact I verified with data science by unpacking all the slices and making a little bar chart of cake versus box. The pack is made up of individual packs of two bars, each of which needs a little plastic nest for them to live in, then film wrapping, and associated space around everything. A combination meal deal of both portion size disappointment and environmental destruction. Just unpacking them made me feel like the CEO of Exxon kicking a sea otter.

There's still cake though. Not so much of it, but enough that we can maybe fuel the remaining 10km back to the car. It's cake, Jim, but not as we know it. The sponge tasted like I'd imagine wallpaper paste to taste, a literally anaemic layer of jam, and slices of almond that may well have been the toenails off a corpse.

I did check the sell-by date, as I figured that maybe they'd been baked in the era of King Alfred, but they improbably only encouraged me to consume them before August. After which, I guess all bets were off.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1858 on: 19 June, 2023, 08:31:53 pm »
The sea otters hate you now.

By they way, weren't they fondant fancies, or is that something different from a French fancy? And are the pink ones still the worst?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #1859 on: 19 June, 2023, 08:39:25 pm »
Mr Kiplings French Fancies were the thing of my childhood (along with the noble if slightly treasonous Battenburg and a more patriotic Victoria Sponge on a Saturday evening). French Fancies were more of a Sunday afternoon cake. No one wanted the pink. Of course, my father got the chocolate ones, and my sister would only eat the lemon ones or have a big cry baby.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1860 on: 19 June, 2023, 08:45:06 pm »
I used to love Battenburg. I'm still way too fond of marzipan, but in cake terms I'd rather have a Victoria sponge. I must be becoming patriotic in my old age.

Mr Google suggests to me that fondant fancies are a generic term for what Mr Kipling sells as French fancies (currently £1.50 for eight from Ocado, he – Mr Google – also tells me).

ian

« Reply #1861 on: 19 June, 2023, 08:51:06 pm »
If my almond slice experience is anything to go by, French Fancies – which were, I am sure, the size of footstools during my childhood – are now the size of thimbles and topped with a nipple of disappointment. I'm going to kick the wall the next time I walk by Kipling's old gaff in Burwash. That'll show him.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1862 on: 19 June, 2023, 09:04:43 pm »
Mr Kiplings French Fancies were the thing of my childhood (along with the noble if slightly treasonous Battenburg and a more patriotic Victoria Sponge on a Saturday evening). French Fancies were more of a Sunday afternoon cake. No one wanted the pink. Of course, my father got the chocolate ones, and my sister would only eat the lemon ones or have a big cry baby.

I liked the pink ones!  Not as good as the lemon thobut.

I bet they don't sell them in France.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1863 on: 20 June, 2023, 01:52:17 pm »
Nah, I bet the French call them les delices anglaises de monsieur Kipling.

« Reply #1864 on: 20 June, 2023, 02:14:58 pm »
French Fancies bring up memories of vomiting them up in large chunks as a very young child (even then, it appears I had a tendency to overeat cake).  :facepalm:

Fortunately, I've managed to overcome this (the memory, not the tendency to overeat cake) and can now happily eat a French Fancy or six, though I agree that the pink ones are the worst (brown, yellow, pink being the correct order from good to bad).

ian

« Reply #1865 on: 20 June, 2023, 09:50:06 pm »
All I can advise is to avoid the almond slices, they are a pale imitation of, erm, actual almond slices. I suspect on this basis Mr Kipling's Bakewell tart slices are a crime against humanity. I won't have bad Bakewell.

There's something really disappointing about bad cake. As a former wobblephant, I am doomed to a perpetual wariness of senseless calories, so if I'm going to indulge it should taste good. Disappointing lettuce isn't nearly as disappointing as disappointing patisserie.

In other news, a deer once stole my Bakewell tart. I balanced it on a wall for a moment and the bugger jumped up (there was a drop on the other side) up and snarfed it down and then stood there with a 'what are you going to do, I'm a deer' look and then bounced off. The worst thing is that my wife, to this day, does not believe the deer ate my tart and thinks I ate it and I'm just blaming the deer for the rapidity of the aforementioned tart's consumption. A verdict she delivers with an accompaniment of piggy oink oink noises.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1866 on: 20 June, 2023, 10:18:43 pm »
...In other news, a deer once stole my Bakewell tart...

I have seen deer mugging people for Mars Bars. Don't mess with large animals with sharp stabby things protruding from their heads.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1867 on: 20 June, 2023, 11:54:31 pm »
Chap I know had his entire lunch nommed by wild boar in Corsica.  They’re definitely beasties not to mess wif.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1868 on: 21 June, 2023, 08:18:48 am »
A monkey in India (possibly a rhesus) stole my son's ham sandwich. And then bared its teeth when I tried to recover it. They have extremely large, pointed canines. Possibly it was a vampire monkey, although it was out in the day.

ian

« Reply #1869 on: 21 June, 2023, 08:38:24 pm »
I have lost a number of scrummy food items over the years to monkeys. Never in Surrey though.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1870 on: 21 June, 2023, 08:47:19 pm »
That's coz the BEARS et all the monkeys.

ian

« Reply #1871 on: 21 June, 2023, 09:34:20 pm »
That's one explanation.

A monkey stole a curry from the table next to mine in Malaysia once. Clambered up a tree with the bowl intact, much to the distress of the diner, then looked at the bowl, looked back at the table, balanced the bowl on a branch, jumped back down, and snatched a handful of chappati to go with it.

In my experience, Indian monkeys are the naughtiest, followed by Malaysian.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1872 on: 21 June, 2023, 09:37:34 pm »
The kites are far naughtier than the monkeys. Mind you, the Watlington monkeys are probably worst of all.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1873 on: 21 June, 2023, 09:56:38 pm »
The Watlington kites are very keen on doner meat.  I'm not sure whether the monkeys are, or whether they'd prefer a parmo.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1874 on: 17 November, 2023, 08:21:32 am »
Aaargh!  Where the blue fuck have you von Brandenburgs hidden the coffee?  If I have to go out to buy more before tomorrow morning I shall be Displeased.

Edit: disaster averted.  Beans and grinder located.  Cats scared by noise of grinder.  Builders not scared by noise of grinder, steal coffee, force me to brew some more chiz.