Author Topic: Alpkit BruKit camping stove  (Read 3936 times)

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Alpkit BruKit camping stove
« on: May 10, 2015, 03:32:39 pm »
Unfortunately I ordered this just too late for it to arrive before Long Itch, but as a couple of people have expressed an interest I thought I'd take a few snaps of my new Alpkit BruKit stove. You get a pot with an integrated heat exchanger and a neoprene cozy, a soft plastic lid, a stove with a built-in windshield and igniter and a little gas canister stand:

(Gas not included)

First of all, for £35 and free delivery it's really quite nice. Feels pretty sturdy, and including a canister stand (a special offer, apparently) is a nice touch. All of it, including the canister stand and a 220g gas canister, fits neatly into the pot and then into its little mesh sack (as is traditional, spork for scale):

And for the weight weenies, this all (including can stand and mesh sack but not the gas canister) weighs just over 500g, half my previous pot set, screw-on stove, fire stick and can stand:

Putting it together, it can be an effort to pop the gas can off the stove in its packed position because the dimples which lock the stove to the pot also hold the can to the top of the stove:

But then it all screws together easily. Fully assembled it's about two sporks tall:

Finally, a piezo igniter (the little grey square button on the left) is a nice touch and saves scrabbling around for a soggy pack of matches:

A couple of things worth mentioning: as I suspected, it's probably too big to use as a mug (unless you REALLY like tea) and my research suggests it doesn't always play nicely with Coleman gas canisters, which use a slightly off-spec valve. This 220g Primus can is a tight fit - a 250 would be too tall to get the lid on.

I'll try and add to this thread when I first get it out into the fresh air for a cuppa.  :thumbsup:

Re: Alpkit BruKit camping stove
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 09:49:14 pm »
Watching with interest as thought it looked good when you first mentioned ordering it.

And I do like tea rather a lot so would probably cope with using it as a mug  :thumbsup:

RE spork for reference - how long is yours?
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 10:25:28 pm »
One minor issue so far. Because it's a bit bigger than a screw-on stove, my clumsy hands have b0rked the valves on two cans of gas over tightening the stove to the can. Oops. Must be more delicate in future.

RE spork for reference - how long is yours?

It's a Light My Fire plastic spork, 17cm long.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 10:29:46 am »
Have ordered one of these. I figure it will be big enough for me to make a cup of coffee for me and then porij for me and the boy on our upcoming camping adventure. All other eating will be done in eating establishments.

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 10:34:09 am »
that looks great  :thumbsup:
Does not play well with others

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 12:31:43 pm »
Watch out heating milk in these for hot chocolate. I turned it up a bit high and may have burned the milk a bit as it boiled in about 30 seconds!

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 08:14:32 pm »
Ive had mine for about 6mths and performed faultlessly,  happy to recommend and pot big enough for two. Found it to be pretty quiet and still on original canister after a dozen brews and meals. Have to get exact size gas for it to all snug up in net bag.