Author Topic: Brooks Cambium C15/C17  (Read 26592 times)

Re: Brooks Cambium C15/C17
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2018, 12:19:28 pm »
Alerted to this from another thread, a Selle Atomica answer to the Cambium: https://selleanatomica.com/products/r2?variant=13838086144102

Tensionable. Interesting.

My C17 Carved has gone a bit saggy and leads to annoying bobbing when sat up. Currently auditioning replacement perches.

Cudzoziemiec

• Waking up now, put the kettle on!
« Reply #76 on: November 05, 2018, 12:35:26 pm »
Alerted to this from another thread, a Selle Atomica answer to the Cambium: https://selleanatomica.com/products/r2?variant=13838086144102

My C17 Carved has gone a bit saggy and leads to annoying bobbing when sat up. Currently auditioning replacement perches.
Interesting. But I'd think sitting directly on the rubber, rather than on a textile surface over the rubber, would rapidly get very sweaty.
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2018, 12:48:11 pm »
My Cambium is the 'all weather' rubber top version. Not noticeably sweatier than any other saddle, but I am very sweaty anyway. I make my Spa Nidd (leather) look like it's been raining when i ride it... :sick:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2018, 12:50:05 pm »
I thought the all-weather version also had some sort of fabric covering the rubber base layer, just a different fabric (nylon?) from the cotton canvas on the standard version?
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2018, 01:32:12 pm »
Interesting. But I'd think sitting directly on the rubber, rather than on a textile surface over the rubber, would rapidly get very sweaty.

Maybe use something else for the World Naked Bike Ride, then?
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2018, 08:28:27 pm »
You'd have to ask Wowbagger...

« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2019, 01:16:56 pm »
Did anyone else find the C17 a bit too boingy? It was comfortable enough (325km longest ride on it) but I never got used to the slight bounce while pedalling. Gone back to the Madison Prime that came with a bike.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2019, 03:11:59 pm »
Can't say I've noticed a boing in the two C17 I have.

« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2020, 06:09:50 am »

They have had 12 months of "production problems" and have only just started shipping to the pre-order customers who have been waiting over a year.

Some "reviews" on the Selle Anatomica site, don't know how much to trust reviews on a suppliers site? Most of the reviewers give 5 stars but seem to have only done a few kms. I am not sure why they would need to be "tensionable"  as neither of my C17 have shown any hint of stretching after 1,000s of kms, they are though too hard for more than 200. Perhaps Selle Anatomica are just using the same frame as their leather ones so are making a virtue of an unneeded feature?

I have had 3 leather Selle Anatomica saddles in the last 6 years and all stretched out completely in less than 6 months use, (4 to 5 thousand kms each) but were comfortable while they lasted so a non-stretching Selle Anatomica saddle is of interest to me. I will keep an eye on the "reviews", if anyone gets a R2 their review here will carry a lot more weight.

« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2020, 05:36:00 pm »
I'm on my second leather SA and was interested in the R2 but the delays have gone on and on. I'm waiting to see if it will be available through Amazon UK to avoid a nasty import tax surprise. I did buy an H2 18 months ago via Amazon as I was interested in the lighter cast frame reducing overall weight. However, out of the box the finishing was terrible with numerous rough edges, nicks and damage. It didn't even go on the bike - straight back to Amazon for a refund (without any issues). I note one R2 reviewer on the SA site points to poor quality assembly. My current 'X' saddle is ok but after a couple of hours it seems to have sagged sufficiently for it to affect my position on the bike - presumably the R2 will not do this - more than one of the site reviews confirm that the saddle is 'firmer' than the leather versions. There's a youtube review here, where the guy decides it's not for him within an hour ... https://youtu.be/HdkQvi4nEbQ
It does seem logical to use the same sub-frame assembly even if the tensioning is not as usable and you can swap it out for a leather top if needs be.

« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2020, 09:01:26 am »
... I did buy an H2 18 months ago ... My current 'X' saddle is ok but after a couple of hours it seems to have sagged sufficiently for it to affect my position on the bike ...There's a youtube review here, where the guy decides it's not for him within an hour ... https://youtu.be/HdkQvi4nEbQ ... even if the tensioning is not as usable and you can swap it out for a leather top if needs be.

My most recent Selle Anatomica was a H2 and rather than being a "more durable saddle" as claimed mine stretched more and faster than my 2 previous Xs which like yours stretched too much even during a short brevet. But perhaps its just me, I rode with Keith Morical in March last year (he 600, me 200) and he was on a H2 that he planned to use in the Trans Am Bike Race in June (6,800kms), he came second (in 19 days) and then PBP, and other training & "races", all told he would have done 20,000+kms on the H2 in 2019, saw a picture of his bike in November and the same(?) SA was still on but looking very stretched

The video you mention is interesting, it shows the tensioning bolt to be almost a token, about 25 rather than 55mm, close to zero tensioning possibility, he says the R2 fits between his SA X and Brooks C17 (all weather) with regard to "hardness" which is exactly where I would like . Perhaps the grippyness is less with longer lycra shorts rather than shorter denim ones? Guess we will have to await someone getting one and doing a few thousand kms on it.