Author Topic: Yet another stuck seatpost  (Read 2088 times)

Yet another stuck seatpost
« on: 29 May, 2015, 03:40:12 pm »
Bought new saddle. Thought it would be easier to take out seat post with old one still attached to fit. Won't sodding come out! I haven't tried particularly hard to get it out (hairdryer, WD etc...) and there are plenty of other threads advising how to remove, but I thought I'd ask about....

When I run my hand up the seat tube, I can feel it bulge where the seatpost is inserted into the tube (a few inches below the top tube). In fact, you can almost see it (Clicky images for larger pics):

Here it is with a handy line drawn on:

Can you see what I mean? Is this normal?

Second question, can I just ignore this for the time being? Just fit the new saddle and forget about it? Or am I going to die if I ride it like this?

Any advice much appreciated...

Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Chris N

Re: Yet another stuck seatpost
« Reply #1 on: 29 May, 2015, 03:44:38 pm »
That's normal - the tube is externally butted.  Typical for a steel frame, they're 28.6mm at the bottom and 29.8/30.0 at the top.

« Reply #2 on: 29 May, 2015, 03:47:11 pm »
Excellent! Thanks.

What about ignoring the fact that it's stuck for now? Or should I make more of an effort to get it out sooner rather than later?

« Reply #3 on: 29 May, 2015, 04:04:24 pm »
Looks to be an anodized post so fairly unlikely that it has electrochemically welded it'self to the seat tube.

I think application of big fuck off leverage, twisting the post, is called for.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4 on: 29 May, 2015, 05:14:07 pm »
If you are happy with your current saddle height and are not planning to sell/lend/give the bike to someone else, why would you worry? It won't self-destroy. It will just be harder to move the seatpost next time someone try.

« Reply #5 on: 29 May, 2015, 05:16:30 pm »
... and if you need to move the saddle up or down by just a few millimeters, changing the pedals might do the job instead of moving the seatpost.

« Reply #6 on: 29 May, 2015, 05:27:27 pm »
Well, I've been out to get some proper penetrating fluid. I'll leave it overnight and see if it will budge in the morning. If it doesn't, I'll just shove the new saddle on for now and worry about it later...

« Reply #7 on: 29 May, 2015, 05:38:57 pm »
A blow torch will probably free it up - but will spoil the paint. If you can't get it moved with penetrating oil and leverage you may wish to leave it until you really need to move it.

I had an alloy post stuck in a carbon frame. I gave up and let someone else have the fun of playing with caustic soda in garden.

Mike

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #8 on: 29 May, 2015, 07:02:48 pm »
If you don't fix it now, you'll regret it. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #9 on: 29 May, 2015, 07:33:35 pm »
Why would he necessarily regret it? (if I assume that the saddle is already set at the proper height) I have a steel racing bike built in 1989. The seatpost have been stuck for almost 20 years now, but I still enjoy riding this bike, and since I have not grown up in that period of time, I do not feel the need to raise the saddle!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #10 on: 30 May, 2015, 04:12:08 pm »
When I run my hand up the seat tube, I can feel it bulge
fnaaaar

Well, I've been out to get some proper penetrating fluid

fnaaaar
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11 on: 30 May, 2015, 04:26:12 pm »
Why would he necessarily regret it? (if I assume that the saddle is already set at the proper height) I have a steel racing bike built in 1989. The seatpost have been stuck for almost 20 years now, but I still enjoy riding this bike, and since I have not grown up in that period of time, I do not feel the need to raise the saddle!

Saddles vary in height/depth and might need to be replaced. It's useful to be able to adjust the height of a new seat IMO.

Paul

« Reply #12 on: 30 May, 2015, 05:23:47 pm »

I was being a bit flippant, and squeezing in a cheeky movie quote (did you get it?).

But it would bother me, and has. I had a stuck seat post in an mtb once. I initially took the view that I was going to ride the bike into the ground long before I started to get shorter with age, so why worry. Then an opportunity to ride with a friend (who needed to borrow a bike) arose and I couldn't drop the saddle for her. This happened more than once. Then I got the new bike itch but it had to be a one-in-one-out thing (and the shop did do part exchanges), so I had to fix it.

And Helly's right too. Saddles, pedals and shoes all vary. Then factor in age and mobility (you never know when you might want to tweak that position).

I think it's just useful to have an adjustable seat post. The sooner you sort it, the easier it is.

But I appreciate not everyone will feel the same way.

« Reply #13 on: 30 May, 2015, 05:42:38 pm »
Well, I tried again this morning and it still wouldn't shift, so I just stuck the new saddle on and everything is fine.

It does bother me a little, but I want to ride this bike now and over the summer. I don't really want to get into a potentially long, pain in the arse situation where I might damage something getting the post out which might keep it off the road for a while. Once the summer is over, I won't care, so I'll probably wait until then to get all medieval on it...

Paul

« Reply #14 on: 30 May, 2015, 05:53:37 pm »
There are easy-ish things you can try without too much bother and no damage. I'd suggest taking the saddle off and clamping a long lever (broom handle?) in somehow. Put the bike between some things that will stop it rotating (door frame/bollards/kitchen appliances), using something to protect the paintwork (blankets/cushions/children) then lever that baby out like a cork from a bottle!

« Reply #15 on: 30 May, 2015, 09:34:52 pm »
 Bearing in mind that aluminium expands and contracts at a different rate to steel. I'd be tempted to try some plumber's freezing stuff on the post ( The stuff that they use to put fittings into pipes without turning the water off.)  after applying some heat on the seat post. There appears to be plenty of post to get at. Use an old saddle to twist it.

« Reply #16 on: 31 May, 2015, 01:59:55 pm »
I'd be tempted to try some plumber's freezing stuff on the post

Cheers! That's a top tip! And exactly what I've just done. Bought some plumber's freeze spray, sprayed up that bad boy, put old saddle on, warmed seat tube with hairdryer then whacked saddle with mallet. Hard. And it worked!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #17 on: 31 May, 2015, 02:42:03 pm »
Yay!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Paul

« Reply #18 on: 31 May, 2015, 09:56:34 pm »
That's some nice science.

8)

Ben T

« Reply #19 on: 31 May, 2015, 11:26:52 pm »
Now go out and buy a titanium one so it doesn't happen again! ;)

« Reply #20 on: 01 June, 2015, 08:26:26 am »
Nice to see it's worked , the seat post's still useable as well. My other bit of science to try was sink unblocker/ caustic soda!

« Reply #21 on: 01 June, 2015, 08:28:15 am »
Great - now give that seat tube a serious sanding out on the inside and flush it with oil.
<i>Marmite slave</i>