Author Topic: Windows 10 upgrade - yay or nay?  (Read 32356 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Windows 10 upgrade - yay or nay?
« Reply #400 on: July 25, 2016, 09:07:15 am »
I get occasional Explorer crashes without any of the complication of linux shares in the mix, which is a PITA but not a showstopper.  Microsith still seem to have limited understanding of networks in general, which may also explain the internet connection thing.  Machines at former workplaces used to insist that "a network cable is unplugged", usually when I was using six terminal emulators, two browsers, Outlook and the helldesk without any noticeable loss of service, as far back as the early days of XP.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #401 on: July 25, 2016, 12:44:03 pm »
AND explorer crashes browsing samba shares on one of my linux boxes. That's something that I'm still trying to resolve and could require tinkering with the smb.conf file, though it wasn't an issue with win7.

I had trouble accessing my NASs, having come from W8.1 where they were all set up OK.  A bit of Googling led me to this:
Control Panel > Network > Homegroup (I don't have one set up) > Change advanced settings > Private >
then UNcheck "Allow Windows to manage Homegroup settings (recommended)" - and that did it for me.
It's not dark yet but it's getting there.

Andrew

« Reply #402 on: July 25, 2016, 12:58:47 pm »
Control Panel > Network > Homegroup (I don't have one set up) > Change advanced settings > Private >
then UNcheck "Allow Windows to manage Homegroup settings (recommended)" - and that did it for me.

I'll give that a go and report back.

I don't have a homegroup either. In fact, I struggle to comprehend its purpose (and can't be arsed to find out) or why one would want/need on but whatever...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #403 on: July 25, 2016, 01:29:58 pm »
Everyone, don't be put off when told your graphics card is not supported by W10.  You can still upgrade now for the sake of getting your license activated - as I did with a Dell 1501 laptop yesterday (via USB pre-download).   If it only works in low res, revert to W7 and hope they'll be a suitable W10 driver eventually.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #404 on: July 25, 2016, 02:40:25 pm »
I got a bit reckless and just hit the button, so this is now a Win10 machine. The system has seized up once already, but Win7 did that too: workaround is to shut the lid, so it has to recreate the desktop on reawakening. I think it's something in Firefox that's to blame.

« Reply #405 on: July 25, 2016, 07:06:13 pm »
I have tried numerous times today to search for updates to Windows 7.    Each time the process has failed.   I suspect that M$ are having trouble with demand for those wanting Win10 upgrades.   

Andrew

« Reply #406 on: August 01, 2016, 01:50:19 pm »

I'll give that a go and report back.

It didn't do the trick BUT changing a view option in windows explorer to 'launch folder windows in a separate process' did.  :)

Andrew

« Reply #407 on: August 14, 2016, 11:06:11 am »
Now it's decided to open Edge on startup.... why? I don't use Edge, haven't used it since looking at it after first install.... so why now?

Ok, so the fix was easy enough to find (a regedit)... but why did I have to? What malfeasant MS activity decided to flip that switch?