Author Topic: Exped Downmat/Synmat 7, 9, DLX, S and UL and customer service.  (Read 1458 times)

Between us we have owned 5 of Exped's lovely mats. I bought the first, a Downmat 7 about 12 years ago and it was the style that inflated with it's own bag. I followed that with a Downmat 9 in an attempt to stay warm in January (It worked fairly well for that). The Synmat DLX has been used as a double when we were slimmer and more recently by me sharing with Nye. A short one works well for me most of the time and the Synmat Ultra Light is Clarion's delight, folding to an amazingly small and light package. They have all been successful in their way and with the chairkit have been brilliant for me with a bad back, breasfeeding baby and reflux/indegestion as I can sit up to sleep it it. I have been very happy with them all -  they are infinitely more comfortable than a thermarest, especially for those of us with big hips and stroppy backs, and they pack smaller and lighter.

The downmat 7 has had a slow leak for several years, but because we had the others, I hadn't done anything about it. Earlier this year, Clarion's UL started leaking and he had got as far as emailing them about it, but no further. At York Rally, the baffle went on my DLX and as we now had 3 out of action, we finally got around to taking it in to a dealer - Cotswold Outdoors in Covent Garden. A fortnight later, on Friday, I received an email to say I could come and collect them. Exped had replaced the 12 year old Downmat 7 and the 5 year old DLX with new ones and had repaired the Ultra light. Fantastic customer service, I'm so impressed with them, especially replacing 2 with no quibbles at all!

Brilliant products and truly excellent customer service.  :thumbsup:
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Re: Exped Downmat/Synmat 7, 9, DLX, S and UL and customer service.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 10:52:29 pm »
Between us we have owned 5 of Exped's lovely mats. I bought the first, a Downmat 7 about 12 years ago and it was the style that inflated with it's own bag. I followed that with a Downmat 9 in an attempt to stay warm in January (It worked fairly well for that). The Synmat DLX has been used as a double when we were slimmer and more recently by me sharing with Nye. A short one works well for me most of the time and the Synmat Ultra Light is Clarion's delight, folding to an amazingly small and light package. They have all been successful in their way and with the chairkit have been brilliant for me with a bad back, breasfeeding baby and reflux/indegestion as I can sit up to sleep it it. I have been very happy with them all -  they are infinitely more comfortable than a thermarest, especially for those of us with big hips and stroppy backs, and they pack smaller and lighter.

The downmat 7 has had a slow leak for several years, but because we had the others, I hadn't done anything about it. Earlier this year, Clarion's UL started leaking and he had got as far as emailing them about it, but no further. At York Rally, the baffle went on my DLX and as we now had 3 out of action, we finally got around to taking it in to a dealer - Cotswold Outdoors in Covent Garden. A fortnight later, on Friday, I received an email to say I could come and collect them. Exped had replaced the 12 year old Downmat 7 and the 5 year old DLX with new ones and had repaired the Ultra light. Fantastic customer service, I'm so impressed with them, especially replacing 2 with no quibbles at all!

Really?

Kim

• An appetite for the epic, but no real stamina
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 11:31:34 pm »
Reliability issues aside (I've yet to experience any myself), they keep you admirably warm and are comfortable enough to sleep on.  Not an awful lot of competition, there...
Watching the TV without subtitles is like riding up a hill without using the gears :)

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 10:03:57 pm »

Really?

Yes. Bearing in mind that one of the ones that had a leak was 12 years old and had the old style valve as well as having a lot of wear and the one that the baffle had gone on had been used as a double when our combined weight was 155 + kgs and has been used much more than your average mat as we camp regularly throughout every year. It had also been used for me to sleep in sitting up a lot as I have a bad back and breastfeed in the night, which puts unusual strain on the mat.

The UL which had a slow leak that was repaired had also been used quite heavily for a bit of ultra light kit and folds small enough to pack in a pocket as well as inflating to a depth that I could sleep on, which no lightweight self inflating mat could do.

My short one has had no issues and the downmat 9 that Ashaman42 bought from me has had no issues after 10 or more years (as far as I know).

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Exped mat in the future. They give comfort and warmth along with a small pack size and weight and a chairkit that works so that you can sit up to sleep. Not many other companies can manage all those. In fact, none that I know of.

J :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 02:06:58 pm »
Absolutely!  I could wax lyrical about finally finding my ideal mat in the UL Synmat.  I liked the downmats, but have an aversion to down, so I have something smaller, lighter, and more comfortable than anything else I have slept on.  Perfect for backpacking or cycle camping.

Although not something I would use personally, the chair kits are ingenious and well made. 

As for the Schnozzle, it has much improved our (already quick) set up time. :)
We are all just prisoners here of our own (mobile) device.

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 02:15:25 pm »
I forgot to add that they also have to put up with a toddler doing happy circuits of the tent, usually in shoes or wellies. Our mats don't have a coddled life!

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 09:56:08 am »
Does anyone have any idea what the post above means? I wish people would add something to the thread, rather than trying to look clever.
Bread of heaven, bread of heaven.

Polar Bear

• aka Michael
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 02:04:30 pm »
We've been baffled by six Exped Downmat 7's.   I still have two waiting for me to get round to sending them back to the distributors.

They are possibly the most comfy camping sleeping mats that I have ever had though they are a faff to inflate.

We're now on a pair of Synmat 7's and they are nearly as good.   Being smaller and lighter when packed away as well as quicker and easier to inflate makes them better touring mats. 
Professional McKenzie Friend and Paralegal.          goodem2@gmail.com     07802 709337.

Kim

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 02:12:17 pm »
They are possibly the most comfy camping sleeping mats that I have ever had though they are a faff to inflate.

With help from Anna Dapter you can inflate them with a Schnozzel (or a Wilko 12V electric pump).  Highly recommended.  :thumbsup:
Watching the TV without subtitles is like riding up a hill without using the gears :)

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 09:41:52 pm »
Does anyone have any idea what the post above means? I wish people would add something to the thread, rather than trying to look clever.

Not the faintest idea. I assumed it meant something to people who watch films or tv or something.

Kim

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 02:40:07 pm »

Not the faintest idea. I assumed it meant something to people who watch films or tv or something.

I obviously don't watch the right TV or films, and was waiting for Wowbagger to return from touring to inform us.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 03:36:42 pm »
Yup, Exped customer service is brilliant. Give their product a good old beating above what they are build for, of course they will fail one day. Send their product back and receive shiny new product back without any questions. Totally a win-win!