Author Topic: Inner tubes - recommended brands  (Read 1853 times)

Inner tubes - recommended brands
« on: August 14, 2015, 01:51:25 pm »
Mrs B & I have tried a few, sometimes as a result of emergency purchases. Deflations due to tyre penetration seem to be much the same, but cheap Airwave tubes from Chain Reaction haven't lasted long enough to be patched many times because of splits & valve seat failures. Decathlon have also gone funny around the valve seats, but have lasted better in general - but I'm not keen on the long smooth valve stems.

What have others found should be avoided, & which would they recommend? Not seeking ultra lightness, just decent road tubes for moderate use, day rides of no more than 100 miles & usually significantly less, evening rides to country pubs, usual sort of thing. She has 28mm & I have 25mm tyres, & rims for which 40mm valves are quite enough.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: Inner tubes - recommended brands
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 01:57:02 pm »
Michelin A2
Audaxing Blog follow @vorsprungbike on

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 02:00:25 pm »
I like schwalbe usually. I do not like continental as the valve cores tend to get unscrewed.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 02:02:57 pm »
Good:
Schwalbe
Raliegh

Bad:
Conti
Decathlon own

Indifferent:
Halford own label
Michelin
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Kim

• An appetite for the epic, but no real stamina
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 02:10:29 pm »
I like schwalbe usually. I do not like continental as the valve cores tend to get unscrewed.

This.  I bought a batch of Continental with the dodgy valves, which I've still to use up.

Pretty much every tube I've bought since has been Schwalbe - mainly because they seem to be the most easily available range of smaller wheel size tubes with Presta valves.  I've not had any problems with them.

I get so few punctures that cheap tubes are a false economy.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 03:07:34 pm »
Schwalbe for me as well now.  Previous favourites of mine were Vittoria and Michelin, but a few developed faults.  Vredestein seemed to use less stretchy butyl.  All these things may have changed since I bought them.

You don't have to be so fussy with standard weight* tubes.  It's the ultralights** that are particularly vulnerable to splitting and holing from abrasion.

* Around 100g for 700x18-23.  Some cheap ones may be around 125g for the same size, which I'll call heavyweights.
** Around 70g for 700x18-23.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 03:30:41 pm »
Schwalbe for me as well now.  Previous favourites of mine were Vittoria and Michelin, but a few developed faults.  Vredestein seemed to use less stretchy butyl.  All these things may have changed since I bought them.

You don't have to be so fussy with standard weight* tubes.  It's the ultralights** that are particularly vulnerable to splitting and holing from abrasion.

* Around 100g for 700x18-23.  Some cheap ones may be around 125g for the same size, which I'll call heavyweights.
** Around 70g for 700x18-23.

Adds:

Superlight latex around 60g for 700x18-28

May not  be what anyone is looking for though.

In an unplanned outcome, I do not have any butyl tubed bikes at the moment - only tubeless and latex - but don't think that's cause for n+1...

edited to add - Schwalbe tubes are reliably reliable

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 08:44:36 pm »
Wiggle Lifeline brand inner tubes seem to be cheap and cheerful quite happy with them so far and at less than £2 each  :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 12:04:09 pm »
Tend to get mine at PlanetX or CRC these days, though my folks owned a bike shop so I still have quite a few standard sized Michelin and Raleigh ones in the toolbox. Approx 10 bikes in the garage at any one time, so only tend to get through 1 or 2 tubes a year

Like others say, not really had any problems with tubes really

Have some fat 26 x 2.5" Panaracer ones that seem fine, if a little heavy, in our off road Tandem at 60PSI
Running Geax (now Vittoria?) ultralight in my SS and these too seem fine

The only ones I have bought that I did not like where Decathlon (work ok just a bit heavy) and Poundland 24" (ok but *really* heavy) - a distress purchase while out riding with kids when we hit a patch of hawthorn trimmings . . .

Picked up a few Contis cheap recently (maybe cheap cos everyone says the valves undo?), nipped the valve up with pliers before use, no issues

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 08:29:38 pm »
Some people swear by Wilko ones, although as a narrow tyre freak I have trouble finding them thin enough.

Schwalbe ones are unusually lacking in oil resistance, which isn't a problem for 99.999% of riders but is a bugger if you are riding an old SA hub gear with a total-loss lubrication system.  They just pop along the seam if any oil seeps down the spokes and gets onto the tube.  Velox rim tape doesn't help as the oil can soak through it; plastic rim tape usually forms enough of a barrier.
Never tell me the odds.

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 10:03:02 am »
I have used all sorts from latex to cheap Decathlon or Halfords.

Key factor for me is not the inner tube, but the tyre as very few tubes resist stuff that penetrates the tyre.

Again, great discussions about differences in rolling resistance and 'feel' for different tubes that might be important for Team Sky or BMC, but I find tyre choice overrides such factors.

I use whatever is in the saddle pack (currently a Halfords and a Continental) should I need to and I never bother repairing.  Valve length also more important factor too!

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 11:36:09 am »
It's pretty easy to tighten the valve core on a Continental tube. The tubes themselves are excellent.

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 03:21:26 pm »
Key factor for me is not the inner tube, but the tyre as very few tubes resist stuff that penetrates the tyre.

Again, great discussions about differences in rolling resistance and 'feel' for different tubes that might be important for Team Sky or BMC, but I find tyre choice overrides such factors.

...   Valve length also more important factor too!
All true.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 06:09:15 pm »
Ebay cheap as chips - so far so good

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 01:48:49 pm »
Which brand are best for 16" standard Brompton Tyres (37-349)? Schwalbe still?
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway