Author Topic: Schwalbe Durano (standard version, wire bead)  (Read 2014 times)

Schwalbe Durano (standard version, wire bead)
« on: May 10, 2017, 09:10:26 pm »
Waste of money.  Very loose on the rim and have an alarming tendency to pop off even if the pressure is kept under the ridiculously low maximum (for a 25mm tyre) of 110psi*.  This on a rim which will happily hold a decent Kevlar-bead racing tyre at 185psi, should you want it to.  Now in the bin.  They were reasonably fast but if they won't stay on, that's academic.

I wonder if the folding version is any better?

*the MINIMUM pressure of my 23mm Fortezzas is 115psi; 110psi isn't enough to prevent pinch punctures round here.
Never tell me the odds.

Re: Schwalbe Durano (standard version, wire bead)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 09:16:34 pm »
I have the opposite problem with my wired-on Durano's.

They are very tight to fit on my Kysyrium wheelset.

On my Fulcrum wheelset I struggle to fit them even using metal  tyre levers. (I know I shouldn't be fitting tyres with levers but it's impossible without them.)
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 09:23:48 pm »
I've ridden the Bryan Chapman and LEL on a set of folding Duranos. Not a single puncture. So in my hands they are the dogs bollocks, but YMMV  ;)

MalRees

• Hayes - centre of no known universe
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 09:24:31 pm »
Took me nearly an hour to get a 20" Durano off my Moulton last week. Several tyre levers dead. Thumbs died putting the tyre back on. Just far too tight.

Samuel D

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 10:06:28 pm »
You often talk about very high pressures. Are you not swayed by the preponderance of evidence collected by Frank Berto, Jim Papadopoulos, Jan Heine, and Josh Poertner among others that suggests suspension losses from high pressures on typical roads harm speed in addition to being uncomfortable?

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 07:57:46 am »
The point is that these tyres wouldn't even take the pressure they were supposed to.  Running them lower (two thirds of the blow-off pressure is one rule of thumb) would mean constant pinch flats.
Never tell me the odds.

Samuel D

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 08:43:11 am »
How wide are the rims? Blow-off force at any pressure is proportional to the width between the hooks. This is overlooked in the current rush to fat rims.

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 10:04:28 am »
Very loose on the rim and have an alarming tendency to pop off
They are very tight to fit
Just far too tight
Haven't people realised yet that tyres are not all the same?

Manufacturing tolerances mean that all you can say is that "this sample of $tyre is a tight/loose fit"

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 10:28:34 am »
I'm commuting on the folding 28mm version.  Seems fine, normally 75/80 psi depending on how often I bother to check.  Don't feel the need for 110psi - I've not had any pinch flats, and if I'm expecting to ride on broken surfaces I use wider tyres coz they're much nicer.

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 02:08:12 pm »
80PSI seems to be the sweet spot for the 28mm Duranos on the Red Baron.  The bike tries to rattle your feet to bits if it's any higher, but they'll stay on at 100.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 02:43:28 pm »
Took me nearly an hour to get a 20" Durano off my Moulton last week. Several tyre levers dead. Thumbs died putting the tyre back on. Just far too tight.

Hot tip! Don't try and fit a 406 tyre to a 451 rim . . .  ;D

<SNORFLE>
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

MalRees

• Hayes - centre of no known universe
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 04:45:53 pm »
Wishes that the mismatch of tyre and rim was the actual explanation. Both are 406.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 04:51:42 pm »
The problem is that smaller diameter rims need a deeper well than bigger rims to get enough slack to lift the tyre bead over the rim wall. Virtually all small rims are large rim extrusions, so the wells are rarely deep enough to make things easy. Just another reason to use thin rim tapes on small wheels. Velox is contraindicated!
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2017, 06:18:36 pm »
I don't know if the Durano Plus is any different, but I found the Durano Plus (wired bead, 622x25) went on nice and easy on my ambrosio evolution rims!

dim

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2017, 08:53:39 pm »
I've used Durano Plus on a hybrid that I've used as a daily commuter

No problems fitting them on the rims that I had and I can say that I done nearly 4000 km on shitty roads in Summer and Winter without a puncture or pinchflat.

I don't think that you can beat them as far as puncture resistance is concerded on road tyres (not comparing them to tubeless)

they also grip and roll better than Gators
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

Kim

• 2nd in the world
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2017, 08:07:37 am »
I tried folding Duranos and found the ride quality very harsh compared to Grand Prix 4 Seasons. So I put them on my wife's bike. ;D

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2017, 08:09:47 am »
How wide are the rims? Blow-off force at any pressure is proportional to the width between the hooks. This is overlooked in the current rush to fat rims.
Very narrow - 13 or 14mm internal width, meant for 20-25c tyres.
Never tell me the odds.

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2017, 08:10:40 am »
I've used Durano Plus on a hybrid that I've used as a daily commuter

No problems fitting them on the rims that I had and I can say that I done nearly 4000 km on shitty roads in Summer and Winter without a puncture or pinchflat.

I don't think that you can beat them as far as puncture resistance is concerded on road tyres (not comparing them to tubeless)

they also grip and roll better than Gators
I have a 26" Durano Plus on the front of the commuter and it's been 100% reliable.  However, there are many types of Durano.
Never tell me the odds.

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2017, 08:15:41 am »
Very loose on the rim and have an alarming tendency to pop off
They are very tight to fit
Just far too tight
Haven't people realised yet that tyres are not all the same?

Manufacturing tolerances mean that all you can say is that "this sample of $tyre is a tight/loose fit"
Really, Schwalbe should improve their manufacturing tolerances, then.  I have mixed experiences with their tyres; Marathon Pluses are great, Marathons are ok despite some quality control problems over the years (loose wires at the bead and/or broken beads), City Jets I found to be utterly terrfying on wet roads, Kojaks don't roll as well as their old Stelvios in 16", etc.
Never tell me the odds.

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2017, 11:02:09 am »
I tried folding Duranos and found the ride quality very harsh compared to Grand Prix 4 Seasons. So I put them on my wife's bike. ;D
Do you think she'll like the vibration?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897