Author Topic: Fastest PBP rider 2015  (Read 30517 times)

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
Re: Fastest PBP rider 2015
« Reply #50 on: 02 September, 2015, 07:00:34 am »
Well done Björn for going alone, that's a incredible thing to pull off and thanks for telling us your story.

I watched them all running after you at the Carhaix control on your return from Brest. You parked your bike right outside the control and strolled in looking cool and calm, bought a baguette then left to a big cheer.

Then a few minutes later they all came chasing down the slope, running and eating at the same time in a big group looking very stressed, they'd left their bikes up with the camper vans to make things quicker, but it didn't work out that way.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #51 on: 02 September, 2015, 07:08:29 am »
* round of applause *

And from here. An outstanding ride and an admirable attitude displayed throughout.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #52 on: 02 September, 2015, 08:12:27 am »
Thankyou very much Björn. Excellent writing as well as the excellent riding!

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #53 on: 02 September, 2015, 08:41:13 am »
Thanks for posting Björn, that's a great write up of an extraordinary performance.  As for being guided to the front of the queues at the controls, I think you more than earned it  :thumbsup: 

« Reply #54 on: 02 September, 2015, 09:09:20 am »
Björn thank you for sharing that. An epic effort!
The question as to how fast an unsupported rider could go and how long could they stay with the supported riders has long been asked.
You have definitively answered it!

...I liked the part about having to greet 6000 riders on the way back.

« Reply #55 on: 02 September, 2015, 09:54:47 am »
One thing I don't get, and if someone cleverer than I can explain:

From the regulations:

Whatever the time of arrival, a brevet ridden in less than 43h56 will not be homologated (this corresponds to an average speed of 28km/h).

I remember the winning time in 2011 being 44 something, so this wasn't an issue.  But looking at this year, there were a good few riders under this time (edit - first 16 riders were all below this time).

What does ACP do in this case? According to the regs, those riders will not be homologated.

The lead car Björn mentions suggests that ACP will acknowledge his ride.

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #56 on: 02 September, 2015, 09:55:31 am »
I've already asked him on the German forum if he has the report in English and is willing to post it here.

Thanks Ivo, that story made my day.

Bjorn, thank you for riding in the spirit of PBP.  Oppy would be proud that the tradition continues.

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #57 on: 02 September, 2015, 10:02:19 am »
If not then it's French beauracracy all the way as it is thz rules.

French rules only apply when it suits them. 

Otherwise they are free to do as they wish.

For Bjorn to be dropped by the group even though they agreed to wait, and then later to wait for this very same group - suggests that he has more than earned any rule flexibility.

I was especially touched by his humility in acknowledging the awesome effort of those who suffered for twice as long as he did.

A gentleman champion in the mold of Federer.

« Reply #58 on: 02 September, 2015, 10:30:09 am »
I was especially touched by his humility in acknowledging the awesome effort of those who suffered for twice as long as he did.

Yes.

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #59 on: 02 September, 2015, 10:36:44 am »
One thing I don't get, and if someone cleverer than I can explain:

From the regulations:

Whatever the time of arrival, a brevet ridden in less than 43h56 will not be homologated (this corresponds to an average speed of 28km/h).

I remember the winning time in 2011 being 44 something, so this wasn't an issue.  But looking at this year, there were a good few riders under this time (edit - first 16 riders were all below this time).

What does ACP do in this case? According to the regs, those riders will not be homologated.

The lead car Björn mentions suggests that ACP will acknowledge his ride.

I thought the control opening times/maximum speed limits only apply for the mere mortals of the 84 and the 90 hour groups?

Whatever, even my ropy schoolboy French was sufficient to understand the man on the tannoy at the Mortagne control, who told everyone that the record was broken by "un Allemand".

Another nice detail was the Alex Singer booth in the Velodrome. On Thursday morning, they had a sign saying that one of their frame builders broke the record for unsupported riders with 44 hours something. A couple of hours later, the sign was re-phrased, lacking the reference to the record...
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #60 on: 02 September, 2015, 10:44:55 am »
Great read Bjorn and thanks for taking the time to commit your ride to words :) A very special ride!

...I liked the part about having to greet 6000 riders on the way back.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #61 on: 02 September, 2015, 12:52:56 pm »
Quite extraordinary  :thumbsup:

I would like to say that I found it inspirational but I need to eat some more cake right now.

H

« Reply #62 on: 02 September, 2015, 01:01:33 pm »
Thanks Bjorn for an inspiring write-up of an amazing ride - Chapeau!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #63 on: 02 September, 2015, 01:37:51 pm »
Thank you Bjorn.  Truly remarkable effort and a wonderful account to read.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #64 on: 02 September, 2015, 11:17:16 pm »
Vielen dank Björn. Great account of a fantastic achievement.

« Reply #65 on: 03 September, 2015, 03:00:54 pm »
I rode the last PBP, and I still can't imagine this ride. An excellent and very gracious write-up - thanks for sharing!

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #66 on: 03 September, 2015, 03:55:14 pm »
I found it inspirational but I need to eat some more cake right now.

H
I'd expected beer, TBH.
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

« Reply #67 on: 03 September, 2015, 04:19:07 pm »
What happened at the presentation? Anyone coming in over 28kph should have tied for first.
I think they should have made anyone who exceeded the maximum speed, change to a track bike and keep riding around the velodrome until their average hit 28kph, the rider who went the furthest would then win.

« Reply #68 on: 03 September, 2015, 05:38:39 pm »
What happened at the presentation? Anyone coming in over 28kph should have tied for first.
I think they should have made anyone who exceeded the maximum speed change to a track bike and keep riding around the velodrome until their average hit 28kph, the rider who went the furthest would then win.

Nah, should've made them do a few laps of the BMX track on their own bikes!

« Reply #69 on: 03 September, 2015, 07:43:52 pm »
That's a good idea, they could get points for the amount of 'air' they got. They could put little wings on the fastest velomobile.

Phil W

« Reply #70 on: 03 September, 2015, 09:30:03 pm »
Anybody know Bjorns rider number?

« Reply #71 on: 03 September, 2015, 09:42:50 pm »
Anybody know Bjorns rider number?

Look at the first line here.  http://axel-koenig.com/results/pbp2015/en

I notice this site is still being updated.

Phil W

« Reply #72 on: 03 September, 2015, 09:49:34 pm »
Thanks, I was interested to see where we overlapped. We hit Loudeac at virtually the same time, except he was already on the way back :-) I was also busy queuing in canteen when chasing  group passed through. I'll have to bear that in mind if I want to spot them next time,

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #73 on: 04 September, 2015, 08:59:51 am »
Just got around to reading this English account.

Massive chapeau and huge respect for what you have done Bjorn! That was an incredible ride.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #74 on: 04 September, 2015, 05:08:25 pm »
Incredible!  Chapeau for your ride, Björn!  :thumbsup: 

And chapeau for your report: fascinating, awesome and inspirational!  :thumbsup:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...