Author Topic: Actual Riding Time + Sleep + Faffing Time = Finish Time  (Read 10477 times)

Actual Riding Time + Sleep + Faffing Time = Finish Time
« on: 24 August, 2015, 09:21:10 pm »
Hi All,
Im interested in the array of riding +sleep + Faffing Times for a Final time.  AS starter  G200 ,My Strava gave me 57-45  riding time  , I had nearly 6 hours sleep and and just under 15 hours Faffing around the controls . Total Time 78-22.  How did it go for others?

Re: Actual Riding Time + Sleep + Faffing Time = Finish Time
« Reply #1 on: 24 August, 2015, 10:05:47 pm »
53 hours riding
6.5-7 hours sleeping
8 hours 45 min doing other stuff at controls

I tended to either bounce the control fast or be organised; if light batteries immediately swapped out into a bin and changed; bottles in the helmet, brevet stamped and food / bottles filled whichever was closest. Meals eaten quickly and straight back onto the road.

simonp

« Reply #2 on: 24 August, 2015, 10:13:17 pm »
55h40 riding

4.5h sleeping.

16.5h faffing.

Chris S

« Reply #3 on: 24 August, 2015, 10:24:29 pm »
Moving: 55:22:33
Stopped: 29:59:59

To be honest, I have NO idea what we were doing in the stopped time. One of several, I'd Imagine:

Traffic Lights
Rond points.
Controles.
Eating.
Peeing.
Shitting.
Knocking one out.
Taking pictures.
Playing Ingress.
Talking to small children.
Lung swallowing.
Watching moths/bats.
Taking pictures on bridges.
Slumped on bars, crying.
Watching the sunrise.
Reviewing the route.
Changing clothes.
Putting on embrocation.
More clothes because it's foggy.
Wondering whether I should call an ambulance.
Hacking an F1 terminal that won't accept card details.

Yup. They're all valid!

« Reply #4 on: 24 August, 2015, 10:25:10 pm »
52:50 riding

About 8:00 'sleeping'

Leaving 15:25 for 'other' in a total of 76:15

Fast through the controls on the way to Brest then leisurely on the way back.

LMT

« Reply #5 on: 24 August, 2015, 10:28:58 pm »
riding time of 53:11, sleeping roughly 16 hours, balance is faffing for a final time of 79:37

« Reply #6 on: 24 August, 2015, 10:38:26 pm »
47hr 16min moving
6hrs 14min stopped (which included 1hr sleeping)

It's amazing how quickly the time stopped adds up. If I had of guessed it I would have said about 2hrs (not including the sleep).

The first rider home was stopped for 1hr 26min   ...which implies he's a good runner as well as a cyclist.

« Reply #7 on: 24 August, 2015, 10:39:23 pm »
About ten hours sleep.  An unknown amount of time faffing, though I tried to keep that to a minimum.  Total time was a fraction over 80hrs.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #8 on: 24 August, 2015, 11:00:09 pm »
Total time = 79½ hrs
Riding time = 50¼ hrs
Time in hotels = 21 hrs (but not 21 hours of sleeping by the time I'd checked into hotels, showered etc.)
Faff time at controls & on the road & lunch in cafe in Fougères = 8¼ hrs
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #9 on: 24 August, 2015, 11:39:09 pm »
45h12m moving
4h25m stopped
no sleep

stopped times - minutes:
villaines 220km - 4
fougeres 310km - 7
tinteniac 363km - 2
quedillac 389km - 11
loudeac 448km - 24
st.nicholas 493km - 4
carhaix 526km - 13
brest 614km - 54
carhaix 698km - 26
loudeac 780km - 12
illifaut 820km - 32
tinteniac 865km - 14
fougeres 919km - 22
villaines 1008km - 10
mortagne 1089km - 7
dreux 1166km - 11

« Reply #10 on: 25 August, 2015, 06:56:40 am »
89h21 total time
62h33 riding time
2h15 sleeping time
24h33 faffing/eating/resting time

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #11 on: 25 August, 2015, 06:57:55 am »
I had at least 15 hours sleep, did my laundry in the mornings and had a shower each night. I had trouble drying my laundry on Thursday, as it kept getting wet in the showers  >:(  I think that was the only down point of my PBP, I hate putting on damp clothes.

On top of the sleep time I had about 1.5 hours for breakfast, some hours for lunch and I think 1 hour at each of the controls, plus cafe visits.

Still had 2.5 hours in hand at the end and was within 30-45 mins of the cut off time for the first morning control after sleeping, relying heavily on zen and inner tranquility.

I stood in a queue once, for 8 minutes at Brest and I never queued at the velodrome for any registration stuff before the ride.

I haven't bothered to look at my GPS track, so it's a good guess as to how much time I had for lunch.

Next time....If there is one, I'll go in Z as I didn't have time for a sit down breakfast before I started.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #12 on: 25 August, 2015, 07:04:13 am »
Next time....if there is one, I'll take a washing line and some pegs and do my laundry before I go to bed.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #13 on: 25 August, 2015, 07:40:28 am »
53:54 moving

34:14 not moving

I flew as far as Carhaix, averaging over 30 kph for the first 100 Km's, and somewhat slower as the hills became more prominent. My preparation had to my great pleasure given me climbing legs to die for.  At Carhaix I got food, a shower and 5 hours sleep. The controls to that point were confusing and I kept getting lost, and spending time queueing for basic food and coffee. To Brest in the morning was a delight - my legs were on song - I let the genie out of the bottle. I don't think anybody passed me on those hills - on the way back I caught up Bairdy, who had slept rather a lot less, and chose to ride with him up the climb to the Rock, and for a lot of the day. This was a steady chatty relaxing "tour back" sort of ride, going somewhat slower, but hey, it's not a race..... We stopped between controls for meals and coffees and eventually lost each other at another control. I got through that one quickly and as I was on my own I let the genie out of the bottle again for a while, and enjoyed 'monstering' along the road, catching groups and blasting past them, especially up the hills, I think maybe three or four big groups saw my wheels before the next control. There I had another shower and another five hours sleep. Cruised on the next day, stopping for a third decent 4 hour sleep and long shower at Dreux, just before dark, so rather than arrive in Paris early in the morning I got there with two hours in hand and a smile on my face!!

I could easily have finished ten hours faster, but I'm learning to smell the roses (and at one impromptu voluntary stop I had two coffees, at another I had a free crepe and coffee, at another I had a triple expression (I'll leave that spellcheck whoopsie) and three pains au chocolate...

I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #14 on: 25 August, 2015, 07:40:47 am »
Next time....if there is one, I'll take a washing line and some pegs and do my laundry before I go to bed.

laundry  ???

I simply took a single change of clothes.

« Reply #15 on: 25 August, 2015, 07:47:57 am »
Moving: 55:22:33
Stopped: 29:59:59

To be honest, I have NO idea what we were doing in the stopped time. One of several, I'd Imagine:

Traffic Lights
Rond points.
Controles.
Eating.
Peeing.
Shitting.
Knocking one out.
Taking pictures.
Playing Ingress.
Talking to small children.
Lung swallowing.
Watching moths/bats.
Taking pictures on bridges.
Slumped on bars, crying.
Watching the sunrise.
Reviewing the route.
Changing clothes.
Putting on embrocation.
More clothes because it's foggy.
Wondering whether I should call an ambulance.
Hacking an F1 terminal that won't accept card details.

Yup. They're all valid!
You missed out shopping, scoring drugs, talking to first aiders, replacing inner tubes, having a shower, and looking for clothes I was already wearing.
Also manually changing gear, attempting to repair the disc brake,  looking for an appropriate hedge, falling in a nettle filled ditch, and having a quick snog.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #16 on: 25 August, 2015, 07:49:58 am »

laundry  ???

I simply took a single change of clothes.

But you were flying around. I was on a touring holiday and like to have a clean outfit every day.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #17 on: 25 August, 2015, 07:51:28 am »
Interesting how a number of us seem to have the same 'moving time'.

I don't record stuff like this but have had a best guess:

Total time = 72 hours (well, 71:59   :P)

Mortagne - 30 min
Villaines - 30 min
Fougeres - 30 min
Tintineac - 1 hour
Loudeac - 45 min
Carhaix - 45 mn
Brest - 8 hours (12 hours off bike for first leg)
Carhaix - 45 min
Loudeac - 45 min
Tintineac - 45 min
Fougeres - 30 mins
Villaines - 5 hours
Mortagne - 45 min
Dreux - 45 min (8.5 hours off the bike for return leg)

Total time off bike = 20.5 hours

Total riding time = 51.5 hours

H

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #18 on: 25 August, 2015, 07:59:56 am »

and having a quick snog.

:thumbsup:

I felt the need to express my gratitude to some of the road side supporters as well!

I am not even going to work out how much time I spent stopped as there as not numbers big enough to quantify it. If you were to write a guide on how not to ride PBP, my strategy would be in it. However, because I am fortunate enough to have some speed on the road, I really could annoy everything on offer and never feel the time pressure. Had Mrs. JB not been coming to the finish (meaning a sub 86 hour finish was considered anti social) and had I not had a conversation with someone at villaines that made me realise what I wanted from the ride (all the stuff I had missed out on in 2011), I was well on the way to destroying myself already as I got caught up in the whole speed thing.

Maybe I will go for a time next time - I am interested to see what I can really do if I work hard and before I get too much older.  However, I had such a blast this time, I am not sure I could motivate myself to miss out on all the arsing about eating and chatting.

Edit - I did actually look - 54 hours riding time. 33-34 hours mingling with the locals.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: 25 August, 2015, 08:01:16 am »
Interesting that with a wide range of total times, the actual riding time is in a fairly narrow band for most: between 45 and 60 hours. Full value riders [me, this time] were either pretty fresh, from plenty of sleep and food [moi] or wrecked [worryingly, most other riders on the road with me for the last few stages]

« Reply #20 on: 25 August, 2015, 08:03:40 am »
58:05 on bike
24:03 in controls
6:41 in various roadside halts

Sleep 6:30 (estimated)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #21 on: 25 August, 2015, 08:07:41 am »
Interesting that with a wide range of total times, the actual riding time is in a fairly narrow band for most: between 45 and 60 hours. Full value riders [me, this time] were either pretty fresh, from plenty of sleep and food [moi] or wrecked [worryingly, most other riders on the road with me for the last few stages]

I think that is it, as everyone says, a fast PBP is about the controls more than being super fast on the road. 

Someone like zigzag is fast on the road, without doubt, but is 'only' putting 5-10 hours into a typical rider on his moving time.  (Not meaning to sound dismissive with that 'only' - your speed on the road is amazing, but it gains you less time than your incredible stopped time!).

However, his stopped time is phenomenal and he is putting 20 hours or more into most of us there.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #22 on: 25 August, 2015, 08:33:41 am »
61:29 Total (my fastest by over 3 hours :))
52:08 Moving, sometimes fast, sometimes not so fast
09:21 Not moving including about 2:21 sleeping and 7:00 at controls and roadside stops.

Not much time spent faffing. A few minutes spent picking bag up off road and fixing it on again after seat-post rack broke. Fix made getting things in and out of bag more difficult and time consuming. No punctures. Front changer seized up half way back, but I managed to free it off with my fingers and it held out to the end.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #23 on: 25 August, 2015, 08:39:14 am »
I didn't finish but this is the data from the first two days (starting in the 84h group).

Day 1: 16h31' riding, 1h48' at controls, then a 3h35' stop at Quedillac for sleep, of which I got about an hour of actual sleep because in really I stopped due to my tired legs rather than feeling sleepy.

Day 2: 22h25' riding, 3h42' at controls followed by a 1h53' sleep stop at Loudeac.

I was taking it fairly easy on the road (particularly uphill) and trying to minimise stopped time.

« Reply #24 on: 25 August, 2015, 08:43:07 am »
Probably about 54 hours moving (back-calculated from average OTR speed), 8ish hours sleeping (or at least eyes closed), the rest of my 90 hours chatting, eating, waiting around. Not a lot of queuing, but two or three poor choices of food or coffee stops - outside controls - built up the thick end of three hours' sitting between them.