Author Topic: Bickerton  (Read 2480 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Bickerton
« on: 27 August, 2015, 09:01:31 am »
These look nice. I'm thinking of getting one for my wife, a 1607 or a 1707.

Anyone got any experience of them?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Bickerton
« Reply #1 on: 27 August, 2015, 09:16:18 am »
Looks to me like a badged/licenced Dahon.
Getting there...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 27 August, 2015, 09:24:23 am »
Looks to me like a badged/licenced Dahon.

Really?  The website says they've been building portable bikes since they invented them in 1971. Well, maybe that was then and they've changed since.

Dahon probably has a better resale value over here.

ETA: looking at your D7HG I see what you mean. Interesting...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 27 August, 2015, 10:29:39 am »
Bickerton did indeed design and build an early folding bike.  It was made out of cheese and had all the rigidity of an elastic band.  I'm interested to see the name revived.

I note the single-stay design, which is more advanced than my Vitesse.  More like the Mu.
Getting there...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 27 August, 2015, 10:33:24 am »
I've just been reading a review of a bunch of different brands. Rebadging, copying and bodging seem to abound. Forthright & entertaining:

http://www.atob.org.uk/folding-bikes/folding-bike-buyers-guide-uk/

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5 on: 27 August, 2015, 11:06:08 am »
One of the Sheds at Fort Larrington contains a Bickerton Californian, which is naught but a contemporary Dahon painted blue and with the word "Dahon" crossed out and "Bickerton" written next to it with a Magic Marker.  This came into Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.)'s possession after he'd b0rked no fewer than four of the original Chocolate Bickies, in spite of the averral by both the shop and Bickerton themselves that there was no weight limit for the frame.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 27 August, 2015, 01:27:32 pm »
The Brompton owes a fair bit to the Bickerton.  The breakthrough with the Brompton, though, was making the front wheel fold alongside the rear one while still facing forwards.  Apparently it took Andrew Ritchie ages to realise the headset allowed a 180 degree pivot.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7 on: 27 August, 2015, 02:48:29 pm »
Missus has now decided to save her pennies and buy a Brompton.

« Reply #8 on: 27 August, 2015, 02:57:26 pm »
One of the Sheds at Fort Larrington contains a Bickerton Californian, which is naught but a contemporary Dahon painted blue and with the word "Dahon" crossed out and "Bickerton" written next to it with a Magic Marker.  This came into Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.)'s possession after he'd b0rked no fewer than four of the original Chocolate Bickies, in spite of the averral by both the shop and Bickerton themselves that there was no weight limit for the frame.

To be fair to Bickerton, if they had specified a weight limit no-one of normal stature/weight would have been able to ride one.