Author Topic: My PBP (DNS) jersey / gilet  (Read 11310 times)

rob

Re: My PBP (DNS) jersey / gilet
« Reply #50 on: 18 September, 2015, 09:29:16 am »
I am personally quite superstitious about jerseys - I wouldn't wear one before or on the event. 

On the last couple of long rides I've done I wore the official jersey on the last day when I knew that, barring major issues, I would finish.

I liked the PBP jersey so much this time I almost set off in it, but changed my mind at the last minute when superstition crept in.   I wore it from Fougeres home in the end.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #51 on: 18 September, 2015, 10:05:05 am »
I left mine in Paris waiting for my return. The plan was to wear it only after I had finished. In the end I didn't finish, only getting as far as Tinteniac on the way back.

It is a nice jersey so the plan was to do a DIY 400 Tinteniac-Paris at a later date before I wear it. Then I just crossed out Paris and wrote Tinteniac in it's place and feel quite happy wearing my PBT jersey now.  ;D

I have a day or two riding in Hong Kong next week at the end of a business trip so I'll wear it then and see if it engages other cyclists in conversation.

simonp

« Reply #52 on: 18 September, 2015, 01:44:43 pm »
I love a good jersey thread.

« Reply #53 on: 18 September, 2015, 02:22:25 pm »
Nothing in The Rules to say you shouldn't. Rule #16 seems quite specific, and isn't relevant in this case.

However, I wouldn't.

"The Rules" are a bunch of self-obsessed onanists who happen to own bikes so not really a people we should be taking instruction or advice from. Wherever audaxers come in the pecking order of cyclists, we're infinitely better than this steaming pile of nonsense. One can only hope that this bunch of pillocks can quietly fade into obscurity without spouting any more of their grating silliness.

As for me, I wouldn't wear the jersey but I suggest the OP do what feels right to them. Unless you sell them, you can always change your mind later.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #54 on: 18 September, 2015, 02:26:53 pm »
I could wish that the Eiffel Tower wasn't quite so prominent.

Down in the commercial centre the Saturday before we noticed one of the Asian cohort with an 18" model of same tucked under his arm.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #55 on: 18 September, 2015, 02:29:45 pm »
Down in the commercial centre the Saturday before we noticed one of the Asian cohort with an 18" model of same tucked under his arm.

Pffff. Amateur.

Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #56 on: 18 September, 2015, 04:16:55 pm »
Wear it, you know you want to. I paid for it (most important point), rode the qaulies and was presented with it before the event so its not a finishers jersey.  Just because I  packed at 1090km doesn't matter. I simply say - yep I took part in PBP and it was a mighty fine event, why don't you have a go, mostly said to Sunday club riders.https://yacf.co.uk/forum/Smileys/classic/wink.gif    Ive not yet worn it in the hallowed circles of elite audax riders who may scorn  but life's to short to worry, if it makes you happy do it.  Gilet is great and will be worn when needed. I take the same view with the Audax UK PBP jersey, even though it maybe a collectors item as I believe only 20 or so were printed.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #57 on: 18 September, 2015, 04:22:04 pm »

Pffff. Amateur.

Bonjour le cou de M. Shermer.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #58 on: 18 September, 2015, 04:26:16 pm »
I love a good jersey thread.

DON'T PULL IT!

Brrrrrrrp!

Man of the Mountains

• Just a ridin' on my chrome horse
« Reply #59 on: 18 September, 2015, 05:00:44 pm »
I just crossed out Paris and wrote Tinteniac in it's place and feel quite happy wearing my PBT jersey now.  ;D

Genius
I now own a unique PBL jersey :-)
Question everything, believe nothing.

« Reply #60 on: 18 September, 2015, 05:05:08 pm »
They must have over-estimated how many volunteers they'd get, as they were throwing purple T shirts at bystanders from cars.

« Reply #61 on: 18 September, 2015, 06:52:46 pm »
Hmmm, interesting dilemna.   The recognition of completion is a gong and a certificate, surely?    Is the kit for PBP simply commercial?   Is it's role merely as a fundraiser to swell the coffers to support the event financially? 

The clothing is merely commemorative.  If you hadn't bought a shirt but completed, would your achievement be any the less?   Surely not.

Good points; if ACP intended a PBP jersey to be a recognition of completion then it should not have been sold on entry to the event but at completion; As PB says gongs / certificates to completers are the real recognition whilst I could view a PBP jersey as  indicating that an entry has been successful and accepted. ie the status of completing the required minimum standard has been achieved.

Similarly my Raid jerseys, I was able to purchase during the events (glad to have completed them ) but the real important, to me, accolades are the medals (and Raid Alpine x2 are very nice medals too  ;D  ) and even more my UIC uniquely numbered Chamois Alpin  certificate issued to show completion of both Raid Alpines.  :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #62 on: 18 September, 2015, 09:57:49 pm »
I take the same view with the Audax UK PBP jersey, even though it maybe a collectors item as I believe only 20 or so were printed.

Is that so ?

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #63 on: 20 September, 2015, 07:13:03 am »
I take the same view with the Audax UK PBP jersey, even though it maybe a collectors item as I believe only 20 or so were printed.

Is that so ?

Quite possible. I saw about 2 people wearing it (which in a way surprised me...)
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

rob

« Reply #64 on: 20 September, 2015, 08:54:30 am »

Is that so ?

Quite possible. I saw about 2 people wearing it (which in a way surprised me...)

A Danish rider asked me why the Brits didn't have an official jersey.   I tried to explain the independent nature of the average AUK and the independent factions within the organisation.

« Reply #65 on: 20 September, 2015, 09:26:15 am »

[/quote]

I tried to explain the independent nature of the average AUK and the independent factions within the organisation.
[/quote]

That could have kept you going for the first 1000km  ;D
Pete Crane E75 @petecrane5

Pedal Castro

« Reply #66 on: 20 September, 2015, 09:59:48 am »
A lack of UK national jersey was a shame.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #68 on: 20 September, 2015, 12:41:10 pm »

« Reply #69 on: 20 September, 2015, 01:03:40 pm »
The sizes of shirts are all wrong for Randonneurs, who are just not the same shape as the regular customers. The jerseys are mostly too tight, and potential customers have learned that. It's fine if you can go into a shop and try them on, but hopeless online, where there's the hassle of getting it changed.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #70 on: 20 September, 2015, 01:16:14 pm »
They must have over-estimated how many volunteers they'd get, as they were throwing purple T shirts at bystanders from cars.

They could have given some out to stall-holders along the way. They deserved them.

Pedal Castro

« Reply #71 on: 20 September, 2015, 04:30:35 pm »
A lack of UK national jersey was a shame.
???
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=91593.0

That's not a national jersey, nothing about it says "I'm from the UK" (apart from the small Audax UK on the sides).

To paraphrase William Morris, "Have nothing on your back that you do not know to be useful or that you believe to be beautiful". It did not signify national identity so was not useful, and it sure ain't purty.

« Reply #72 on: 20 September, 2015, 05:27:36 pm »

They could have given some out to stall-holders along the way. They deserved them.

That's what they were doing, but they got less selective as they got nearer to Paris, as they knew there wouldn't be many stalls beyond Mortagne.

« Reply #73 on: 21 September, 2015, 09:12:05 am »
I was a DNS too, but I still turned up in person before the start to claim my PBP gillet.
I have every intention of wearing it during rides in the dark, as it is extremely practical as an item of high-viz clothing.
I really couldn't care less what anyone else thinks about me wearing it  :)
(You aren't awarded it as a prize for finishing, so what's the problem?)

« Reply #74 on: 21 September, 2015, 10:15:02 am »
I was a DNS too, but I still turned up in person before the start to claim my PBP gillet.
I have every intention of wearing it during rides in the dark, as it is extremely practical as an item of high-viz clothing.
I really couldn't care less what anyone else thinks about me wearing it  :)
(You aren't awarded it as a prize for finishing, so what's the problem?)

tend to agree now  :thumbsup: done quals etc which got my entry plus `bits` I paid for (although I`ve not yet received my starters meal  ::-) ) so will wear and recount non tale if I want to
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above