Author Topic: My PBP (DNS) jersey / gilet  (Read 11315 times)

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
Re: My PBP (DNS) jersey / gilet
« Reply #25 on: 17 September, 2015, 05:32:37 pm »
Exactly.

It doesn't say "I rode PBP" on the jersey.

LMT

« Reply #26 on: 17 September, 2015, 05:35:25 pm »
But I did the ride, well 92% of it. Also, if someone finishes out of time, they may have completed the ride but they did not meet the requirement of the ride, so presumably you also believe they should not wear the kit.

Correct. The PBP jersey represents a ride of a specific distance that must be completed within a certain time. Failure of what ever reason and you should not wear the jersey.

I myself did not wear the jersey until I got back to the hotel and it was a proud moment. If I had failed then the jerseys would have been thrown away.

I think you're confusing it with the medal.  You get the medal (or will in January) for riding a specific distance within a certain time.  It will even have your time engraved on it.

The jersey - well, that's just a jersey to commemorate the event.  I wouldn't begrudge anyone wearing it who had DNF'd - as long as when asked "how was your PBP?", they are happy to own the story of their DNF and tell all the gory details.

No I'm not, the medal is the alternative for those that did not want a jersey. I've stated my reasons regarding the ride, end of.

What people do is up to them.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #27 on: 17 September, 2015, 05:39:12 pm »

I totally agree, which is why comments like below are not really helpful or acceptable.

Failure of what ever reason and you should not wear the jersey.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Man of the Mountains

• Just a ridin' on my chrome horse
« Reply #28 on: 17 September, 2015, 05:44:43 pm »
LEL 2013 - OOT - yes I wear the gilet, for various reasons I was delayed helping a friend nav and stay awake. I would probably have made it??

PBP 2015 - DNF - no I won't wear the jersey, yet. When I complete in 2019 then I'll wear the 2015 jersey because it will have been a long range qualifier :-) I can see the POV about having the story to tell but I'm a bit tired of telling it. I could have done better so that's what I'll do!
Question everything, believe nothing.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #29 on: 17 September, 2015, 05:48:56 pm »
i wouldn't want to explain reasons/excuses every time someone asked how it went, and on that basis i would not wear it (if i was dns/dnf/oot). unless perhaps if my story was exciting/inspirational/motivating etc and worth sharing time and time again.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #30 on: 17 September, 2015, 06:03:52 pm »
Marcus, you just saved my Jersey from Ebay.

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #31 on: 17 September, 2015, 06:09:16 pm »
Marcus, you just saved my Jersey from Ebay.

Good stuff.

I am personally quite superstitious about jerseys - I wouldn't wear one before or on the event. 

I used to be pretty hardline about the whole 'earning the right' to wear a jersey.  But I've mellowed and realised it really doesn't matter, and actually many of the true champions of rides like PBP are not those who manage it, but those who fail it, and they have as much right to wear a jersey as I do.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

LMT

« Reply #32 on: 17 September, 2015, 06:20:14 pm »

I totally agree, which is why comments like below are not really helpful or acceptable.

Failure of what ever reason and you should not wear the jersey.

it's my opinion, like it or lump it.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #33 on: 17 September, 2015, 07:00:30 pm »
I DNF but will wear the rather useful gilet. I also often wear a very nice gilet from LEL which I DNF.

I paid for them. They belong to me.

People who make snide comments are invited to ride with me either the LEL route from London to Moffat, or from Brussels to Paris and back again, which was my 600k PBP qualifier, then from Dieppe to St Quentin then to Fougeres then Caen. Those who decline this invitation can f**k off.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #34 on: 17 September, 2015, 10:22:25 pm »
and actually many of the true champions of rides like PBP are not those who manage it, but those who fail it, and they have as much right to wear a jersey as I do.

This ^^^^
And IMHO Veloman's 'near completion' whilst unable to process any food at all for the duration ranks well up there in the annals of audaciousness.
And I do hope his unintentionally hilarious interview with Heather at Tinteniac (?) makes it into one of ESL's finished efforts.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #35 on: 17 September, 2015, 10:32:56 pm »
I disagree. Completion trumps DNF.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #36 on: 17 September, 2015, 10:51:03 pm »
I've taken part in the last 8 PBPs and finished the last 7, but I only ever bought one ACP PBP jersey. I guess I must have felt a bit flush in 2007, not foreseeing the impending financial crash. I hardly ever wear that jersey, even though it actually looks ok, fits ok and I finished the ride, so I don't plan to buy any more commemorative jerseys.

Regarding the PBP water bottles, I used the 1987 PBP water bottle from the ride I didn't finish until it wore out, but I keep the unused water bottles from the last 7 PBPs that I finished in a display cabinet. I must admit to a further historical water bottle irregularity as I used two LEL A68 Club water bottles in the mid 90s when I had only ridden the LEL A68 route once.

Despite this I wouldn't wear a commemorative jersey if I hadn't completed the ride within the time limit.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #37 on: 17 September, 2015, 11:01:20 pm »
Don't get those bottles out of the cabinet!
It is simpler than it looks.

Martin

« Reply #38 on: 17 September, 2015, 11:26:53 pm »
I didn't even try mine on until I got on the plane back from Paris; would never have even put it on if I hadn't ridden

amazingly an organiser of an event I rode a year later asked "did you do the ride or just buy the jersey?"  twat :-\

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #39 on: 17 September, 2015, 11:57:39 pm »
I disagree. Completion trumps DNF.

There are many forms of completion.

Some forms of completion are easier than some forms of DNF (I'm citing fully supported by motorhome type completions vs totally unsupported DNFs).

I decided I'm going to keep my jersey (unless someone with a 40" chest offers me £40 for it)  as a souvenir but I won't wear it.  Shame because it's a great fit and looks good, but I will never feel like I really earned it so what's the point of wearing it if it gives me a guilt complex?

That's my last post about PBP 2015.  I consider it a disappointing failure but, overall, a wonderful adventure.

Final TIP - I suggest you wear your jersey if you feel 100% comfortable wearing it and not if you don't.  Anyone that needs to ask isn't 100% comfortable.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #40 on: 18 September, 2015, 12:00:26 am »
I have worn my 2015 PBP jersey with pride (as I finished) on the ride from Paris to Milton Keynes, on a Wednesday, Saturday Team MK and Sunday CTC ride (I like the breast pocket for my phone). It now lays in a drawer, I wear the bright gilet lots, and the bidon (as LEL 2013) is unused. Each to their own, and whatever fits!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #41 on: 18 September, 2015, 12:54:57 am »
I met a friend from the Far East in the velodrome carrying a cardboard case full of jerseys. He'd bought them for his friends back home, so they could share in the experience. I assume the organisers make a profit on them, so it's all to the good.

Conversely, Heather never wore her 1999 Jersey, and it now resides with Colin Crawford in Edinburgh, as he didn't buy one at the time.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #42 on: 18 September, 2015, 06:29:22 am »
LEE, homologation trumps Hors Delai which trumps DNF which trumps DNS which trumps not daring to dream about riding.

Easier versus harder may gain some approbation or disfavour from fellow riders but Audax is a simple pass/ fail system. Complete one minute inside time = success. One minute outside time = Hors Delai.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #43 on: 18 September, 2015, 06:47:11 am »
Final TIP - I suggest you wear your jersey if you feel 100% comfortable wearing it and not if you don't.  Anyone that needs to ask isn't 100% comfortable.

Thanks Lee. I won`t feel 100% comfortable wearing it but might use it as a baselayer thereby utilising it having paid for it (and tried to cancel it with PBP once I knew I would be DNS). TBH I wish PBP had never sent it thro` to me but I suppose they feel that as I had purchased it it was my property, they even sent frame badge too ::-) .

I`ve got a couple of  `Raid ` jerseys that I happily wear because I completed the challenge  :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #44 on: 18 September, 2015, 07:05:50 am »
Hmmm, interesting dilemna.   The recognition of completion is a gong and a certificate, surely?   Professional athletes and sportspeople will be issued specific team kit and get to keep and wear this kit regardless of eventual success.   They will train in it, do PR in it, etc., etc.   Is the kit for PBP simply commercial?   Is it's role merely as a fundraiser to swell the coffers to support the event financially? 

The clothing is merely commemorative.  If you hadn't bought a shirt but completed, would your achievement be any the less?   Surely not.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #45 on: 18 September, 2015, 07:21:02 am »
In 2011 I DNF'd the 600k qualifier after having completed the PBP entry form and paid, having ordered a jersey which I never received, even though the ACP did later very politely refuse to refund any money.  At the time I thought it fair enough - that's what the rules say and you can take out insurance against it.  I didn't want the jersey anyhow, but the fact that they sent yours on this time makes me feel a little bit narked.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #46 on: 18 September, 2015, 07:49:36 am »
My only observation is that people who did not ride LEL last time, but were part of the process such as volunteers, could purchase the jersey, and those not riding Steve's 1YTT are wearing the jersey.

Perhaps wearing the PBP jersey would be promoting the event in the same way.

As many folk will know, I don't wear commemorative jerseys whether I complete the event or not.

« Reply #47 on: 18 September, 2015, 08:12:18 am »
LEE, homologation trumps Hors Delai which trumps DNF which trumps DNS which trumps not daring to dream about riding.

You forgot one.
Where does completion on an EAPC come in your hierarchy?

IGMC

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #48 on: 18 September, 2015, 08:19:25 am »
Silly Season's warming up quite nicely.

« Reply #49 on: 18 September, 2015, 08:58:28 am »
Wear them James, they're only jerseys. Perhaps if there were a market for them someone would promote produce "PBP finishers jerseys"

I was officially OOT in 2003, finishing about 8 hours late. My 1220km actually came-up more than 12 hours prior to my actual arrivee time, thanks mainly to young local entrepreneurs. And helping the control teams at the last two controls eat their banquets and drink a fair ammmount of champagne, C'est la vie, Hiyo ni maisha, etc ...
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.