Author Topic: off & bashed knee...  (Read 1235 times)

off & bashed knee...
« on: 08 October, 2015, 08:49:26 am »
Silly off last night - by clipping a rail (at low speed) near home in dark... fell into a brick pillar & on path. 

Grazes to the knee (+ chin + various nicks in hands*) with swelling (just below & to inside of kneecap).  Initially it was like a comedy bump (as seen on heads in comics), but now (am after) is a diffuse swelling, on inside lower knee.  It's stiff to walk on, but if I'm sitting I can extend the knee to full extent forward and back, slowly with care and a bit of discomfort.  I've put some ibuprofen gel on.  Not sure I really need to see a GP/MI clinic, and am minded to just stay on the gel and 'see how it goes.  Don't think at this stage it merits an X-ray...   Sound reasonable? 

*even managed to get a bit of a nick in palm through my mitts - so glad I was wearing them.

Andy
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: off & bashed knee...
« Reply #1 on: 08 October, 2015, 10:39:01 am »
Ouch!  GWS.

Knees being complex and useful things I'd tend to get it checked-out ASAP.

Cheers
FF

« Reply #2 on: 08 October, 2015, 11:18:09 am »
Ouch!  GWS.

Knees being complex and useful things I'd tend to get it checked-out ASAP.

Cheers
FF

Thanks FF.  Yes, perhaps I'll see what happens re. swelling & discomfort over the w/e.

If when seated or standing, I press on & around the knee cap - there's no real pain; only tenderness where swollen.  Discomfort/stiffness when walking.

edit: booked  phone call with GP...

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #3 on: 09 October, 2015, 04:41:58 pm »
Definitely get it checked out.

I merely missed a bottom step, and stumbled a few months ago.  In a few weeks I'm getting knee surgery to tidy up the cartilage behind the kneecap! 

Hopefully your knee won't be as bad, but a look at by GP a good idea!

« Reply #4 on: 11 October, 2015, 12:00:17 am »
Thanks, GP said (among other things) that ice packs were 'most useful for up to 3 days post injury', so Friday I had a bag of frozen peas (two bags in rotation) on my knee most of the day.  Certainly feels better.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 11 October, 2015, 08:09:42 am »
Glad it's improving. GWS, knees are bloody when they put their minds to it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6 on: 12 October, 2015, 11:34:32 am »
Thanks.  I'm hoping because it seemed to be a 'straight' impact, rather than an over-stretch or 'hyper'extension, that there won't be any lingering problems.  Only cycled up & down road since.

« Reply #7 on: 14 October, 2015, 11:11:56 am »
It's a ~week on now. 

looking at diagrams the impact on my left knee, was probably below the patella, to the left (inside) of the patella ligament (but probably on 'next to' ligaments), on the head of the tibia.

Things I notice about the knee:

Swelling mostly gone.  No pain, bit of an ache at times, doesn't feel '100%' when I walk = slight limp.
Still slightly different in profile to my right knee, around impact site. 
I find it difficult to squat easily - so that calf presses on back of leg (which I can normally do)
Some 'clicks' if I bend and extend lower leg, but not every time.

Given my finger still has restricted movement, perhaps it's so far so good with the knee...

Just trying some quad tightening, sitting and extending leg exercises...

Probably should try a couple of miles tester ride.