Author Topic: Assos BonKa  (Read 2183 times)

Assos BonKa
« on: November 16, 2015, 10:13:34 am »
Like so.
Anyone tried these?
And if so, what are they like?
Doubtless, their name could probably support a thread of its own.....

Andrew

Re: Assos BonKa
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 10:14:56 am »
BonKas refers to the price?

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 11:05:14 am »
I have to agree with Andrew, Assos prices are beyond ridiculous now. I've been a devotee for a couple of decades, but I simply can't conscience such outlay any more, even if I can afford it. I've started revamping my wardrobe, and am looking at Isadore Apparel (though some of their colurways are not to my taste) as they are designed by the Velits brothers. Their thermo-roubaix longs are only €170.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 11:29:47 am »
I'm strugging to find argument with what either of you have said - and I've been a fan of their kit.....

Andrew

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 01:06:04 pm »
I've been a devotee for a couple of decades, but I simply can't conscience such outlay any more, even if I can afford it.

Ditto.

I've taken the line that it's not kit intended for me. It's intended for people for whom that x% difference is worth paying for. Much like some will pay top dollar for hifi cable or somesuch - I simply would not appreciate the difference at my level of needs/interest/etc.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 04:45:39 pm »
I would pay over the odds for some really good kit.  But £320 for a pair of longs??  I got my current longs, Gorebike Wear windproof ones ("Gore Bike Wear Element Windstopper SO Bib Tight") for £71.99 on clearance from Evans.

It's hard to imagine that the Assos tights are actually much better than these Gore Bikewear ones.  Maybe a little more breatheable, maybe a little longer lasting but probably not even significantly better in any real sense.  An average 2x PBP ancien like myself wouldn't even notice

And I do like the Assos stuff a lot.  The zip has busted on my Intermediate Jersey.  As I got it second hand I can't return it for repair so gonna have to sort something out myself.
Audaxing Blog follow @vorsprungbike on

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 08:25:16 pm »
So, I've invested in Decathlon's here top-end bib tights for just under 80 notes.
Their use of  asymmetric hi viz pink suggests that they've been looking at the Rapha catalogue....
I'll let you know how we get on before I elect whether or not I should invest in a second pair....

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 10:01:30 pm »
BonKas refers to the price?

;D ;D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ridiculous;

as above I also like Assos stuff, the TK437 or whatever 3/ 4 bibtights superb as is an old Fugu jacket, early winter gloves  :thumbsup: BUT  ::-) ::-)
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 04:33:07 pm »
So, I've invested in Decathlon's here top-end bib tights for just under 80 notes.
Their use of  asymmetric hi viz pink suggests that they've been looking at the Rapha catalogue....
I'll let you know how we get on before I elect whether or not I should invest in a second pair....

So the upshot of this purchase was that it didn't get very much use last winter.
In part because it was never really cold enough to warrant using them, and in part because there's something a bit weird going on with the pad.
Like someone has their hand in your pants - and not in a nice way.
I made do with Assos 3/4s and leg warmers beneath.
We'll see what this winter brings.
August!!! I'm topless and in shorts and  I'm writing about winter !!!!  ::-)

peliroja

• Mrs Woolly
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 08:07:55 pm »
Do you know about the Assos Factory Outlet? Quite decent discounts. https://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/

I got my latest pair of Assos 3/4s BNWT from ebay. The label says "R&D" and I can't find the exact model anywhere online so I wonder if it was a test pair. I couldn't complain at £54 though - full price they are £150+.

peliroja

• Mrs Woolly
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 08:13:12 pm »
There's also 3% cashback from Quidco from that factory outlet.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2016, 08:55:44 am »
Wearing the latest ASSOS gear improves cycling safety*

*You simply can't afford to fall off.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Manotea

• Just 1 sob, Vassily
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2016, 02:25:36 pm »
I wore my 851 jacket last night for an after dark outing (about 59quid on eBay many years ago). My best buy ever.

It's not quite cold enough yet.

I'm heartbroken they no longer make the 851 early winter gloves. The finest winter gloves ever made, and cheap at the price because they are the only winter gloves that ever WORKED. Official.

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2016, 04:06:59 pm »
They do - Or they did last year, when I bought some (and I wore them for the first time this season, today)
The fabric doesn't look the same (no silver dots) and It's called Clima Range Early Winter

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/assos-earlywintergloves-s7-1/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360723706&kpid=5360723706&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign=UK_PLA_Clothing&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid%7csLXLEDWi7_dc%7cpcrid%7c67090791662%7cpkw%7c%7cpmt%7c%7cprd%7c5360723706uk

I've got both sorts and I'm hard pressed to tell that there's a difference in performance between the two types.

ETA : also, been wearing one of my 851 jackets for about a week now.