Author Topic: Confessions  (Read 6594 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Confessions
« Reply #25 on: 22 November, 2015, 06:23:18 pm »
^ pretty much mine too, apart from tongue, instant mash and the parsley sauce. Also add several skip loads of chocolate biscuits and Arctic roll.

I used to really like haslet, in a sandwich, with vinegar in it.

I just looked it up - pork offal & spice & breadcrumbs. So a bit like a haggis sarnie then?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #26 on: 22 November, 2015, 06:52:07 pm »
My favourite meal was instant mash, fish fingers, peas, and parsley sauce.

I forgot proper mushy peas made out of overnight soaked marrowfat peas with the colour artificially restored with food colouring that I'm sure is now classified as a chemical weapon.

Cake was victoria sponge on a Saturday, a highlight of the weekend. Not that I needed the sugar, the standard operating procedure for my mother and her sisters on a Saturday was to get rid of all us children - which meant enough money to buy a huge supply of broken biscuits from the market (sold by the kilo) and change for the cinema matinee and K-Ora (too orangey for crows, too orangey for nature).

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #27 on: 23 November, 2015, 12:22:43 am »
Every so often I get a craving for Findus Crispy Pancakes.  Appearance notwithstanding, I'm not even pregnant.  May the LORD have mercy on my worthless soul.

I have never eaten these.
Partner had a craving for these but local Sainsbury's Could Not Supply.  :-( :'(

Move to a better location.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #28 on: 23 November, 2015, 12:25:53 am »
My diet as a child was pretty much this:

things in baked beans
things under baked beans
fish fingers
crispy pancakes
salad cream
things on top of baked beans
corned beef
potato waffles
mince
luncheon meat
frozen peas
tongue (until I knew it was actual tongue)
haslet (still don't know what this is)
joints of meat cooked into carbonised indistinguishability
sausage rolls
instant mash
parsley sauce (out of a packet, it was my job to cook this while my mother yelled KEEP STIRRING at me)

I think that's everything I ate until I went to university. I'll say nothing bad about it, I may have eaten in the poshest restaurants in the world, but they can't beat a crispy pancake, and they don't come close to the Jesus Sandwich.

Oi I will not hear anything bad said about corned beef, fish fingers and especially potato waffles (waffly versatile)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #29 on: 23 November, 2015, 12:26:57 am »
Fray bentos tinned pie.

ian

« Reply #30 on: 23 November, 2015, 10:16:22 am »
Oh my, I forgot those, a pie in a tin. Sheer genius. On of the very reasons I was looking forward to adulthood was that I would, as an official card-carrying grown up, be able to have an entire large Frey Bentos pie to myself and no one could stop me. No more sharing. My dad, who can't eat food unless it's been cooked for a week and is served at the temperature of magma, would invest great efforts to ensure the pastry top was as crispy as ever, usually by burning it. An oven only had the one setting in our house. Personally, I liked the combination of crispy top and then the soggy bit that lay like a quilt over my pie filling. There was a period during the eighties when my mum wouldn't buy them because they were from Argentina and there was some ongoing fracas. I actually went to the library and discovered that Fray Bentos was Uruguayan just to restore my pie fix. Turns out my mother didn't believe in Uruguay as either a place or a concept. Fortunately my dad confirmed they did have an international football team and therefore must exist. There's nothing my father can't demonstrate via the medium of football team or not.

Being an adult turned out to be a lot more disappointing. Pies make you fat and there are bills.

Pretty much everything back then came in a can or from the frozen food aisle. We didn't do fruit and veg beyond the humble potato and by and large that came from the freezer aisle or had been extensively freeze dried by Martians. Add potato croquettes to the list.

In some future age, when Homo technologus are picking through the my fossils in the midden of the late twentieth century and trying to understand what made us ticked, they'll be able to date me by comparing the ratio of Findus to Birdseye in my bones.

« Reply #31 on: 23 November, 2015, 11:52:15 am »
Cans of bacon grill.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

ian

« Reply #32 on: 23 November, 2015, 11:59:47 am »
Someone just had to go too far.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #33 on: 23 November, 2015, 12:10:56 pm »
Every so often I get a craving for Findus Crispy Pancakes.  Appearance notwithstanding, I'm not even pregnant.  May the LORD have mercy on my worthless soul.

Partner had a craving for these but local Sainsbury's Could Not Supply.  :-( :'(

Too much hassle; can't be *rsed.
Will have to send the Man to the Stow to forage if he CBA.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #34 on: 23 November, 2015, 12:41:09 pm »
Oh God beans with sausages in them. I can't believe the amount of culinary abuse my parents put me through because I didn't know any better.
You know what's worse? Heinz tinned macaroni cheese.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #35 on: 23 November, 2015, 12:51:09 pm »
EG is right about the tinned macaroni cheese. Alphabetti spaghetti, on the other hand, was the food of the gods. Toddler gods, at any rate.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #36 on: 23 November, 2015, 02:01:09 pm »
This probably belongs in the Food Rant Thread but Ian started it by eulogising Fray Bentos pies.

Before all this freeze-dried Tomorrow's World MRE rubbish Official Army Food came in tins.  Army tinned BACON was a sight to behold, two parts lovely BACONy goodness to one part Lard, which had to be levered out of the can with a tyre iron.  You then had to heat it for six hours to melt the Lard before the BACON actually started to cook, and when it finally did, you discovered that it was made from worn-out lorry tyres.  This is why it took us six years to win WW2.

It was the wrong diameter to stuff down the end of a howitzer for firing at Jewish or Muslim enemies, which was a pity as it was far more suited to this than forming part of breakfast.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #37 on: 23 November, 2015, 03:27:51 pm »
EG is right about the tinned macaroni cheese. Alphabetti spaghetti, on the other hand, was the food of the gods. Toddler gods, at any rate.
Also Noodle Doodles which should be renamed Nomnomnoodle Deliciousdoodles.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #38 on: 23 November, 2015, 03:35:08 pm »
Tinned spaghetti in tomato sauce was a thing to be treated in much the same way as other very repugnant things, but the addition of small bits of minced Something made it into Spaghetti Bolognese and just about edible.  IIRC the pasta was thinner for the latter and so bore less resemblance to worms.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #39 on: 23 November, 2015, 03:43:56 pm »
Talking of the Alphabettietti Spaghettietti reminds me of Martha: http://pbskids.org/martha/

ian

« Reply #40 on: 23 November, 2015, 06:53:22 pm »
Any kind of pasta, even tinned, wasn't allowed in our house on the grounds that it was foreign and thus suspect. No macaroni cheese, no tinned spaghetti. That was all too exotic for the East Midlands at the time (it took until about 2003 for pizza and kebab to arrive, in the British tradition from the same takeaway, also combining fried chicken, burgers, and fish and chips). The exotic food section in Fine Fare or the Coop basically consisted of a few boxes of Vesta curry and Pot Noodles. The most exotic thing I ate as a child, which somehow limboed under my mother's exotic food prohibitions, was savoury rice. Presumably because it came in a packet it eluded her radar like some kind of stealth food. Plus it was probably more e-number than rice back then.

red marley

« Reply #41 on: 23 November, 2015, 07:09:22 pm »
I'd forgotten about Haslet. I loved it, and it was probably the last meaty thing I ate before going vegetarian in 1981, and almost the only thing I missed after giving up meat.

If we're doing the noshtalgia thing (see what I did there?) what about puddings? For us in the 1970s it was some variety of tinned fruit (usually peach) with either top-of-the-milk or tinned evaporated milk. For a special treat it would be tinned peaches or sliced bananas in custard. I assume that must have been itself some form of 1940s noshtalgia from my parents (thankfully, powdered egg didn't make it into the 1970s).

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #42 on: 23 November, 2015, 07:33:56 pm »
Oh God beans with sausages in them. I can't believe the amount of culinary abuse my parents put me through because I didn't know any better.

Never had that. What I did have was tinned bolognaise sauce (only the once). That was like dog food.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #43 on: 23 November, 2015, 07:34:52 pm »
We never really did puddings other than the Saturday victoria sponge extravagance, generally once you'd finished chewing your way through one course of my mother's cooking (to this day she thinks a cooking a steak well-done takes 45 minutes in the pan, at which point my father will put in the oven for another fifteen minutes to make sure it's hot) you're not willing to volunteer for round two. I remember Angel Delight mostly because we didn't have an electric whisk which meant I was pressed into service for whisking duties. By the time it was ready, I wasn't. The exception was trifle at Christmas. That was more ceremony than food. Out came the giant bowl, more garden pond that glassware, and with no expense spared, the bottle of QC sherry, or occasionally Harvey's Bristol Cream. An entire bottle would go in, with the little sponge fingers, tins of fruit, Rowntree's jelly, and be left to set for about a week before the layering construction quantities of custard and whipped cream on top. And gloriously, I'd get to snow an entire tub of hundreds and thousands on it. By this point, levering the trifle into the fridge was a job for two adults. As a child, I could have fallen in and been lost. We'd be eating that trifle come Easter. It was a great opportunity as a child to get drunk, the combination of sherry trifle, my granddad sneaking me nips of whisky and ginger beer, my grandma doing the same with her Mackensen's milk stout, let's just say I slept well on Christmas evening. Which, in retrospect, may have been my parent's plan all along. It was perfectly OK to drug your children in the 70s and 80s.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #44 on: 23 November, 2015, 08:44:36 pm »
I bloody love Angel Delight, but only the butterscotch flavour. Angel Delight, with sliced bananas in it, and some Carnation milk is  pudding fit for the goddesses.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #45 on: 23 November, 2015, 09:30:16 pm »
Butterscotch Angel Delight is nectar indeed. For some reason the other flavours don't work so well, even the chocolate.
Banana custard, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm! That was gorgeous stuff.
Evaporated milk I've never been keen on though.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #46 on: 24 November, 2015, 02:33:26 pm »

Too much hassle; can't be *rsed.
Will have to send the Man to the Stow to forage if he CBA.

Emergency crispy pancake delivery....when the craving hits...

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #47 on: 24 November, 2015, 02:34:54 pm »

Never had that, sounds wrong.

Now tinned ravioli, notheing like real ravioli but lush.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #48 on: 24 November, 2015, 02:36:50 pm »
Personally, I liked the combination of crispy top and then the soggy bit that lay like a quilt over my pie filling.

Isn't suppose to be like that ???

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #49 on: 24 November, 2015, 02:38:20 pm »
I'd forgotten about Haslet. I loved it, and it was probably the last meaty thing I ate before going vegetarian in 1981, and almost the only thing I missed after giving up meat.

If we're doing the noshtalgia thing (see what I did there?) what about puddings? For us in the 1970s it was some variety of tinned fruit (usually peach) with either top-of-the-milk or tinned evaporated milk. For a special treat it would be tinned peaches or sliced bananas in custard. I assume that must have been itself some form of 1940s noshtalgia from my parents (thankfully, powdered egg didn't make it into the 1970s).

Italians did it too.  Tinned fruit cocktail as well.