Author Topic: Converting a threaded forked bike to unthreaded/AHead  (Read 4683 times)

Re: Converting a threaded forked bike to unthreaded/AHead
« Reply #25 on: 02 December, 2015, 02:52:28 pm »
28.6 steerer - 30mm crown. Or do you mean axle to crown dimension?
Well, I bought a fork off ebay that is disc compatible but not specifically MTB. The bit where the headset sits looks too narrow for the headset required.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #26 on: 04 December, 2015, 04:30:28 pm »
A quick look seems to tell me that the only damage is to the derailleur and the rear mudguard. I've ordered a new mech and a couple of chains to stitch together (it needs 120 links). I'll see what I have in the parts bin to change the 'guard.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #27 on: 04 December, 2015, 06:18:54 pm »
28.6 steerer - 30mm crown. Or do you mean axle to crown dimension?
Well, I bought a fork off ebay that is disc compatible but not specifically MTB. The bit where the headset sits looks too narrow for the headset required.

Where the steerer meets the fork crown the tube should be 30mm diameter for a 11/8" steerer. The crown race on budget headsets usually has a plastic 'seal' which covers the bottom of the bearing cup. A pic of the original setup and the new fork should suffice...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #28 on: 04 December, 2015, 06:31:00 pm »
I fort oid emaled yow sum piccies...

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #29 on: 04 December, 2015, 10:08:04 pm »
You did. I hadn't checked my email before I posted...

...emailed you back. it'll fit. No worries
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.