Author Topic: Schwalbe SPICER tyres  (Read 5818 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Schwalbe SPICER tyres
« on: November 27, 2015, 11:36:34 am »
Yep Schwalbe spicer

https://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=L&ai=CqrNoCjlYVqnZMsbubs7XptgFlrml_AWmmv60rwGo4LuORAgEEAIgyZiiCygDYLu-roPQCsgBB6kCATLhiM9MuT6qBCdP0FWy3CB0Vq9DVdtpT2eF_rFw7qa_0XkyZukqHQ7ANx4tgjXxqtGABZBOwAUFoAYmgAe6zOUCkAcBqAemvhvYBwHgErfI17Tg2anVVg&sig=AOD64_3dYcClaqER-wTgaVn8NuTI4v4olg&ctype=5&clui=11&q=&ved=0ahUKEwiliJLjurDJAhWGOBoKHe0KASYQvhcIKg&adurl=http://www.nextdaytyres.co.uk/details.aspx/SCHWALBE-SPICER--700/1833/3791

found this on the CTC forum

'' Re: New touring tyre tests – good early showing by Schwalbe
Unread postby bretonbikes » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:05 pm

I'm a big fan of Schwalbe not least because they offer proper touring slicks - but their 'Spicer' is a stupidly cheap slick suitable for touring and is now the standard tyre on all our hire bikes. Every September we run a group trip into mountains - the last one Provence and the Ventoux, and this year to the Auvergne/Cevennes. In both trips I had 13 bikes, all fully loaded with camping gear and the combined trips covered over 16,000m of climbing, 1400 kms distance (so 18,000 kms total) and speeds up to 50 mph. Not one puncture in either trip, no sidewall problems (some roads were rough)...

That is what you want in a touring tyre;-) Add the fact that they seemed to roll faster downhill than the Schwalbe Marathons fitted to my own bike and you can see why I love them.

Was looking at Schwalbe Marathon Greenguard, as I have always used HS308, the HS368 but then I thought ''why do I need tread on a bike tyre?'  But The Vittoria Voyager Hypers are quite expensive at £22 each +p+p (bike 24), Then found a mini review on these ''Spicers'' HS442, with a level 3 kevlar belt, For £27 for 2 post free, in 700 x 30 flavour. Will fit when they arrive, and then show some pics, and let you know what they're like. Supposed to roll quite well.....we'll see.

Re: Tyres, Schwalbe SPICER
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 12:02:34 pm »
Your link is broken.

I tried to find the article, found one on grip and tread. The writer makes the mistake of thinking tyre pressure on the road depends on the load (rather than the inflation pressure of the tyre).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• An appetite for the epic, but no real stamina
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 12:23:34 pm »
A little siping on a touring tyre makes sense for the inevitable off-roading IME[1].  Even if that's just getting across mud on campsites.

If you know exactly what conditions you're going to encounter, then by all means use a faster-rolling slick, but if you don't (surely the case with most touring) then an all-rounder is desirable if you don't want to walk.

[1] We had Kojaks on barakta's trike for a while before she went electric.  Faster rolling, and excellent grip on tarmac, but she'd regularly get stuck and need a push on loose surfaces that weren't a problem with the Marathons.
Watching the TV without subtitles is like riding up a hill without using the gears :)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 01:43:14 pm »
won't be touring on these, just every day, club riding, audax stuff, but at this price they are worth a punt.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 10:39:40 am »

as fitted to front wheel, 'open pro'

as fitted to rear 'Chrina'

on the road.

These are 700 x 30 flavour. I ordered from the above site about 3pm on Friday, and got a confirmation e-mail immediately, with the note, ''as you've opted for free postage you are at the mercy of Royal Mail''.  BUT 8.10am sat morning, ''ding dong!''   amazing!

Anyway I fitted them to my wheels on Jess. The front is an open pro, and the rear is a new chrina rim. The front was marginally easier to fit, but not much, and anyway both tyres fitted with thumbs alone! no levers needed, but with v. cold 'numb' thumbs. They are labelled as 30mm and do look bigger than the HS 368 28mm marathons when unpackaged, but when fitted are only a tad bigger.I didn't bother to weigh them, 'm not that sad yet.A slight rubbing of mudguards initially, but this was due to the pronounced raised center moulding line, and the inherent crud that builds up  using tyres with tread..  The rear required only a little jigglng to get in. Jess has vertical dropouts, but the mudguard bolt shown has too large a head on it. Anyway it went in without deflation. Jess is an Audax bike, ie clearance for 28mm + guards,  and these prove no problem.
So out on the road, a very windy day. I've used marathon HS308 and HS£368 for years, so this is the first time I have tried  an alternative. 2 things became apparent after a very short time, ie under 5km.
a)  They roll so much easier than the marathons, or at least appear to. i can't quantify it, but they do
b) They are more comfy. Being 6'2" and a fraction over 14 stone, I always pump fronts up to 85psi ish and rears to 95 ish. These tyre must have a bigger air volume , as the usual thump into  road holes is now more of a 'thwap' There is also a bit more give in the tyre, a bit like you've lost about 10psi in your tyre,(ie its more comfy but you stop and pump it up to where it should be).

The third photo above is of the front tyre, after riding thro a wet patch, then a dry one, you can see how much of the tread is actually in contact with the road. It's off center a tad, as the road had a strong camber on it.  So far only tavelled 60km, so see how long it takes to get a visit, riding the flint strewn skoggy lanes of N.kent.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 12:08:17 pm »
Looks like similar tread and profile to the Marathon Supreme, or Panaracer Ribmo. They work fine for me, fairly fast on-road, also OK on gravel paths etc. But can get slippery in mud.

Seems that Spicer is a fair bit heavier than the Marathon Supreme, and not quite as puncture proof. But the Supreme costs 3 times as much.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 01:09:10 pm »

42,6mm

28,6mm

These measurements are for my existing Marathon kevlar HS368 (now discontinued) NOT a new tyre, but not worn much either. 28mm

45,4mm

27.9mm

this is the Spicer 30mm
that is surprising,  they feel  bigger than that,  both tyres fitted to Chrina rims.

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 01:39:42 pm »
The token tread and use case for these looks very similar to the Vittoria Voyager Hyper. Overall looks like a good budget comfortable road tyre. As far as I can tell they're wire bead only, 50 TPI and 660g in the 30mm version, so a little on the heavy side. If you like the idea of them and want to spend more, the Vittorias are probably more supple (120 TPI), a lot lighter (350g in 32mm size), but more expensive, of course.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Re: Schwalbe SPICER tyres
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 02:49:20 pm »
now topped 1000km on these  :thumbsup:

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 01:21:08 pm »

Front

Rear.

Now topped 2000km  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I have pulled things out of the tyre, that by rights should, by all the laws of physics and sod, SHOULD have caused a visitation.............. O:-)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2016, 02:29:25 pm »
topped 3000 km now.

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 10:49:04 am »
Blodwyn Pig, that's an awesome review! I just signed up (my cousing -a true passionate- told me to) and I knew I would've found some pro user, but I didn't expect such a terrific analysis.

Thanks for sharing it (and congrats)!

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 05:20:50 pm »
Blodwyn Pig, that's an awesome review! I just signed up (my cousing -a true passionate- told me to) and I knew I would've found some pro user, but I didn't expect such a terrific analysis.

Thanks for sharing it (and congrats)!

thanks, I've stopped using the schwalbes for the time being, as I've now gone all 650b on Olive, but will transfer the spicers to Jess, my winter / pub bike, for the ...er...winter / pub rides.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 05:37:50 pm »

Front

rear

Now topped 4000km each

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2017, 05:38:53 pm »
milage log on these (don't forget to double it as there are 2 tyres)  will be updated regularly
IE it
distance travelled so far       4474      km             

visitations       front   0                 rear  0

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2017, 12:21:45 pm »
They come in cream  :D

(not a good idea if you have rim brakes and ride in the wet, but perfect for a "look at that hipster" bike)/
Never tell me the odds.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2017, 02:08:29 pm »
They come in cream  :D

(not a good idea if you have rim brakes and ride in the wet, but perfect for a "look at that hipster" bike)/

Didn't know that they came in cream.  BTW I removed the reflective tape , and they now look much nicer, and much  less 'Shwalbe like'

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2017, 01:35:36 pm »
milage log on these (don't forget to double it as there are 2 tyres)  will be updated regularly
IE it
distance travelled so far       4081      km             

visitations       front   0                 rear  0
That's impressive.

How easy on & off are they? And on what rims?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2017, 02:58:45 pm »
Easy peasy onny offy on chrinas, open pro, and now h + son TB 14s,  :thumbsup:

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2017, 11:22:35 pm »
Thanks. Good news. I have Open Pros.  ;)
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2017, 08:55:06 pm »

Oh dear, it was all going so well. at 4471 km, the rear ( that incidently was the front for 50% of the milage) has succumbed. have been noticing a bit of squishiness, that I thought was tramlining, but whilst riding today, i was getting a thump! thump!, looked down, and there was a balloon on either side as it went round. Not massive but enough. Got home and took it off, and found the above. Presumably the tyre has delaminated, and was spreading under load.Still 4471 km and NO VISITATIONS, at £13 each IIRC, got to be good value. more now tho.

Now then panel!
 a) Do I go for a pair of the same in 30mm,
b) do I go for the same in 35mm
c) or do i go for marathon supreme in 35mm.   

I've got so used to not having any visits, I'd hate to ruin it. I've put an old marathon kevlar on for now, but I Know I'm gonna have a visit.

dim

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2017, 09:34:09 pm »

Oh dear, it was all going so well. at 4471 km, the rear ( that incidently was the front for 50% of the milage) has succumbed. have been noticing a bit of squishiness, that I thought was tramlining, but whilst riding today, i was getting a thump! thump!, looked down, and there was a balloon on either side as it went round. Not massive but enough. Got home and took it off, and found the above. Presumably the tyre has delaminated, and was spreading under load.Still 4471 km and NO VISITATIONS, at £13 each IIRC, got to be good value. more now tho.

Now then panel!
 a) Do I go for a pair of the same in 30mm,
b) do I go for the same in 35mm
c) or do i go for marathon supreme in 35mm.   

I've got so used to not having any visits, I'd hate to ruin it. I've put an old marathon kevlar on for now, but I Know I'm gonna have a visit.

get a pair of Continental Granfd Prix GP 4000 Sii in 28's .... thats what I would do

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2017, 10:37:02 pm »
ok, I've gone for the 35mm supremes, at £29 at pop from CRC,free pp, twice the price of the spicers in 35mm, but 400g + lighter o/a. we'll see what these are like, I feel another review comin' on.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2017, 10:39:34 pm »

rear

Now topped 4000km each

actually at 4000km, you can see a center parting starting to show, don't think  a comb over will sort that one out. Hadn't noticed it till now.