Author Topic: Foffa Bikes?  (Read 4607 times)

Foffa Bikes?
« on: January 12, 2016, 10:01:24 am »
I was looking at getting a new commuting bike and I came across Foffa bikes Urban premium bike

Has anybody bought one, ridden one or seen one in person. I looked online the reviews are positive   

<link removed by Mod because Foffa can be searched for and the domain name posted was not Foffa>

Re: Foffa Bikes?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 11:30:49 am »
Some of the discussion on the internet has been less than positive as you can see over in London Fixed Gear and Shouty Swearing - https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/160861/

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 04:06:26 pm »
Gaspipe bikes you can 'customise' by having it a different colour.  See also...
Getting there...

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 11:53:56 pm »
I have a bit of inside knowledge on them and they have a history of being badly put together, verging on dangerous at times.  Without a doubt they had poor quality control, no idea what it's like these days mind.

I did once hire a bike from them for a few days in London.  It came with a child's seat which wobbled fore and aft on the seat post and the bottom bracket creaked and groaned.  It did rather spoil what should have a been more of a fun cycling experience.

Add to that the owner is a certified grade A twat.
Up the hills and round the bends

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 12:04:32 pm »
I just came across a photo of the bike I hired from foffa:

Check out the alignment of the rear brake block!

Samuel D

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 05:37:28 pm »
The front brake pad looks a bit high, too. And the cable ends are weirdly long, especially for a poser bike.

By the way, how did you make the photo clickable to get to the large version? Mine don’t do that.

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 06:36:53 pm »
The front brake pad looks a bit high, too. And the cable ends are weirdly long, especially for a poser bike.

yes, good spot!  All indicative of foffa's quality control (or lack thereof).  The brakes look like cheap pressed metal ones too.

By the way, how did you make the photo clickable to get to the large version? Mine don’t do that.

Basically wrap the IMG in an URL tag.  Using curly brackets instead of square brackets to demonstrate:

{url=http://cl.ly/f67b/foffa-0002.jpg}{img}http://cl.ly/f67b/foffa-0002.jpg{/img}{/url}

Samuel D

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 09:26:12 pm »
Thankee kindly.

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 01:20:03 pm »
I have a bit of inside knowledge on them and they have a history of being badly put together, verging on dangerous at times.  Without a doubt they had poor quality control, no idea what it's like these days mind.

I did once hire a bike from them for a few days in London.  It came with a child's seat which wobbled fore and aft on the seat post and the bottom bracket creaked and groaned.  It did rather spoil what should have a been more of a fun cycling experience.

Add to that the owner is a certified grade A twat.
I saw 'em at a bike show a few years ago. Lifted a frame & was surprised by the weight. Looked at the components & the price & wondered who'd buy 'em except hipsters who bought purely on appearance. The bloke overseeing them seemed like a generic salesman.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 07:03:32 pm »
Just strayed across this thread - rather entertaining.

I know someone who had one - don't know how it's getting on.

Checked out the foffa web site - the "about us" bit was kinda interesting - features a list of company achievements/landmarks,

including this:

>>2010 – August – Foffa takes frame customisation to the next level with the introduction of its range of designer stickers.

Has my irony detector fried?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 07:32:01 pm »
Just strayed across this thread - rather entertaining.

I know someone who had one - don't know how it's getting on.

Checked out the foffa web site - the "about us" bit was kinda interesting - features a list of company achievements/landmarks,

including this:

>>2010 – August – Foffa takes frame customisation to the next level with the introduction of its range of designer stickers.

Has my irony detector fried?

Ah Dani got a bit of a reputation over on LFGSS.  Firstly selling bikes horizontal drop out bikes as track bikes....the bikes were expensive, badly assembled with very cheap parts.  He even admitted to price fixing in an article.

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 07:37:37 pm »
And they used to employ a mechanic who was a stoner and had a penchant for allowing bikes out of the workshop in an unsafe state - pedals not tightened that sort of thing.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2016, 07:47:54 pm »
And they used to employ a mechanic who was a stoner and had a penchant for allowing bikes out of the workshop in an unsafe state - pedals not tightened that sort of thing.

Was that the one that threatened someone on LGFSS and gave her a few late night abusive and threaten phone phone calls

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2016, 08:26:40 pm »
That mechanic was by all accounts a nice chap, and even a good mechanic when not stoned.

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2017, 09:04:40 pm »

When younger and more prone to bad decisions I bought a bike from Halfords.

The stem bolts weren't tight, and I rode home along a ship canal wall - separated from a 20 foot drop into freezing water by a low rail.

Thankfully I fell to the right, not the left.