Author Topic: Ridgeback World Panorama Delux #2 ''OLIVE''  (Read 12740 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Re: Ridgeback World Panorama Delux #2 ''OLIVE''
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2016, 04:41:01 pm »
yes, it is the tyres that make it faster. These GB Hetre tyres, weight 410 grms, and are made like top quality racing tyres appntly, and are known to roll well. They have the low rolling resistance /smooth rolling of say a 23mm but with the comfort and air volume  of a 42mm, so speed and comfort, and not being shaken to bits, and with the option to explore 'dry' tracks.  The wheels are only cheap ones.  Steering seems the same.

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2016, 05:14:17 pm »
Hooray for good tyres! Say all of us, apart from your wallet!
An ungovernable laughter, a joyous agitation which makes the summer stretching before you seem like an unrolling canvas on which you might draw those first rude pure strokes that are free. (Capote)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2016, 06:40:17 pm »
Hooray for good tyres! Say all of us, apart from your wallet!

you can't take it with you ! ;)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2016, 06:38:13 pm »
Well after some comments on another  thread, re the black stem etc, I decided to dunk them in a bowl of Caustic Soda.

WP_20160721_10_56_49_Pro by mark tilley, on Flickr

this is the stem , top cap and spacers after a dip,  interestingly the transfers remained in situ even tho the paint / anodizing went.  then I did....

WP_20160721_10_48_03_Pro by mark tilley, on Flickr

the wheel skewers, and...
WP_20160721_11_01_59_Pro by mark tilley, on Flickr

WP_20160721_11_10_29_Pro by mark tilley, on Flickr

the seat post clamp.

WP_20160721_11_12_32_Pro by mark tilley, on Flickr

and here she is sliightly spruced up 'avec les bling'   

Next will be the cranks, rings, 'possibly' the brake calipers, and probably my fingers.
(its a funny pic, looks all squashed with the seat pointing down? blinking camera phone

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2016, 08:10:01 pm »
That seems to have worked far better than I'd ever have imagined. I'm sure a chemist will be along soon with an explanation of why the transfers were unaffected.
An ungovernable laughter, a joyous agitation which makes the summer stretching before you seem like an unrolling canvas on which you might draw those first rude pure strokes that are free. (Capote)

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2016, 10:31:18 pm »
highly impressed didn't think it was possible to  have 3 different sets of wheels on the one bike  ,
did you build the 650 wheels yourself what tires are they, the bike looks awesome thanks for the photos.

anto. 

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2016, 11:07:36 pm »
highly impressed didn't think it was possible to  have 3 different sets of wheels on the one bike  ,
did you build the 650 wheels yourself what tires are they, the bike looks awesome thanks for the photos.

anto.

only possible with  disc brakes btw. Wheels were sh off ebay with 2.2 tyres and tubes and skewers, £41, sold tyres for £28,, bought these tyres.. Grand Bois hetres 650b x 42mms of swish plumpness. fitted sh rotors, fettled mudguard gaps , et voila. Unique 650b  disk braked tourer

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2016, 11:12:18 pm »
cracking job i've been drooling over the grand bios  this few years  (im  broke) excellent tires by all accounts.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2016, 11:31:13 pm »
cracking job i've been drooling over the grand bios  this few years  (im  broke) excellent tires by all accounts.

mee too.  After I bought the Bob Jackson, I regretted not getting it built as a 650b compatible frame,but without any experience of 650b,  it would have been a bit of a gamble. A disc frame allows you to try it,then  if you don't like it, sell the stuff on and put the bike back to std.  win - wn really,  other than  borrowing one.  I've been reading up on lots of websites / blogs about these tyres for prob 2 1/2 years/.  Its nice to be different, (  I  wear odd socks you know, on purpose, have done for years.)

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2016, 11:50:28 pm »
i like the odd socks thing it's called style  ;D

same as your bike.

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2016, 06:17:45 pm »

just posted this thread to my friends on facebook bet there going to be highly impressed.

Mmmmm. luvvin it!

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2016, 05:01:56 pm »
Blodwyn did the 2" tyres fit Olive?  :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2016, 09:51:12 pm »
Blodwyn did the 2" tyres fit Olive?  :thumbsup:

WP_20160702_09_12_42_Pro by mark tilley, on Flickr

this is the 2.2" shoehorned into the forks. Not enough room with the mudguard, but it did fit JUST, but the rear was too tight at the chainstay/bb , The 42mm are great. Like to try the WTB HORIZON   road plus tyres ..650b x 47, not in the country yet tho, plus I  have these Hetres to wear out first.

PS got the wheels , tyres, tubes and skewers on t' ebay, .....£41 pair. :o :o ;D

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2016, 04:53:26 pm »
Ahh thanks I was looking at the wheels on ebay and was getting silly ideas  ;D

Eddington Number 75

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2016, 12:44:26 pm »

OOoo! you thinking of going all 650b :o   Be careful what you buy, look at the photos carefully, as A LOT of 27.5 / 650b mtb wheels have an oversize hollow front axle!!, you'll ned to find a pair with std qr axles.  Also try to stick with shimano for the rear hub. I've just ordered some 650b slime tubes from Rutland cycles ...40% off, as I know the Hetres are not going to be as visitation proof as marathons.

BTW your ideas are NOT silly, thats just what I thought. If you ever get near n.kent, your welcome to try my wheels on your DELUXE. :thumbsup:

« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2016, 04:19:24 pm »

OOoo! you thinking of going all 650b :o   Be careful what you buy, look at the photos carefully, as A LOT of 27.5 / 650b mtb wheels have an oversize hollow front axle!!, you'll ned to find a pair with std qr axles.  Also try to stick with shimano for the rear hub. I've just ordered some 650b slime tubes from Rutland cycles ...40% off, as I know the Hetres are not going to be as visitation proof as marathons.

BTW your ideas are NOT silly, thats just what I thought. If you ever get near n.kent, your welcome to try my wheels on your DELUXE. :thumbsup:
Thanks might take you up on that  ;D :thumbsup: 8)
Eddington Number 75

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2016, 07:35:40 pm »
WP_20161025_17_06_55_Pro by mark tilley, on Flickr

'Olive 'is now back in 700c trim, and the 650b love affair is over. I do too much ruff stuff to have pretty tyres. The 700c rear wheel developed a flat  spot back in feb, after hitting a massive pothole, and new wheels are on order. 32 front, 36 rear. getting fed up of the thump! thump! thump! I shall  keep the  old wheels for 'ruff stuff weekends away' . Nearly 4000km  on the bike now,  and I like it.

Samuel D

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2016, 08:50:53 pm »
Did you reduce the size of your rear sprockets while you were at it?

I like the look of your bar tape, whatever it is. Suits the machine.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2016, 09:07:09 pm »
rear sprockets are 13-27 IIRC ;)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2017, 09:50:53 pm »
WP_20170401_10_20_16_Pro by mark tilley, on Flickr

WP_20170527_10_37_45_Pro by mark tilley, on Flickr

WP_20170603_10_49_12_Pro by mark tilley, on Flickr

photobucket has decided to be greedy, and removed all the pics, and demanded MONEY, So I've reposted all (most) of the pics via FLICKR. and added a couple of extra ones. it really is a very comfy bike, but not a fast bike. But I have never been fast in my life! ::-)

« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2017, 07:12:28 pm »
Hi, I'm setting up something similar with 650 tyres and want to run mudguards but options for 650 guards are limited.....how did you get on with yours in 650 mode, presumably they're sized for 700 radius but they don't look too gappy on the pictures, did you have any problems?

(Not sure if I'm inventing this as an issue!)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2017, 09:14:07 pm »
Hi, I'm setting up something similar with 650 tyres and want to run mudguards but options for 650 guards are limited.....how did you get on with yours in 650 mode, presumably they're sized for 700 radius but they don't look too gappy on the pictures, did you have any problems?

(Not sure if I'm inventing this as an issue!)

Hi there, yes they are std SKS 700c mudguards ( longboards 45mm iirc)  just had to pull them in a tad. I ran 42mm tyres and there was not a lot of difference.  The tyres I used 'upthread'  were definately fast,were not designed for the flint strewn roads of dear old blighty, the tyres I wanted weren't available, the WTB road plus.Could be more robust.

So back to your question, the guards are 700c on Olive,with all tyres, 700 x 28, 30, 35, and 650b x 42.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2019, 03:45:39 pm »
IMG_0601 by mark tilley, on Flickr

well,  Olive is now just over 3 years old, and has covered just under 16,000km.  So as a birthday treat it got some beauty parlour treatment,  namely some white seat tube banding,  and head tube.   Quite easily done really,  more of a retro look , I feel.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2019, 06:19:54 pm »
I do like that seat post! Very pretty :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2019, 07:11:12 am »
Recently, the cassette/ chain combo was due for replacement. Olive was wearing Shimano 12-27 10 sp with KMC 9 sp chain. I was reading of the loveliness of 7 sp, especially in 13-28 flavour. So I bought one. Fitted it the other day. A 4.5mm spacer is required, but didn't have one, so I used a 2.4mm? Shimano spacer a then whittled down an Amber Campag 3.mm? To approx 2.0mm. Fitted fine then fitted  a new 9 sp chain, and adjusted the rear Campag Veloce 9 sp rear mech. Works lovely , this lot, it does. The steps in the gearing are spot on, as quite often I found myself shifting 2/3 gears at a time anyway. The most excellent advantage, is that I have actually gained a gear! . Beacause of the 4.5mm spacer on the inside at the rear, I can now use my 48/28, ie max crossover, as the top sprocket on the cassette is now where the second sprocket was on 10 sp. This I find most excellent , as I can stay in 48 ring a lot longer, and the 13 t small, is most useable, don't remember using the 12 t before.