Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 145061 times)

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #1900 on: May 22, 2020, 10:18:39 am »
Mrs Ham come up all excited - "just seen on Facebook, they're selling the sandals you use cheap - here's the website" Sure enough , €20 instead of €120. Excitement excitement. And they have my size in stock, most sizes apparently. And a pair of hiking shoes for Mrs Ham. That's exciting. Payment.......No PayPal? Ah well, Card......payment fail

Feckity Feckity feck feck

Anyone watching carefully will have noticed a few red flags. 

Oh well. Card stopped within minutes.

The scam website is eccoeustore.com

Didn't someone else fall for exactly the same site and document it here? Maybe I imagined it.

The true mistake is sandals, of course, I hate feet. And toes, oh god, toes. I can't look at bare feet without feeling icky. I fear summer and the season of the feet. Winter is fine, those feet and their ten malformed terrors are securely ensconced in boots and sensible footwear. Then the sun comes out and the horror is unleashed.

Any time the boots come off the horror is unleashed. And the dog rolls on the socks.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

« Reply #1901 on: May 22, 2020, 10:20:13 am »
Didn't someone else fall for exactly the same site and document it here? Maybe I imagined it.

Might well have done. Given the way I rode roughshod over everything I know, I wasn't about to remember a simple direct warning, was I?

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #1902 on: May 22, 2020, 10:21:59 am »

Might well have done. Given the way I rode roughshod over everything I know, I wasn't about to remember a simple direct warning, was I?

I was wondering if it was you and you've in fact lost your mind.

If you put your credit card details here between the lines

------------------

------------------

we will keep them secure for you.
!nataS pihsroW

« Reply #1903 on: May 22, 2020, 10:53:03 am »

I was wondering if it was you and you've in fact lost your mind.

I'm sorry, are you questioning the validity of my season ticket to this thread?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1904 on: May 22, 2020, 01:40:22 pm »

In .NL the most payment cards issued use either vpay or maestro, meaning they can't be used for online payments. They also have no buyer protection when used in bricks and mortar stores.

To get round the fact they don't work online, there is a payment system called iDeal, which is basically a wrapper for a simple bank transfer.

A family member of a friend the other day placed an order for something on a website, paid the €50 with iDeal, and then slowly over the course of a few days, realised that they had been scammed. They called the police, who recorded it as a crime. They then contacted their bank and told them, expecting the bank to sort it out. The bank then told them in no certain terms "Not our problem, goodbye".

The same family had been telling me that maestro/vpay/iDeal is much better than using a creditcard, or even a UK style debit card which works online. Hard not to say I told you so...

That said, I placed an order for some Hydroponics nutrient recently, paid with paypal. Then got notified it was out of stock, and got a credit invoice. I phoned them asking about the refund. They said they would, then I haven't heard from them. I have opened a dispute with paypal. I am now waiting to see what paypal say about it. If paypal don't, then it also went to my credit card, so I'll talk to the bank then.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #1905 on: May 22, 2020, 03:00:23 pm »
I've literally spent years looking for the V5C for my car after noting its absence from the Desk Drawer Of Important Documents.

Been digging through boxes of old paperwork, behind furniture, tearing the place apart, anywhere it might be.

Today I found it.

In the Desk Drawer Of Important Documents.

In an envelope!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1906 on: May 22, 2020, 03:44:25 pm »
I've literally spent years looking for the V5C for my car after noting its absence from the Desk Drawer Of Important Documents.

Been digging through boxes of old paperwork, behind furniture, tearing the place apart, anywhere it might be.

Today I found it.

In the Desk Drawer Of Important Documents.

In an envelope!

I have a Desk Drawer of Important Documents.  In my study. It's very useful, in so much that,  if I am looking for an Important Document, I know it definitely won't be in there, so that cuts down the number of places I need to look.
If only the same applied to the Kitchen Drawer of Horror, where anything shall be stuffed.
Quote from: Kim
And remember that friends who organise things on Facebook aren't proper friends anyway.

« Reply #1907 on: May 22, 2020, 08:37:19 pm »
In an attempt to increase the speed of my fathers ageing iMac I persuaded him to buy an SSD.  What he ordered appears to be a hybrid.  I had this in my external caddy to clone his existing drive across, caught the cable & sent it hurtling to the floor.  It now appears to be an ex drive.   Disk Utility says it's OK , but I can't write anything to it  :facepalm:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #1908 on: May 23, 2020, 06:36:12 am »
Would post this in the rant thread but have to admit it's kind of my fault...

Just noticed a charge on my credit card for a £95 annual subscription to dropbox.

Hang on one cotton-pickin' minute, didn't you feckers email me just a couple of weeks ago to say you were closing my account?

<checks>

Oh, that account, not this one...  :facepalm:

Have grinked dropbox customer services (despite them trying to hide the link, I managed to find it). Let's see how reasonable they're feeling... have recently had success in demanding a refund on an unwanted autorenewal.

Trouble is I received two emails close together with the same subject line, and I only opened one of them - which was the one relating to the account they were closing. Didn't occur to me that the other email might relate to a different account. I didn't even know I had two dropbox accounts.

However, when I logged in, I saw a notification that my credit card details had expired - and yet they've charged me anyway? That doesn't sound right. They shouldn't be able to do that, surely?

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #1909 on: May 24, 2020, 04:46:05 pm »
Have grinked dropbox customer services (despite them trying to hide the link, I managed to find it). Let's see how reasonable they're feeling... have recently had success in demanding a refund on an unwanted autorenewal.

Follow up: they replied promptly and issued the refund, no questions asked. Actually pretty impressed with the customer service.

(Makes note to check through bank statements for other recurring payments that might be due soon to avoid future divvery...)

« Reply #1910 on: May 24, 2020, 08:52:57 pm »
Stay Alert!  Especially when picking your back teeth with a Swiss Army Knife.  Hint: using the steel tweezers instead of the plastic toothpick is an uncomfortable experience  :facepalm:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #1911 on: Yesterday at 04:04:36 pm »
Rounded the bleed port screw on my rear brake lever.  >:(  :facepalm:

So very glad I avoided doing the same to the front brake - doubly so because that was in urgent need of attention. At least the rear brake will be OK for now. Just need to order a replacement and then work out how to get the duff screw out...