Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 448235 times)

ian

Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #3050 on: 11 March, 2022, 09:01:42 pm »
I'm down with that. I've had some good jackfruit curries in Indonesia and the Philippines (though in the latter case my brain caught fire).

Es Teler was what I was thinking of (I had forgotten the avocado), they do some weird stuff out there. Cendol is odd too. Chewy drinks for the, erm, win.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3051 on: 11 March, 2022, 09:10:44 pm »
I like jackfruit, but sell it to me as good vegetarian food, not fake meat, same with tempeh, great stuff, but its not chicken

Exactly!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3052 on: 11 March, 2022, 10:30:22 pm »
You know that thing where the milk is on the turn and curdles as soon as you add it to your coffee? Unfortunately, I didn't notice it this morning until after I'd taken a mouthful...

Cheese-flavoured coffee. Yum.  :sick: :sick: :sick:

That's because you're doing it wrong - or so northern Scandinavian types would have it.  :demon:

https://coffeeaffection.com/cheese-in-coffee/

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3053 on: 11 March, 2022, 11:50:18 pm »
I dislike the various meat substitutes that Ms Beardy the younger eats; I’ll eat meat or I won’t. However, I’m not at all keen on any of the vegan meals I’ve ever eaten out in her company, there’s no real texture and the flavours just don’t work for me. I do eat the food she prepares (or when we’re vegan restauranting) but I’ve yet to actually enjoy any of it.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3054 on: 12 March, 2022, 12:18:00 am »
You know that thing where the milk is on the turn and curdles as soon as you add it to your coffee? Unfortunately, I didn't notice it this morning until after I'd taken a mouthful...

Cheese-flavoured coffee. Yum.  :sick: :sick: :sick:

That's because you're doing it wrong - or so northern Scandinavian types would have it.  :demon:

https://coffeeaffection.com/cheese-in-coffee/

That has done nothing to dispel the notion that the Finns are A Bit Strange.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3055 on: 12 March, 2022, 12:33:38 am »
*Humans* are a bit strange...

Quote from: Becky Chambers
Roveg couldn’t suss out the sliver of tension that had entered the gathering, but he didn’t like it. Moreover, the way this round robin was going, the next question was going to focus on where he was headed, and that, he didn’t want. He swooped in, reaching for lighter fare. ‘You know, on the subject of Humans, there’s something I’ve long wanted to ask someone about.’ He paused in thought. ‘Cheese. Is that a real thing?’
(click to show/hide)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3056 on: 12 March, 2022, 01:27:42 am »
Those names… Ouloo and Tupo sound a bit, well, Finnish :D

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3057 on: 12 March, 2022, 12:36:28 pm »
Put bags in tea-mugs, boiled water, wet the tea, started timer.

Timer beeped, got milk out of fridge, went over to mugs, pulled out bags, put milk back in fridge.

Back to mugs... duh: didn't put any milk in.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3058 on: 12 March, 2022, 01:38:43 pm »

Timer beeped, got milk out of fridge, went over to mugs, pulled out bags, put milk back in fridge.

At least you didn’t “tidy” the washing up liquid into the fridge, like my wife did  ::-)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3059 on: 12 March, 2022, 02:55:01 pm »

At least you didn’t “tidy” the washing up liquid into the fridge, like my wife did  ::-)

That's for the next phase.

« Reply #3060 on: 23 March, 2022, 02:17:59 pm »
Firstly for forgetting that I have an app on my phone that lets me into my router without a password because face recognition (i wanted to check the WiFi password).  Secondly, having uneccessarily reset the router because I couldn't remember the password, for forgetting the default password to get back in is "admin"  ::-) (ETA - no,it isn’t  :-\ ETAM - but it is “vodafone” I eventually discovered)

Fortunately I only use it as a modem and all the devices (bar 1 Garmin, the reason for wanting to check the password in the first place) connect via a Deco mesh, that being connected by ethernet to the router.

« Reply #3061 on: 29 March, 2022, 05:46:57 pm »
I've been a cyclist for many decades, and have owned my Chorus equipped 'best' bike for 12 years.

I've often complained to myself that whenever I need to remove the front wheel I have to slacken off the adjuster on the front brake so that the tyre passes between the brake blocks.

Today I discovered that Campagnolo brake levers have a secret button which slackens off the brake cable to enable you to remove a wheel easily.  :facepalm:
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3062 on: 29 March, 2022, 05:50:56 pm »
I look forward to the day that Brompton discover such a feature...

« Reply #3063 on: 29 March, 2022, 07:25:17 pm »
I've been a cyclist for many decades, and have owned my Chorus equipped 'best' bike for 12 years.

I've often complained to myself that whenever I need to remove the front wheel I have to slacken off the adjuster on the front brake so that the tyre passes between the brake blocks.

Today I discovered that Campagnolo brake levers have a secret button which slackens off the brake cable to enable you to remove a wheel easily.  :facepalm:

Yep, just like Shimano have a small lever on the caliper to accomplish the same thing.  Just remember to reverse the operation before riding….

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3064 on: 29 March, 2022, 08:15:37 pm »

Yep, just like Shimano have a small lever on the caliper to accomplish the same thing.  Just remember to reverse the operation before riding….

Yoiu've done it as well I assume :facepalm:
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #3065 on: 29 March, 2022, 08:27:10 pm »
On both group sets  ::-)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3066 on: 01 April, 2022, 11:22:22 pm »

This is a Lipo charge controller circuit I designed and built myself. I'm rather pleased with it. It works really well.

Except... today I discovered a small design flaw. On one side of the board there is a 2.54mm pin header. On the other side of the board there is a JST connector. The polarity of which each is the opposite of each other. When I designed it, I even labelled the pins.

Notice, the labels on the one I haven't assembled yet...

Turns out with the JST in place, there is no label visible for the 2.54mm pin header...

Guess which idiot plugged a lipo in the wrong way round while holding the board?

Guess who now has a blister/burn on her thumb that is the exact size of and shape of the under voltage protection chip...

I think on the next revision of the board I'm gonna label on both sides of the board...

I'm also learning lots of things I didn't realise I use my thumb for...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3067 on: 01 April, 2022, 11:25:00 pm »
Notice, the labels on the one I haven't assembled yet...

Turns out with the JST in place, there is no label visible for the 2.54mm pin header...

This is the PCB design equivalent of not threading the cable through the cover / strain relief before making the connections.  Or emptying the u-bend into the sink you just removed it from.  We've all done it, and when the memory of the last time fades, will probably do it again.

ElyDave

« Reply #3068 on: 02 April, 2022, 07:10:41 am »
Need to remember that when I go out to ye shedde for a turbo trainer session, I still need to wear my cycling shoes, not my wellies as I did yesterday

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3069 on: 02 April, 2022, 09:53:54 am »
Rewrapping one side of the bars so as to shift some badly-positioned gel underlay, I discovered that the top layer was adhesive on both sides and that the trouble came from the gel pad underneath it.  While I removed this, I stuck the top layer by one end onto the frame of the mitre saw behind me.  Having repositioned the bottom layer, I turned round to find the horribly sticky top bit lying on the floor in a pile of sawdust.

I really ought to sweep the workshop floor at least once a year.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3070 on: 02 April, 2022, 05:50:44 pm »
“Well,” said Mr Larrington, “at least I shan’t need the TwatNav on the way home from exotic Colchester this arvo!”  Before sailing gaily past the exit off the A12 for the M25 and having to grind through the roundabouts and traffic lights of suburbia.

Bah!

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3071 on: 02 April, 2022, 06:46:43 pm »
The A12 betwixt the M25 and Hackney is a horrid road and I feel your pain. That said, the A12 betwixt Colchester and the M25 is also a horrid road, albeit without the added traffic light and roundabout pain.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3072 on: 02 April, 2022, 06:58:55 pm »
The A12 is less horrid once you get west of the Redbridge roundabout but to get to Larrington Towers requires baling at Gaaaants 'ill and taking the A1400 to Charlie Brown’s roundabout instead.  Both Mr Google and the TwatNav reckoned the sensible route was A406-M11-M25-A12 even if it’s longer.

« Reply #3073 on: 06 April, 2022, 09:05:49 pm »
Last week I bought some Superglue.  When I unpacked the shopping I couldn’t find it.
I’ve just found it. In the fridge…. Between the Gruyère & the Comte… :facepalm:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ElyDave

« Reply #3074 on: 06 April, 2022, 09:45:03 pm »
Good place to keep it, stays fresher that way