Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 448839 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #3950 on: 06 September, 2023, 08:02:32 am »
Note to self: it is no good storing the locations of those places as links to Google Maps if, when you get close to them, you are unable to connect your fondleslab to teh Intarwebs.  And no, I'm not going to use my phone as a hotspot because GiffGaff.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #3951 on: 06 September, 2023, 08:02:57 am »
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Trudged down to Brizzle to pick a new laptop (don't get me started on -effing pointless- bean counter driven hardware refreshes) and am sitting there trying to get the festering coprolith that is the Wondoze 10 UI to look something like Win XP and as part of this exercise in despair failing miserably to find the "use small icons" option for the task bar, which I *know* used to be there.  Eventually give up and ask collegue, who points at the "use small buttons" option and looks at me pityingly.

<mutter>
They're not effing buttons.  Buttons have borders, bezels, drop shadows and "move" up and down when you click them. Those bloody things are icons.
</mutter>

I have to Google everything in Windoze (and indeed MacOS when on tech support duty) now. It's infuckingfuriating.

Why can't things be named consistently and in logical findable places.

UI has gone to shit even more than usual in recent years. Lots of Mastodon threads of accessibility bods talking about how flummoxed elderly parents (with and without dementia/cognitive impairment) find it.
What is doubly infuriating is that Windows USED to be a beacon of design and inclusivity. The research into the window colour palette alone was brilliant.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3952 on: 06 September, 2023, 12:35:49 pm »
Meanwhile OSX is slowly turning into a sort of grey IOSified version of its former self.  I expect it's only a matter of time before it gets unified with IOS, and the only way to perform basic computing tasks like moving files around will be via the command line.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3953 on: 06 September, 2023, 07:39:44 pm »
Note to self: it is no good storing the locations of those places as links to Google Maps if, when you get close to them, you are unable to connect your fondleslab to teh Intarwebs.  And no, I'm not going to use my phone as a hotspot because GiffGaff.
Download the Maps app, download the map for being offline and save the location in Maps? (When back online, obv)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3954 on: 07 September, 2023, 01:45:44 am »
Download the Maps app, download the map for being offline and save the location in Maps? (When back online, obv)

Or write them down on a piece of paper  ;D

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3955 on: 07 September, 2023, 07:36:58 am »

What time is it Where am I, Eccles?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3956 on: 07 September, 2023, 07:51:10 am »

What time is it Where am I, Eccles?

Hold on a second!  I got it writted down on a piece of paper…

https://youtu.be/ctM_Rvgjfpo

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3957 on: 07 September, 2023, 09:24:57 am »
 ;D ;D ;D
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3958 on: 08 September, 2023, 03:37:08 pm »
I need new cleats for my new shoes. Go onto the 'bay, search, select some Shimano-branded ones. Buy.

Two days later, wonder why they haven't turned up. Royal mail is very quick to here.

Go back and look again. I've only bought them from somewhere in bloody China, haven't I?

Could have added them to my wiggle order if I had brain switched on. I blame the heat.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3959 on: 08 September, 2023, 07:55:27 pm »
Driving through Colchester and trying to follow a set of directions I had been given, I got lost, took a wrong exit off of a roundabout and ended up in a bus lane.  Penalty charge notice arrived this morning.  £70 reduced to £35 if paid promptly.  Welcome to England’s oldest city!  Total divery on my part, nobody else to blame, the signs were big enough in the evidential photo they sent with the letter giving me the good news.  Not sure how I could possibly have missed them.

« Reply #3960 on: 11 September, 2023, 07:40:15 am »
Early morning camping befuddlement. I just poured water for tea into the Trangia burner instead of the kettle .
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3961 on: 11 September, 2023, 08:42:03 am »
Driving through Colchester and trying to follow a set of directions I had been given, I got lost, took a wrong exit off of a roundabout and ended up in a bus lane.  Penalty charge notice arrived this morning.  £70 reduced to £35 if paid promptly.  Welcome to England’s oldest city!  Total divery on my part, nobody else to blame, the signs were big enough in the evidential photo they sent with the letter giving me the good news.  Not sure how I could possibly have missed them.

I once found myself driving in a kerbed-off contraflow bus lane the wrong way. Managed to get out before the Law noticed. <need emoticon for sweating brow>

'Twas in Metz, m'lud, and that fair city I know not well.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3962 on: 13 September, 2023, 07:25:30 pm »
It may have been a mistake to visit the barber's and have myself shorn the day before coming to Iceland, I now have a nice new warm hat. Down to about 5C ambient tomorrow.

Feck, its expensive here, like Norway on steroids
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #3963 on: 14 September, 2023, 12:37:37 pm »
Note to self. After draining the pasta into the sink, do not almost immediately reach for the fork that you earlier discarded in said sink. Ouch!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3964 on: 14 September, 2023, 05:05:42 pm »
I expect it's only a matter of time before it gets unified with IOS

I think this has explicitly been the plan for some time - it's already possible to run iOS apps on newer MacBooks.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #3965 on: 14 September, 2023, 05:10:53 pm »
Went for a run at lunchtime. Intention was to do a lap of Victoria Park, which makes a nice 8km loop.

At the far end of the park, I switched from the path through the park to the path along the canal, which runs alongside the park.

After a while, I was starting to wonder why I hadn't got back to the Olympic Park yet. Also realised that the buildings on the other side of the canal didn't look very familiar.

Turns out I had followed the wrong bit of canal. The park I was running alongside had turned from Victoria Park into Mile End Park without me noticing, and by the time I realised, I was down at the far end of it.

By the time I got back to the office, my 8km route had turned into a 12km route. And my current fitness level and the unseasonal hot conditions make that not a good thing.

Never mind. At least we have decent showers in the office.

Of course, it was only when I stepped out of the shower that I discovered my towel wasn't in my kit bag...

ian

« Reply #3966 on: 14 September, 2023, 07:00:29 pm »

I think this has explicitly been the plan for some time - it's already possible to run iOS apps on newer MacBooks.

To be fair, iOS is also starting to look more like MacOS - now has a dock, etc. I personally like it, I use an iPad and Macbook side-by-side, which is either standalone, or additional desktop space.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3967 on: 14 September, 2023, 07:26:08 pm »
Went for a run at lunchtime. Intention was to do a lap of Victoria Park, which makes a nice 8km loop.

At the far end of the park, I switched from the path through the park to the path along the canal, which runs alongside the park.

After a while, I was starting to wonder why I hadn't got back to the Olympic Park yet. Also realised that the buildings on the other side of the canal didn't look very familiar.

Turns out I had followed the wrong bit of canal. The park I was running alongside had turned from Victoria Park into Mile End Park without me noticing, and by the time I realised, I was down at the far end of it.

By the time I got back to the office, my 8km route had turned into a 12km route. And my current fitness level and the unseasonal hot conditions make that not a good thing.

Never mind. At least we have decent showers in the office.

Of course, it was only when I stepped out of the shower that I discovered my towel wasn't in my kit bag...
Sounds like you broke the first rule of HHGTTG.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3968 on: 14 September, 2023, 07:47:50 pm »

To be fair, iOS is also starting to look more like MacOS - now has a dock, etc. I personally like it, I use an iPad and Macbook side-by-side, which is either standalone, or additional desktop space.

It's all good, up until the point where you can no longer get proper desktop applications (or websites), or when the UI changes break the almost magic ability of IOS to make sense to non-technical users.

ian

« Reply #3969 on: 14 September, 2023, 07:54:53 pm »
Given the power of an iPad is rapidly converging with that of a desktop, I don't think that much of a problem, it just comes down to preferred ergonomics and screen space.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3970 on: 14 September, 2023, 08:02:09 pm »
TBH, I think the real rot is going to come from Windows running Android apps, which I can't imagine not being a usability shitshow.

citoyen

Re: The &quot;I'm Such a Fecking Div&quot; Thread
« Reply #3971 on: 14 September, 2023, 09:26:46 pm »
Given the power of an iPad is rapidly converging with that of a desktop, I don't think that much of a problem, it just comes down to preferred ergonomics and screen space.

My fear is that online businesses will stop developing fully functioning web presences and instead force us to use dumbed down fisher price apps on all platforms.

But that will probably happen even without the convergence. Sigh.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #3972 on: 14 September, 2023, 09:39:00 pm »
Instead of having to develop and maintain their own in-house apps, and having to have customers install Yet Another App, perhaps they could develop a Universal App to Rule then All?

There could be an entire Web of compatible apps which plug into it....

« Reply #3973 on: 14 September, 2023, 10:15:49 pm »
After the recent Silverdale camping trip I thought I'd better belatedly air my tent out.   I put the inner on a clothes rack & put it out on the balcony earlier. 

I've just heard the rain outside.....  :facepalm:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3974 on: 19 September, 2023, 09:03:15 am »
Fed up with 3-minute power cuts that scrub my espresso machine's settings, I bought an el cheapo SLA battery and put it in one of our old UPSes. Set it all up - it fits nicely in behind the machine - and turned it on.  No smoke, jolly good.  Turned on coffee machine: UPS goes eek and turns on a red light.

Well natch, dumbo.  UPS is 350W max and machine draws 1850. :facepalm:

Looks like our TV (253W) is about to acquire a UPS.