Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 448882 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #4200 on: 21 January, 2024, 02:53:46 pm »
For the love of God, will someone tell me where I put the car key down when I got home on Tuesday evening?

And while we’re at it, where are my other pair of glasses (the ones that don’t have a broken nose piece)?

Your glasses are next to the car keys

HTH

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4201 on: 21 January, 2024, 03:29:05 pm »
USB longs?
Someone needs to invent Type C longs to avoid this problem.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4202 on: 21 January, 2024, 03:46:57 pm »
For the love of God, will someone tell me where I put the car key down when I got home on Tuesday evening?

And while we’re at it, where are my other pair of glasses (the ones that don’t have a broken nose piece)?

Your glasses are next to the car keys

HTH

You’re probably right although I the glasses several days before I lost the car key.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #4203 on: 21 January, 2024, 07:08:52 pm »

This is where Goggles4u (with 75% discount) or selectspecs come into their own. With pairs of prescription glasses at around £5 you increase the number of pairs, training yourself and your family to accept the style, in an (it has to be said, vain) attempt to get the probability of finding a pair at any given time to approximate 1.0.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4204 on: 21 January, 2024, 09:57:00 pm »
Indeed, I’d already independently come to the realisation that I should consider glasses as consumables and not spend lots of money on fancy varifocals.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #4205 on: 22 January, 2024, 08:33:12 pm »
One benefit of a -7 prescription is that it's hard to misplace one's glasses. The smack as you walk into the wall is a good reminder of your myopic ineptitude.

Of course, when you inadvertently put the glasses on when you've got contact lenses in, the result is terrifying, you can see beyond space and time and into the 11th dimension.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #4206 on: 24 January, 2024, 07:58:39 pm »
Two of these steps were executed perfectly....
  • Place dinner plate in oven.
  • Switch top oven/grill to oven.
  • Set temperature of top oven to the point the light just comes on, a.k.a just enough take the chill off.

Can you see the flaw?  :facepalm:
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #4207 on: 28 January, 2024, 02:40:02 pm »
Last week we had lovely snow. I went for a walk on the headland. Thigh deep down one slope. Couldn't slide down it, so I settled for rolling. About 10ft down and I realised that was a seriously bad idea, world was spinning madly. Stopped and laid on snow for a bit.

Yup, I've retriggered my migraine problem again. Only one nasty bought so far (had to lie in dark room all yesterday afternoon).

Hopefully this will gradually go as long as I'm careful.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #4208 on: 28 January, 2024, 05:55:45 pm »
Bugger! Vertigo/migraines are rubbish, hope you can keep yours from escalating again and back to behaving.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4209 on: 28 January, 2024, 07:35:40 pm »
Made an off-by-one error in a config file and accidentally deleted all our off-site backups.  It'll take about 3 days to rebuild.

If everyone could refrain from nuking Birmingham until the end of the week, that would be helpful, thanks.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4210 on: 28 January, 2024, 07:56:06 pm »

If everyone could refrain from nuking Birmingham until the end of the week, that would be helpful, thanks.

Oh. Damn.

*Looks at Sheffield*
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #4211 on: 28 January, 2024, 11:13:17 pm »
Made an off-by-one error in a config file and accidentally deleted all our off-site backups.  It'll take about 3 days to rebuild.

Would anyone notice if they didn’t ? I mean other than you of course.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #4212 on: 02 February, 2024, 10:17:10 am »
I should know by now not to take to the cyclepaths in Livingston without careful advanced planning.

« Reply #4213 on: 02 February, 2024, 02:20:42 pm »
The lack of signal on the oscilloscope was due to the signal lead being plugged into the other oscilloscope.  :facepalm:
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4214 on: 02 February, 2024, 02:52:20 pm »
<splort!>

POTD there ^^^^.

Anyway: I came home the other day and MrsT says "your tights are inside out".
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4215 on: 04 February, 2024, 04:11:02 pm »
Just put a keto-snack in my pocket while carrying things up the stairs, forgetting that these jeans have a hole that I keep failing to fix.  So now I can confirm that ferret-legging a Mini Babybel is unpleasantly cold.

« Reply #4216 on: 04 February, 2024, 05:01:11 pm »
Around Christmas time I moved the Home Assistant controller onto a VM on my home server, rather than being a Pi 4. There was some odd instances of not being able to connect to it, usually from our mobiles, that I couldn't quite put my finger on.
And sometimes the mobiles wouldn't hop on to the home wifi, but sit on mobile data complaining about a bad password. I didn't think these were related.

Anyway, I started looking at the living room access point (a Mikrotik thing, so very powerful but relatively easy to mess up), to check the configuration and passwords to figure out what was going on with the mobiles. Turns out when I put that in, I'd made a typo in the IP address and put it into a range I use for server stuff, rather than the networking stuff. Which was fine, until I'd put the new instance of Home Assistant on to the server, and gave it the next "free" IP, which happened to be the same as the one being used by the access point. Hence weird issues, depending upon which of the three access points in the house the mobile device connected to.  :facepalm:

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4217 on: 05 February, 2024, 10:28:02 pm »
A couple of weeks ago I removed my front and rear lights from the Bloo Bike, which lives in the unheated, slightly damp, splendour of the SEECRIT BUNKER, to save them from a premature corroded death.
I put them in a Safe Place for future use.

A couple of days ago I spotted one of them in An Unusual Location. At the time I thought, Ooh, that's an Unusual Location and got on with what I was doing.

Last night, in preparation for today's commute I looked for them.  Could I recall the Safe Place or the Unusual Location? Could I bollocks.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4218 on: 06 February, 2024, 07:08:19 am »
Tell me if you spot my varus insole when you're looking for them.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #4219 on: 06 February, 2024, 11:48:55 am »
A couple of weeks ago I removed my front and rear lights from the Bloo Bike, which lives in the unheated, slightly damp, splendour of the SEECRIT BUNKER, to save them from a premature corroded death.

A couple of days ago I spotted one of them in An Unusual Location. At the time I thought, Ooh, that's an Unusual Location and got on with what I was doing.

Last night, in preparation for today's commute I looked for them.  Could I recall the Safe Place or the Unusual Location? Could I bollocks.

They're next to the whatchamacallit, on top of the whojamaflip, just below the thingemybob...

HTH!
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4220 on: 07 February, 2024, 09:08:31 pm »

Update: Visiting a client office today to give a presentation, I rummaged in my work back pack to dig out some stuffs. I encounter the rear light. Further rummaging reveals the front light. I think I must have put them in there to free up my hands when moving assorted crap from the car.

They once were lost, but now are found.
Let joy be unconfined.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4221 on: 07 February, 2024, 09:22:55 pm »
I spent some quality time looking for some DIN connectors[1] that I'd put aside for next time barakta had hip surgery.  Unfortunately, I've since had a tidy-up of my electronics component storage and therefore couldn't find them in a) the "Audio connectors" box, 2) the "Misc connectors" box  or  iii) any of the boxes for small components that don't warrant their own box.

In the process, I took the opportunity to move some spare reed switches from the "Stuff pertaining to the alerting system" box to the "Switches" box, where I came across the collection of tactile switches in assorted (invariably wrong) sizes.  This functioned as a Clue, so I went to check the little component drawer where the tacticle switches used to live, and discovered a rich vein of Germany's worst a few rows down.    :thumbsup:

[1] To extend the cable of the titling bed controls, which is one of those curly cables that's got almost no elasticity to speak of, and therefore springs itself to the floor as soon as you fail to maintain a grip on it.  It's a standard 5-pin DIN, but the bastards used the shell of the connector for one of the conductors, so the off-the-shelf MIDI extension cable I bought for the purpose spectacularly failed to work.  I'd ordered some appropriately metal plugs last time, but with barakta discharging herself from hospital with two hours notice, I'd bodged it up with a Stanley knife and lashings of insulation tape and forgotten about it.

« Reply #4222 on: 07 February, 2024, 09:23:34 pm »

Update: Visiting a client office today to give a presentation, I rummaged in my work back pack to dig out some stuffs. I encounter the rear light. Further rummaging reveals the front light. I think I must have put them in there to free up my hands when moving assorted crap from the car.

They once were lost, but now are found.
Let joy be unconfined.
I feel I can breathe again.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #4223 on: 08 February, 2024, 10:36:20 am »
Ah, reed switches. I honed my soldering iron skills as a ‘prentice some mumble mumble years ago whilst spending most of my 4 week placement in a TXE2 exchange replacing hundreds of reed switches. Those that had been used were causing a disproportionate number of faults in such exchanges because the contacts had developed a ‘stickiness’ and many of them were remaining closed when the current was removed from the windings of the actuation coil.

What fun I had.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4224 on: 09 February, 2024, 09:36:33 pm »

Sharp things are sharp...

Having sharpened my new block plane, I managed to cut my finger with it the first time I use it.

And of course it's so sharp I don't even notice. And I got blood all over my wood box I was making.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/