Author Topic: Big Garden Birdwatch  (Read 7808 times)

nicknack

• Hornblower
Re: Big Garden Birdwatch
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2021, 11:01:43 am »
2 robins.
2 more than last year then.
The birds round here don't like being counted.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2021, 11:18:29 am »
2 robins.

Well we have much greater biodiversity round here. I saw a robin and a blackbird. 5 minutes before I’d got sorted there were  various tits, sparrows and a pigeon.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2021, 12:13:18 pm »
I did this yesterday with some strange results. The almost ever present Great Tit and flock of Parakeets stayed away so I couldn't count them, though they were back in fine vocal form first thing this morning. In their place we had six Long Tailed Tits, a rarity, and a male Great Spotted Woodpecker, only seen once before in about 25 years.
I hope somebody does something useful with this information.
Mustn't grumble in the circumstances .

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2021, 01:14:15 pm »
2 robins.

Well we have much greater biodiversity round here. I saw a robin and a blackbird. 5 minutes before I’d got sorted there were  various tits, sparrows and a pigeon.
We've got plenty here normally. Just not on Birdwatch day.  :(

« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2021, 08:42:42 am »
6 Jackdaws
4 Wood pigeons
4 Collard doves
7 House sparrows
2 Tree sparrows
1 Dunnock
4 Blue tits
1 Great tit
1 Greenfinch
2 Goldfinches
2 Chaffinches
2 Robins
4 Blackbirds
1 Thrush

A higher number of jackdaws than usual (normal only two) but a much lower number of sparrows, I have counted 17 on the feeders at once before.
Usually there are several dunnocks skulking around as well but in the hour we watched non until one turned up at the last minute.
I expected more goldfinches and chaffinches as well but they were being shy.

Non of the less common visitors showed up today. The cock pheasant who comes about twice a week was elsewhere as were the long tailed tits, coal tits, greater spotted woodpecker, nuthatch, wrens and sparrow hawk. Mind you if the sparrow hawk had shown up there wouldn't have been much else to count as everything else hid.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2021, 09:40:47 pm »
Hmm - we never see as many birds as usual when it is BGB time.
I'm developing a theory that the publicity build up in the couple of weeks beforehand causes more folks to put out food in more gardens. Certainly the village school always does. As the village is more sheltered than our garden, I suspect the birds spend more time hanging around there than usual.  And they come back to us when the easier food runs out because other gardeners don't maintain the supply.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2021, 09:13:47 am »
You may have a point. In the space of 5 minutes in the rain this morning I saw:
2 Robins
2 Blue tits
1 Blackbird
6 Long tailed tits
2 Dunnocks
1 House sparrow

It's also pretty unusual for there to be no magpies or wood pigeons about. Had a heron strutting about on the grass a couple of weeks ago - that's fairly unusual.

<edit> Update. Magpies are back.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2021, 10:35:13 am »
Yes, we usually get great tits, collared doves, crows, great spotted woodpeckers and jackdaws which were missing from my list. There have been fieldfares and redwings lurking about too.

« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2021, 02:13:56 pm »
And today the Black Grouse turn up. I swear they know when its BGB

« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2021, 07:28:30 pm »
Bit of a washout here. No birds turned up - well, one pigeon I think, but that ignored the food we'd put out and ate berries off the ivy instead. Every now and then we find a neighbouring place that seems to have a whole flock, but in general bird activity seems quite low.

Given that our food is not selling, my wife is suggesting offering them discount vouchers.