Author Topic: Phototalk random thread  (Read 15634 times)

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
Re: Phototalk random thread
« Reply #100 on: March 05, 2020, 01:08:41 pm »
Here's a bit of a laff.  I have a Nikon D600 and a Nikon V1. They both take the same type of battery, an EN-EL15.  A couple of days ago I recharged the battery from the V1 and put it back: the V1 then said "this battery has reached the end of its useful life and can no longer be used in this camera".  But in the D600 it still shows a full charge - and after shooting a time-lapse 25' long with AF & built-in flash every 5", it's showing 80% capacity, assuming that the blob scale in the control panel is linear and not borrowed from a Morris Minor.

I reckon that merits a medium-long Hmm...

I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2020, 09:40:19 am »
Anyone know where I put the 67mm polarising filter for my Canon?  All this beautiful sunshine needs  a PL filter.......

« Reply #102 on: April 17, 2020, 10:55:07 am »
I think you put it with my dymo labeller. Does that help?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #103 on: April 17, 2020, 10:56:17 am »
Ah, it is you that has lost my dymo labeller then...
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2020, 01:53:06 pm »
I think you put it with my dymo labeller. Does that help?
No, no.  I know where your Dymo labeller is...............

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2020, 03:45:00 pm »
42 years ago I graduated with a degree in photographic science, so I was somewhat embarrassed to discover something moderately fundamental that I'm sure I should have known about.
If you stick a close up lens on a long focus lens you can get closer (effectively, IYSWIM) than you can with the close up lens on a short focus lens. Since the closest focus of a long focus lens is always further away than that of a similar shorter focus one this seems somewhat counter-intuitive. At least, it does to me. 42 years obviously scrambles the brain cells. If I thought really hard and drew some ray diagrams I could probably prove it but ICBA.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #106 on: June 07, 2020, 09:44:37 pm »
My Panasonic GX80 keeps thinking we're in 2016 whenever I remove the battery, I'm bored with resetting it.  Any ideas what the fault might be?  I'm assuming there's something in there that's supposed to hold some charge to keep the clock running.  Anyone had something similar and fixed it?  It's an irritation rather than a problem, I've got nothing against 2016.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #107 on: June 08, 2020, 07:00:34 am »
This is all the manual says on the subject:
The clock setting is maintained for 3 months using the built-in clock battery even
without the battery.
(Leave the charged battery in the unit for 24 hours to charge the built-in battery.)
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #108 on: June 24, 2020, 10:41:53 pm »
Olympus ending camera side of business:

https://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2020/06/olympus-is-getting-out-of-the-camera-game/

This transition could be especially important for anyone with a Micro Four Thirds camera, which is a camera format that has been jointly managed by Olympus and Panasonic since its creation back in 2008. However, with Olympus now getting out the camera market and Panasonic having found success with its recent line of full-frame mirrorless cameras, it quite possible that Olympus’s exit from the camera world could also result in the death of the Micro Four Thirds standard sometime in the not-too-distant future.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #109 on: June 25, 2020, 03:46:47 am »
Olympus ending camera side of business:
Not exactly. They have sold the camera business to another company, who will continue to make cameras. Probably the same brands, and mostly Micro 4/3.

As for Panasonic, I don't think their full frame range has been that popular yet. It is more of an expensive niche. I'm sure they are still outsold by their Micro 4/3 cameras.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #110 on: June 25, 2020, 08:47:13 am »
It is a loverly system, with some great lenses, and performance that knocks older full frame performance into a cocked hat. If I want shoulder ache and to know I've been on a shoot (or very low light performance, or more subject separation), I take the Full Frame kit. Otherwise it's the Olympus M3/4 every time.
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.