Author Topic: Long Itch Skillshare Weekend: 6th - 8th May 2016  (Read 42413 times)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Re: Long Itch Skillshare Weekend: 6th - 8th May 2016
« Reply #25 on: 09 February, 2016, 08:36:34 am »
I'm probably in. I'm also up for offering sign language skillshare either outside if weather and light is good, or one evening in the backroom of the pub.

« Reply #26 on: 09 February, 2016, 08:45:48 am »
Hi PB

Any problems with me coming along for just the Saturday? I can't do the whole weekend as CBH is away that weekend caring for her Aged Mother, so I have to stay at home and look after the cats...we are up to caring for nine of the little bleepers at the moment!  :facepalm:

Also, any idea how long the ride out is going to be? I was just wondering if I would have sufficient range to do this and to cycle from Leamington Station and back, rather than driving down.

Cheers.

Flying visits, one night visits, etc. are just fine.   Feel free to join in.

The ride is around 40 miles.   Last year it split into a two as there was a need for a slower bod to take a slightly shorter route.   Timetable is on the OP.

If you can manage 50 miles in a day then you should be OK with a leamington hop as the ride pace will be modest.   This aint no audax.   :)    You could also possibly arrange a return train via Rugby if that would suit you better.   

« Reply #27 on: 09 February, 2016, 09:06:22 am »
I'm probably in. I'm also up for offering sign language skillshare either outside if weather and light is good, or one evening in the backroom of the pub.

Hmmm, speed chess or BSL on Saturday evening.   I can see the comedy in flailing arms or chess pieces and beer so perhaps a vote is in order.

I wonder if we could also manage a Friday evening Skillshare perhaps?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #28 on: 09 February, 2016, 09:32:53 am »
Hmm. Penciled in in a vague commitment kind of a way. I can bring blow pipes and darts to augment the potential air rifles if you like.

If Charlotte brings a compound bow we can kill everyone can have a wonderful time.
Yeahbut you'll be there with a workstand and tools to put everyone back together again after, won't you. Won't you?  :o
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #29 on: 09 February, 2016, 09:36:38 am »
Can we look forward to your excellent company Cudzo?

essexian

« Reply #30 on: 09 February, 2016, 09:40:10 am »
Cheers PB.

I'll aim to arrive in plenty of time for the ride out and then play it by ear. I've not done 50 miles for a couple of years but as I am planning to do the whole of the Cumbrian Coast in September, I best get some practice in!

See you there.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #31 on: 09 February, 2016, 09:47:41 am »
NO! I'll be there anyway.  :demon:

(Serious answer: not sure yet. This weekend always clashes with things! The weekend after works perfectly for me... )
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #32 on: 09 February, 2016, 10:10:29 am »
Cheers PB.

I'll aim to arrive in plenty of time for the ride out and then play it by ear. I've not done 50 miles for a couple of years but as I am planning to do the whole of the Cumbrian Coast in September, I best get some practice in!

See you there.

We'll look forward to seeing you.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #33 on: 09 February, 2016, 10:11:03 am »
NO! I'll be there anyway.  :demon:

(Serious answer: not sure yet. This weekend always clashes with things! The weekend after works perfectly for me... )

I'll put you down as provisional.   Suits you Sir!   

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #34 on: 09 February, 2016, 03:48:35 pm »
Sounds fun. Over far away for me though!

« Reply #35 on: 09 February, 2016, 04:05:09 pm »
We would like to be there. Subject to events.

:)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #36 on: 09 February, 2016, 04:17:55 pm »
I have a target price now for the field so will work out what is needed and monitor demand.   I think that we will manage it though.   :)

« Reply #37 on: 09 February, 2016, 04:18:57 pm »
We would like to be there. Subject to events.

:)

Lovely.  Hope that you do make it.

« Reply #38 on: 09 February, 2016, 09:10:31 pm »
we are looking at a family visit, all 4 of us...

Friday night, where we can pitch enormo-tent (bought it cheap locally, it turns out its not a 6 man, whoever told us that had the bag upside down.... and our garden isn't big enough to pitch it in!!) or possibly something else

I'm under the impression that we may all ride out to Somersault*  May need to discuss the route and suitability for kids, non riding wife.

I'd still like to do the sign language

We then may or may not stay saturday night as well*

* there is a voice of dissent regarding cycling and camping in inappropriate weather which may affect length of stay
   (also we need to arrange a dog-sitter)

« Reply #39 on: 09 February, 2016, 09:26:47 pm »
Hmmm, four of you and a preference for BSL.   I'll have to ask Barakta if she is prepared to do her session on Friday evening (oh, I jsut have  ;) ) leaving sped chess for Saturday if Wow is happy with this.

The ride pace will be for the pace of the slowest and I have a short cut for a slow breakaway group if required.

You'll miss loads of fun if you don't stay for Saturday as well.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #40 on: 09 February, 2016, 09:29:51 pm »
I'm fine with speed chess whenever people want to play. The sets & boards will be available all weekend.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #41 on: 09 February, 2016, 10:05:22 pm »
Tia Maria for Black. Baileys for White.

You're welcome!

Yuk...

Okay. Port for black and brandy for white. Might be a tad spendy...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #42 on: 10 February, 2016, 01:22:03 pm »
This sounds fun....

I'm kinda new around here but would be up for at least some of it.....

Can I express provisional interest atm?

Mike

« Reply #43 on: 10 February, 2016, 01:29:52 pm »
expressing provisional interest. I'm attempting the Welsh Ride Thing (bike-packing) event the week before, and this is around the time of Miss (step) Moultonaught the senior's 18th birthday, so I'm not sure yet what else is going on...
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #44 on: 10 February, 2016, 04:41:13 pm »
I'm going to have to cycle there - all 130 miles or so e/w. National Express would take for ever and cost £80 rtn. Which, for some reason, feels pricey. Probably because the last time I used National Express you could travel the length of the kingdom for about half a groat (and get coffee from the stewardess - which I suspect is unlikely today).

There seem to be a couple of decent (or, at least well reviewed) camp sites between Reading and Oxford that I could use.

Thu:    Home -> Transit camp         - 70 miles
Fri:    Transit Camp -> Long Itch    - 60 miles
Sat:    Long Itch Jollies & day ride - 40 miles (but I reserve the right to opt out and sit on a log smoking a pipe and fishing instead)
Sun:    Long Itch -> Transit Camp    - 60 miles
Mon:    Transit Camp -> Home         - 70 miles

That's a lot of cycling. So fingers crossed that my back sorts itself out before then.

« Reply #45 on: 10 February, 2016, 05:05:37 pm »
This sounds fun....

I'm kinda new around here but would be up for at least some of it.....

Can I express provisional interest atm?

Mike

You can indeed.   I will update the OP.

expressing provisional interest. I'm attempting the Welsh Ride Thing (bike-packing) event the week before, and this is around the time of Miss (step) Moultonaught the senior's 18th birthday, so I'm not sure yet what else is going on...

Is this provisional and on your lonesome?   If I said "forks" to you ...   ;)   

« Reply #46 on: 10 February, 2016, 05:07:16 pm »
I'm going to have to cycle there - all 130 miles or so e/w. National Express would take for ever and cost £80 rtn. Which, for some reason, feels pricey. Probably because the last time I used National Express you could travel the length of the kingdom for about half a groat (and get coffee from the stewardess - which I suspect is unlikely today).

There seem to be a couple of decent (or, at least well reviewed) camp sites between Reading and Oxford that I could use.

Thu:    Home -> Transit camp         - 70 miles
Fri:    Transit Camp -> Long Itch    - 60 miles
Sat:    Long Itch Jollies & day ride - 40 miles (but I reserve the right to opt out and sit on a log smoking a pipe and fishing instead)
Sun:    Long Itch -> Transit Camp    - 60 miles
Mon:    Transit Camp -> Home         - 70 miles

That's a lot of cycling. So fingers crossed that my back sorts itself out before then.

You could hide your air rifle amongst your fishing rods strapped to your top tube.   :D

« Reply #47 on: 10 February, 2016, 06:38:20 pm »
PB: I'd reply I'm forking useless ;D

Not sure if just me or others. Becky (Mrs Moultonaught) has a lovely recumbent thanks to the ads on this here marvellous forum.....

not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

« Reply #48 on: 10 February, 2016, 07:20:15 pm »
Can I be a provisional? I'd love to come, but am not sure I'll be able to find the free time. Even if I can't do the camping, I might be able to pop down for the ride on the Saturday.

What are the roads down from Brum like? I quite fancy a ride down, but train assistance may be more realistic...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #49 on: 10 February, 2016, 07:40:34 pm »
What are the roads down from Brum like? I quite fancy a ride down, but train assistance may be more realistic...

You've got a climb out of Birmingham however you play it.  The Old Warwick Road is eminently cycleable.  There are motorists in Leamington Spa.  It's uphill all the way back.