Author Topic: Getting faster when getting into mid 50s ? A dream or a possibility  (Read 20775 times)

Re: Getting faster when getting into mid 50s ? A dream or a possibility
« Reply #150 on: August 28, 2019, 01:43:19 pm »
I've just had my work-dictated annual health check (mandated for over-50s).

Results were good. Cholesterol overall result in the 'green' for the first time in many years. V02Max now measured to be 45 (sadly couldn't be compared to last year as they changed measuring method). It is measured on a Watt bike. FTP was pathetic 193, but I wouldn't expect it to be high, since I don't train my legs, and they stopped the test as soon as I said my legs felt any strain at all! I was only just getting out of breath and heart rate steady at 157 - it hadn't been going up.

Body fat (measured by electrodes) down to 15% from 18%. Weight down to 72.4 from 75kg.

That isn't so good, actually. I haven't gained muscle mass, despite the training. I've lost fat, that is all.

As fast as I am building muscle, I'm burning it, and fat. Just can't pack in enough calories to keep up.

Resulting recommendation was

"Use an app to track food intake, don't lose any more weight. You are catabolic, you are burning your own body for fuel."

I already consume protein shakes. Going to have to try adding something to the shakes to up the calories.
<i>Marmite slave</i>