Author Topic: Utilitarian Adventures  (Read 40798 times)

Re: Utilitarian Adventures
« Reply #500 on: July 05, 2017, 01:55:04 pm »
Inspection of what? Were you inspecting or being inspected?
Pleasure spreads out on the map and the knapsack is full of joy.

MikeFromLFE

• Previously known as Millimole
« Reply #501 on: July 14, 2017, 07:46:25 am »
Yesterday evening I found myself at a meeting - on the future of the European Emissions Trading Scheme <yawn> - near the Barbican in London, so I hired a Boris Bike (do we still call them that? Are they now Sadiq's Santander Sycles?) to get me back to St Pancras.
That was two of those London Pounds very well spent. A great blast along wide, not too busy, streets, with the occasional passing waft of music coming out of pubs, on a pleasantly warm evening.
I must say though that part of London has developed more inclines than when I last rode round there some 40+ years ago - I thing the Crossrail diggings are creating folds in the landscape.

Tapatalk puts this signature here, not me!
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

rr

« Reply #502 on: July 14, 2017, 12:55:24 pm »
Inspection of what? Were you inspecting or being inspected?
Inspecting a local construction site - my job.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #503 on: July 25, 2017, 11:11:17 am »
I cycled to and from personal training this morning. Strangely it was easier on the way back!

« Reply #504 on: August 02, 2017, 12:22:49 pm »
Took two panniers full of books to the charity bookshop. Heavier than camping!

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #505 on: September 20, 2017, 04:51:17 pm »
Had a Most Unproductive Utilitarian Adventure this morning.

I needed to go to the shop for a few groceries, just the right amount to fit into a brommie bar bag. Off I toddled to the shop, which is where I realised that having a large bar bag, that is the perfect size to fit your shop into, only really works if the bag is attached to your bike and not still sitting at home near the front door. :facepalm:

I duly rode home, and I haven't quite learned the warren of cyclepaths around here yet... riding home took a little longer than planned  :-[

No matter! It's my day off, it's sunny, and no time spent on a bicycle is wasted! Off I rode again, with barbag, to discover that sed shoppe isn't open anyway, for some reason. It's a Wednesday, equivalent to Sunday thanks to my shift pattern, so any reasoning is pretty much impenetrable at this point! So I rode home, got Mildly Lost again, then drove to the horriblemarket because by now I was sick of all this faffing and the need for loo roll was, by now, rather pressing.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #506 on: September 20, 2017, 05:58:28 pm »
I stuffed a childhood's worth of mostly vaguely crappish toys into a pair of Super C panniers and took them to a charity shop.

« Reply #507 on: October 20, 2017, 12:58:50 pm »
Felt like a bit of an adventure in the dark and rain last night. Only a couple of miles up the road but crazy traffic at 7 pm. To make it more adventurous, I was riding in long trousers for the first time since, well since spring I suppose.

« Reply #508 on: October 29, 2017, 06:53:45 pm »
Looking at a week of bikes being my only form of non walking transport as wife's away with the car. Started with a cycle with the monkeys to mother's for dinner and a cycle back with one protesting as stuck her in the burley trailer as it was dark and she was too tired to scoot home.

« Reply #509 on: November 05, 2017, 06:52:32 pm »
Little Joe's birthday party today at the Tyneside Cinema in Newcastle.  The Helios in cargo mode made light work of transporting all the party food there, one of his friends turned up on the back of a tandem with his Dad which was cool.

« Reply #510 on: November 10, 2017, 04:36:36 pm »
Rode a Sadiq Cycle from Waterloo to King's Cross this afternoon.  Not very economical as my rail ticket already included the tube,  much more satisfying though.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #511 on: November 10, 2017, 08:58:35 pm »
Rode a Sadiq Cycle from Waterloo to King's Cross this afternoon.  Not very economical as my rail ticket already included the tube,  much more satisfying though.
I did the same journey on Tuesday and the reverse on Wednesday also with a perfectly good drain ticket in my pocket.  I was on a folder which is merely quite heavy and flexible rather than the depleted uranium hire option.  Enjoyed it on the way north, encountered a couple of minor league MMs on the way south but still enjoyed it. 
2017 targets: Two achieved, the two remaining look to be at significant risk.

« Reply #512 on: November 15, 2017, 10:06:27 pm »
To the station to collect tomorrows ticket and then the Co-op to buy some coffee to start the day.

Via the dark cycle path to check the light.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #513 on: November 15, 2017, 10:48:40 pm »
Collected bike from Decathlon workshop, returned unwanted leggings to the same and then home via pub quiz (we came 2nd).